Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody using Magnet in D15 and your thoughts please?

• 15-02-2006 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

Well the heading speaks for itself, I'm in the Carpenterstown area of Castleknock and I heard MAgnet is available in the area. I'm with NTL, should I stay or should I go ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Drapper wrote:
    Well the heading speaks for itself, I'm in the Carpenterstown area of Castleknock and I heard MAgnet is available in the area. I'm with NTL, should I stay or should I go ??

I do not have Magnet (I do have NTL & Blueface) so far I have seen no advantage of changing to Magnet and have seen a few disadvantages (worse GUI, pixelation etc.) I have also heard of alot of problems getting set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

paulm17781 wrote:
    I do not have Magnet (I do have NTL & Blueface) so far I have seen no advantage of changing to Magnet and have seen a few disadvantages (worse GUI, pixelation etc.) I have also heard of alot of problems getting set up.

Thanks for that, I want them purely for BB, Eircom fialed my line on DSL 1, Magnet are using DSL2 and it may reach (eventhought I'm about 3 km frm the BLanch exchange) ! just curious, imho DSL is alot more stable than cable, from my experience....

Drapper wrote:
    imho DSL is alot more stable than cable, from my experience....

I've had the opposite in two seperate places. That is why I always recommend NTL if it is available. I have heard that D15 is bad though. What about Smart? If it is purely for BB the disadvantage Smart has is that it is cheaper. :D

paulm17781 wrote:
    I've had the opposite in two seperate places. That is why I always recommend NTL if it is available. I have heard that D15 is bad though. What about Smart? If it is purely for BB the disadvantage Smart has is that it is cheaper. :D

With a population of about 500k people I've no idea why SMART are not in the d15 area !! say its some delay in opening up the Eircom Exchange Arrhhhhhh as for MAgnet they are tring to get FTTH to a few area in Clonsilla and Navan ROad area from what I've heard, a BB blackspot !! they must be able to piggyback ADSL2 off this FTTH

Drapper wrote:
    With a population of about 500k people I've no idea why SMART are not in the d15 area !! say its some delay in opening up the Eircom Exchange Arrhhhhhh as for MAgnet they are tring to get FTTH to a few area in Clonsilla and Navan ROad area from what I've heard, a BB blackspot !!

So Magnet are offering BB from the exchange and Smart aren't? I can't see what environmental factors prevent Smart gaining access to the exchange yet allow Magnet. FTTH won't affect you, they only do this in new developments I think.

• Advertisement

paulm17781 wrote:
    So Magnet are offering BB from the exchange and Smart aren't? I can't see what environmental factors prevent Smart gaining access to the exchange yet allow Magnet. FTTH won't affect you, they only do this in new developments I think.

I can only assume MAgnet are in now that Netsource was bought out... they have been in the BLanch Exchange for a while.

BT have broken fibre down to mini units adjacent to fibre wrings for businesses in many area and provided coppper DSL services, thought Magnet might do this too along fibre routes, are you saying they need to switch everything from the exchange ? bahhhh there will be no progress :-(

Drapper wrote:
    are you saying they need to switch everything from the exchange ? bahhhh there will be no progress :-(

That is what I am saying but don't take what I say as gospel. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Blanch Exchange is now included on the Smart Network Build List - wasn't in the past ... so looks like Smart actively want Blanch area to be covered

anyone with them in d15?

bump

• Advertisement
Advertisement