Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrapping old car

Options
  • 15-02-2006 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

If you have an old car and you want to scrap it, where do you go? How much does it cost? I live in the Fingal area.

Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Obscure wrote:
    If you have an old car and you want to scrap it, where do you go? How much does it cost? I live in the Fingal area.

Tks

Most scrap yards will come and haul the car away for you. They will of course charge you for this service. They will tell you they are doing you a favor.

Try and take things from the car first that you know are in good condition and can easily be sold on, eg, tyres, battery or radio, etc. Then sell them on ebay or buy and sell, you might make a few extra quid selling them as individual components.

I think but not 100% sure that your local council can have it hauled away also, might be worth enquiring from them first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Was there not an EU directive where last year €150 was added to the price of all new cars so that old ones could be scrapped?

I don't think you should be paying anything, lob is outside the main dealer of whatever make the car is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

One person's oul banger is another person's classic :D

What sort of car is it ?

I think there's been a clean up of abandoned cars recently. I knew of half a dozen around the place, been there for a l-o-n-g time. Last week, every single one of them had disappeared. Which is sad, 'cos one was an Omega and I need a few bits for an Omega. Grrr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Dublin City Council will remove vehicled for €30, not sure if they will cover all council areas in Dublin.

www.dublincity.ie/sitetools/faq/faq_waste_management/abandoned_vehicles_removal.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Dublin City Council will remove vehicled for €30, not sure if they will cover all council areas in Dublin.

www.dublincity.ie/sitetools/faq/faq_waste_management/abandoned_vehicles_removal.asp

They charged me €40 in the SDCC area, compeltely hassle free. All they said was, give us the reg (&some other details), send in the owner form & €40. Leave the car unlocks & that's it.

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

What forms other then the ownership ones do you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What car is it? What condition is it in? Could a buck be made from it do you reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

What forms other then the ownership ones do you need?

None - It didn't even need to be declared "off the road".

A neighbour had given it to me (was 18 yrs old, NCT due in a month at the time) while my own car was being repaired.

It was as simple as that.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Obscure

Fingal CoCo are going to take it for €50. They say it will take maybe a week but better than paying scrap yard >100 to take it.

BTW: Its a 85 Mazda 323. Not in too bad condition except that theres an awful screech coming of the engine which continues until you reach around 20/30 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I thought I heard on the Radio (Friday) about a government plan to give people money or a grant to do away with thier old cars? Don't know what the proposed mechanism is but you could be sitting on a fortune...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement