Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What defines a 'luxury' apartment?

Options
  • 15-02-2006 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

while I was looking around for a place to move to last, year, I noticed that so many places have the term 'luxury' in them.

What is this about?

I lived in a 480 square meter, two floor Penthouse in the middle of Nuernberg, Germnay, bafore I moved to Ireland, and woudl consider somethign with that magnitude as luxury.

A lot of the places i looked at here though with that term in them, would have only gotten the classification as 'normal' or 'moderate' from me.

coudl someone please explain

cheers

Gilgamesh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

.....the estate agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

.....the estate agent.

baddum tish.....

so there isn't a real definition for it, is that what you are saying?

just went through my head when I read the thread in here about the single bedroom in galway in a 'lucury' apartment, and before I was going to thread spoil, I thought I would post it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

There is no restrictions on what you can say in property brochures, unlike in Britain where there is legislation in place. Sometimes you'll even find parts of the house talked up that were built without planning permission and you as the new owner will have to apply for retention. The small print in the brochure makes it clear that they are not responsible for any inaccuracy in the brochure, nor do they form part of a binding contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

You see first you had flats...

Then you had apartments....

And now you have luxury apartments!

What's next!

Thought it meant 'inside toilets'...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Imposter wrote:
    You see first you had flats...

Then you had apartments....

What's next!

The funny thing is technically speaking a flat is bigger as it means a whole floor of a building where an apartment only means a section. I guess it depends on the building but still.

I always take luxury to mean above standard fittings so things like light switches aren't just the basic white plastic ones. Generally it seems to mean nothing that people really notice or think has value. I can assure you when you go to change a light switch from a standard one to a chrome one you will see the differnce. Minor costs really but they can add a large cost to a house. If you cost a building with standard materials and then add an extra 10% for unpgrading fittings you seem to be able to get an extra 10-15% on the asking price. Presentaton makes a big deal to people.

I do feel sorry for inexperienced people buying there is so much to know and most of it is really only gain through experience. It is very easy to panic too especially in this market.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Imposter wrote:

What's next!

Ground floor penthouse suites (luxury ones of course) on Sherriff St .

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Typically its more about the rent than the finish.

Before I would describe something as luxury, it would need:

Minimum bathroom + en-suite and en-suite for every second bedroom
    Room sizes materially exceed DoEn standards
    Better security than standard
    Superior finish, especially regarding fittings (kitchen, bathroom, general)
    Hot water on demand together with hot water storage
    Absence of building defects (damp, ventilation, structure, sound)
    Some external space (balcony, garden, parking)
    Not next to a chemical factory, etc
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    Ground floor penthouse suites (luxury ones of course) on Sherriff St .
    :v:

Advertisement