Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hibernian/IAM Prov Ignition=SCAM

Options
  • 15-02-2006 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Got a quote of 1500 for 3rd party F&T from Hibernian providing I passed the provisional ignition test. (21 y.o male, no previous insurance, prov licence, 1ltr polo). I thought this was a good quote so I booked the test (fee of 70 euro). I had been taking driving lessons for a number of months and my instructer felt I was ready for the actual DoT test so he said I should have no problem with this Hibernian test.

I failed the Ignition test having thought I had driven flawlessly. Failed on spacing&observation-tester told me that i was too close to the car in front while stopped in traffic.......my instructer had told me as long as you can see the tyres of the car in front then that is adequate spacing, however the tester said that you must see some road also. For this mistake alone i was marked as very high risk (the worst mark possible). I was also marked as Very high risk for observation. I queried this and the instructer said that I never checked my blindspot when exiting a roundabout. There was 12 different areas to be marked on overall in which I scored average in except for my attitude (graded very low risk) and the aforementioned spacing & observation.

I would think that the majority of drivers siting this test will never have been insured before. Hibernian/IAM are looking for a far too high standard from drivers who have no experience!!!!

Comments

So you went for the ignition test after doing driving lessons for your full license? Was the instructor qualified to instruct you how to pass the ignition test?

Just get insured with quinn direct it could work out cheaper and you won't have to fork out for that ****ty ignition course/test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

ronoc wrote:
    So you went for the ignition test after doing driving lessons for your full license? Was the instructor qualified to instruct you how to pass the ignition test?

Just get insured with quinn direct it could work out cheaper and you won't have to fork out for that ****ty ignition course/test.

I'd try AXA first if I was in your situation. Got a quote of ... wait for it ... €6,900 from Quinn (18m 1.4l 94 nissan sunny 1st insurance) for tpft whereas AXA kindly offered me fully comp for €3,800 or tpft for €3,600, my car only cost 600 bloody euro :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'd try AXA first if I was in your situation. Got a quote of ... wait for it ... €6,900 from Quinn (18m 1.4l 94 nissan sunny 1st insurance) for tpft whereas AXA kindly offered me fully comp for €3,800 or tpft for €3,600, my car only cost 600 bloody euro :mad:

Thats crazy, im 19, full license, 1 years 'naed driving experience' and:

I was paying 1100euro fully comp with Quinn on a Rover 214 (103BHP I might add), and when I converted the engine to a 1.8VVC (160BHP rarrr!) im paying 1780 fully comp.

Shop around!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I did the ignition test (not the provisional license one) and the instructors do not give you the results, unless things have changed. I got a call from Hibernian the following day with the result.

From what I made of their ignition courses you would have to be a real danger on the road to fail. They have a grading system and your insurance is discounted based on the grade you achieve. For them to 'refuse' you business based on a practical driving test really does not say much for your driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I got a quote last year from Hibernian for male 21, 2nd provisional, VW Polo 1.4 2000 3rd Party. Provided I was willing to to do the Provisional Ignition it came to €1900 + €70 test fee. I rang Quinn before I applied and they quoted me €1600 for the same details without having to do any course. Shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The real money making scam is that Hibs won't quote anyone without doing the ignition test. Even someone in their 30's with a clean licence for 10+ years. :mad:

Bond-007 wrote:
    The real money making scam is that Hibs won't quote anyone without doing the ignition test. Even someone in their 30's with a clean licence for 10+ years. :mad:

Are you serious?
    I was hoping to transfer my insurance to them next year, ive DONE the Ignition test, nothing about passing it though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Every year at renewal time I phone around, when I ring hibs its "you will have to do the ignition course before we can quote you". Sod that I said.

TBH the Ignition is a joke.

A friend of mine passed it, since he has been in 5 at fault accidents, 1 of them being knocking over a cyclist, so I reckon there'll be a personal in jury claim there.

You'll pass the ignition if you just act like a granny driver for a day, eventhough you might be a wreckless driver. Mind you, same could be said for the driving test

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

I am sitting Ignition , I have full licence over ten years, but first time insuree

Hibernian ins if I pass course is 750 euro; QL is 1180

Shop around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

hibernian qouted me (19m full lic limerick) fully comp 2800 4 a 1.1punto valued about the same. and that was the 20% reduced price after passing ignition. I asked how much if i qualified 4 40% discount she said "nobody does" 20% is the general grade. this makes their original quote more than any other company i tried.

FBD and http://www.brittoninsurance.com (Donegal) give way better quotes than Quinn. A co-workers mum is an insurance broker and says they're the worst company around and have brutal customer service.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Bond-007 wrote:
    That's crazy alright.

I had to sit the Ignition test too, to get covered by Hibernian at the ripe age of 28. Still though, Hibs worked out 400eur cheaper than Quinn at the time (whom I was insured with at the time), so it seemed good enough to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

[ignore me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

kifi wrote:
    I would think that the majority of drivers siting this test will never have been insured before. Hibernian/IAM are looking for a far too high standard from drivers who have no experience!!!!

I had an extremely bad experience with a motorcycle instructor. Also as part of the Ignition test for motorcycles. I've take lessons and driven experienced motorcyclists I know mad with questions. The guy was just pissed that I just wanted the test and didn't want to sign up for "at least" 3 hours of lessons...he argued with me about it...wanted me to sign up with him personally for a few hours training...at 30eur a pop. Just wouldn't accept that I wanted the test (I had rang him on the phone and the only thing we discussed was the test) and couldn't grasp the fact I had done lessons with other people . So he got extremely...extremely...pedantic with me. He passed me in the end. But he said at one point he was going to fail me. A complete moron.

I would argue the toss with him. And get onto your instructor and ask him to call your tester and argue with him. I rarely drive a car but from what you say you're in the right (as far as my car driving lessons go) and Hibernian about it. From what I hear it's not an unusual experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

AFAIK the ignition scheme is a substiute for a NCB.

however the tester said that you must see some road also. For this mistake alone i was marked as very high risk (the worst mark possible).

Tis the "tyres and tarmac" rule. The only reason I can think you got failed is possibly youi continued to stop to closely after it being pointed out? Im guessing here, so don't flame me, I could be way out of ballpark!

I disagree with this its a fairly basic test, learn what you can from it and try again.
    You'll pass the ignition if you just act like a granny driver for a day, eventhough you might be a wreckless driver. Mind you, same could be said for the driving test

Driving "like a granny" will fail you on the ignition scheme(s) too. Unfortunatley, the styles for the IAM\Ignition and THE driving test are a little different.

Stick at it kifi, you'll get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

Forgot to say that when i met the tester on that morning I one of the 1st questions I was asked was "How many times have you sat this test before?'. I found this was a strange question to ask.

I rang Quinn and got a quote of 2300. The young sales girl I was talking to at quinn asked me had i got any other competitive quotes and I went explained all about the Hibernian fiasco. She then replied that she had three of her friends attempt that test with all failing. Sales pitch? I really don't believe that it was just a sales pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

kifi wrote:
    Forgot to say that when i met the tester on that morning I one of the 1st questions I was asked was "How many times have you sat this test before?'. I found this was a strange question to ask.

I rang Quinn and got a quote of 2300. The young sales girl I was talking to at quinn asked me had i got any other competitive quotes and I went explained all about the Hibernian fiasco. She then replied that she had three of her friends attempt that test with all failing. Sales pitch? I really don't believe that it was just a sales pitch

the sales girls at quinn are usually always very nice and genuine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Some of the girls at quinn are nice - some are proper ar$ey in my experience.

The key to cheap car insurance with Quinn is to value your car at €5000 - there was an €800 difference in the quotes between the car being worth €1000 and €5000 :s

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

If anyone wants a Hib policy, why not do it through Tesco.ie as all their policies are through Hibernian and do not require this ignition test.

Mind you I rang Hibernian on friday for a quote and they never mentioned this test to me. I am 30 with a full licence and also a full no claims bonus. The quote they gave me was actually €45 dearer than tesco's one and that did not include the €50 discount that tesco give you. So by going with tesco this year it will work out at €95 cheaper that Hibernian.

So as evertone keeps saying. Shop around.

Advertisement