Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suspension arm bent

Options
  • 15-02-2006 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

My Dad was jacking his Mondeo up but accidentally used a suspension arm to do so which is now bent. I have the car while he's on hols and it seems to handle fine however there's one or two things I have noticed.
    When reversing there is a rubbing sound coming from the back of the car. The steering wheel is slightly off centre now when travelling in a straight line and when I was driving close to a wall earlier I could hear a kind of grinding noise.
    I'll post pictures later....
    I'm just wondering should I stop driving the car, like could I be doing permanent damage to any parts etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

fletch wrote:
    I'm just wondering should I stop driving the car, like could I be doing permanent damage to any parts etc?

Accelerated tyre wear is the most likely worst damage that will occur. It should be possible to get it straightened at one of the smaller tyre/brake places (don't bring it to FastFit :) ) If you turn the steering wheel and try to point the drivers side wheel 'straight', then cross to the other side of the car and see if there an obvious difference in angle of lock, then it needs attention. I thought these had front wishbones and nothing else - please say he didn't jack it on the steering rack track rod. Anti-roll bar shouldn't bend or cause handling to be affected. Pics please...

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

fletch wrote:
    My Dad was jacking his Mondeo up but accidentally used a suspension arm to do so which is now bent.

Is if the track-rod ? ie. the thin one that goes to the steering rack ? If so, those are cheap to replace.

If it's the larger arm that the bottom of the shock connects to, that's a bit more expense.

In any case, the alignment could be out slightly, which will cause the tyre(s) to scrub, so better to deal with it now than later.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Your life and those of any passengers you have or even traffic you are coming up against potentially depend on your tyres, brakes, steering and suspension.

If any of these are faulty I'd suggest immediate remedy/replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Sorry I should have specified it's the suspension at the rear of the car. We had a look at it before it went on hols and it looks handy enough to replace. Anyway will post pics when I get home

Its a flat pressed-steel 'blade' style arm with anti-roll drop links on it - its easy to bend and easy to straighten. A crowbar and some blocks of wood to brace against and you'll be fine. Is the arm rubbing against the wheel?

'c

• Advertisement

Its a flat pressed-steel 'blade' style arm with anti-roll drop links on it - its easy to bend and easy to straighten. A crowbar and some blocks of wood to brace against and you'll be fine. Is the arm rubbing against the wheel?
    'c
    The picture on the left below is the rear passenger side and the one of the right is the driver's side that is damaged...you can see the kink in the arm
    img05448uc.th.jpgimg05413qm.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats gonna kill tyre wear and maybe damage the wheel bearings if left long enough, the good news is that its a stupid bit of steel so can be flattened out again.

Mike.

ps did you tell your dad off yet?! :D

mike65 wrote:
    ps did you tell your dad off yet?! :D
    It's my Mam we're afraid to tell...she'll go mad! It'll be my welcome home from your holiday present to them :D
    Had a look and it looks handy enough to take off 2 so we'll prob give it a go on Sunday maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

you might be better off buying a new one from ford.
    you'll never get it the same as it was b4 it was damaged.

ford part number = 6867577 rear bar stabilizer 4/5 door (not estate) you're talking about €80 approx:eek: .

Scrap yard cheaper still.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

mondeoman wrote:
    you might be better off buying a new one from ford.
    you'll never get it the same as it was b4 it was damaged.
    I was gonna say the same. The bit that's currently under compression (the bottom bit) when bent back will be weakened, and may even crack. The part under stress (you've guessed, the top bit) may buckle. If there's something you don't want it's a suspension arm that may snap and fail at any time. Bad news :eek:

Great thanks for the advice....I didn't like the thoughts of smacking it with a hammer alright.....€80 is nothin to have the car back in proper shape.
    Thanks for all the advice

Well I would'nt recommend slapping it! More a gentle squeeze using wood braces and a few clamps.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

fletch wrote:
    Great thanks for the advice....I didn't like the thoughts of smacking it with a hammer alright.....€80 is nothin to have the car back in proper shape.
    Thanks for all the advice

im not sure if that part comes with the 2 bushes included?,or if you can take the old ones off the bent one.
    if you do need new ones the part numbers are = 6829045 (€6 approx)X2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

id go with a new one personally. ul never get it true, and it will be weakened possibly enough to snap at a critical moment..

Yeah I'd replace it - I was thinking of the trailing arm on the mondeo estate I had which is different to yours. I'd still buy the replacement from a breakers and save a few quid, but I'm tight like that - Ford get enough money as it is. I can't see any sign of what is rubbing though - if you jack the wheel and spin it you might find it is the brakes or something harmless?

'c

Advertisement