Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic Tanks

Options
  • 15-02-2006 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Does anyone know if septic tanks should be service/drained in their lifetime?

I'm starting to realise that if you maintain/service your house regularly, you don't end up with big problems.
    And I remember someone somewhere said something about draining septic tanks every 10years?

The next question if i do need it serviced, who does that yucky job?

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

www.goldenpages.ie
    Look for waste management companies as a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jasonh

I was looking for advice from our community before attempting to phone a company who are too willing to take money out of your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I was answering your second question.
    I didn't answer the first because I didn't want to spread disinformation.
    That said, my family home's septic tank hasn't been touched in a good 15 years or more (to my knowledge).
    I'll ask d'mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

when our wheelie bin used to get too full I'd squash down the rubbish by standing on it. Maybe the same idea would work with septic tanks?

It's worth a try.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You " Desludge " them as required . In a damp or boggy area this may be required more often than 10 years, sometimes every 20 years or more.

Costs about €150 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jasonh

Syxpak - grand thanks for the heads up on who to call

Silverlining - you'd need big boots for that!

Sponge Bob - How would you know when to 'Desludge' them?

If I remember correctly, before we built the house, we had to get a percolation test done. I think this is to see how slow or fast the 'sludge' goes thru the ground, to make sure it doesn't start infecting water or something. Ours went thru the ground pretty fast, but within the guidelines, that could be to do with our site being on rocky ground.

Please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Advertisement