Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LPG conversion

Options
  • 15-02-2006 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

I was thinking of converting my e200t to lpg. More of a project aswell and i only use the car at weekends so the relatively unavailability of lpg is not such a concern.

however i have been doing some figures. the cost of conversion is 1550euros from a reputable guy out in wicklow. the cost of lpg is something like 75cents. Regular around 106. But lpg is something like 20% less efficient than petrol so that makes lpg around 94cents.

I dont know if some of ye have read this article in the sunday business post (http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2005/07/31/story6710.asp) but i cant see how it is in any way cost effective to convert.

(also am slighty concerned that a garage that was listed on the on the ilpga site as having lpg; the lpg nozzle had changed to a diesel one!)

Any one here done the figures, converted, running lpg. Love to know what you think.

cheers....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The relative discount is higher in the UK and there is a grant for conversion so it is now more popular there.

The price difference here means that you need to be doing high mileage for it to pay for itself so I am not sure that a weekend car would be able to cover the cost of conversion.

The rarity of suppliers isn't really a big problem, as long as there is one close to you that you can regularly fill up at. The conversion keeps the petrol tank so if you get caught out you can change over with a flick of a switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LPG has died the death here, I can't think of a single local garage that supplies it now.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

LPG used to be the fuel of choice for most company cars in the Netherlands in the 70s and 80s with a literprice of less than half that of petrol iirc so the cut-off point would be reached at slightly above average annual mileage. Now the vast majority of company cars are diesel in the Netherlands

All a matter of government exise / subsidy policies really

Conversion is only viable if you make up for it in fuel use, i.e. high mileage so I wouldn't advise it for a low mileage weekend car

Also there's the risk the Irish government might change their mind overnight regarding excise policy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The only place I've seen LPG recently is the maxol on the lower kimmage road. I think the litre price was in the 90c range. I remember thinking how pointless LPG was at that price. Maybe other garages do it cheaper but to me it doesn't seem worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

As for that ILPGA website, it's one of the worst designed sites I've seen in about 10 years and it's content is about 10 years old too given that it lists a number of 'Jet' service stations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

yeah could not agree with you more but why then was the motoring correspondent in the sbpost saying that if you converted you could run a 4litre jag for the price of a 1.6 mondeo. the converter out in wicklow says that he has a 2 month waiting list for conversions.....!?
    alias no.9 wrote:
    The only place I've seen LPG recently is the maxol on the lower kimmage road. I think the litre price was in the 90c range. I remember thinking how pointless LPG was at that price. Maybe other garages do it cheaper but to me it doesn't seem worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

A mate of mine who is a mechanic with a busy Galway garage has taken three LPG systems out of cars in the last year - proof of it being pointless if you ask me. If it is a low mileage car and you are looking for a project, why not convert it to run on ethanol and start making the stuff yourself. Alternatively convert it to diesel and run it on biofuel? I saw a 1967 Landrover which was run on old chip fat the other day (very economical, very smelly)

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

convert it to run on ethanol and start making the stuff yourself

0% excise duty
    0% VAT
    0% profits for the fat cat fuel station owner
    0% profits for the fat cat oil companies
    near 0% pollution
    high octane

And if the project doesn't quite work out, you could always add some essence and drink it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

unkel wrote:
    add some essence and drink it :cool:
    I'm not sure what the people who sell Smirnoff Ice would think - its pretty much the same thing...

I'm sure someone in Mexico has developed a decent home distillery for ethanol - most cars there are set up to run on it.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Chap I know runs a 95 1.7d vectra on chip oil, has a simple unit of a high pressure pump and a heater element arund the fuel filter, works like a charm, smells like a chippers! Trouble with any fuel conversion is that if it takes off and becomes popular then Mr government will find some way to tax the bolix out of it. They'd try to tax air if we could run on compression units:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement