Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US: 2X14 - "One Of Them" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

• 15-02-2006 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "ONE OF THEM" -

Episode Title: "One Of Them"
    Airdate: Feburary 15th 2006

Synopsis (from TV.Com):

After Sun getting injured, some of the survivors begin to think that one of the "other survivors" might be one of "The Others." When French woman Danielle Rousseau leads Sayid to a mysterious captive in the jungle, he becomes determined to find out if he is one of the "Others.'' Meanwhile, Sawyer discovers Hurley’s potentially devastating breech of the survivors’ trust and blackmails him into helping track an elusive island creature that won’t leave Sawyer alone.

Next New Episode: 2X15 - "Maternity Leave" - March 1st 2006

What did you think of "One Of Them"? 125 votes

0%
    8%
    scojonesChongCatsmokinpotstevejazzxCerebralCortexGone WestcmoneySandalsWellCulturedrandomname3C. 11 votes
    18%
    KamikazeBKtjekaimeragarthvdoh.ieKur4mAfjonfeylyaSauronvibe666matrimduridianStephen PSnake PliskenSherifuFrankieboyfun busGoolayGrumPyshuushh 23 votes
    32%
    YakuzawhitetrashsmilesirishguypopinfreshAnimaPetrifitzNick_oliveriAltheus[Deleted User]Cactus ColPullMyFinger!eirebhoySmurfpissSleepymr_angryTheStrandRoadsmonkeyfudgeangelofdeath 40 votes
    23%
    satchmomewsoMr E[Deleted User]digimanBeruthielLizardKingChevano RileyPeacesprinklesPacificomadrabmonomaniacBasqOBernsrobinphAuverstvnutzyoucancallmeal 29 votes
    10%
    PiEIvanDSEKRIUQpcheadJimboo_JonesRoddy23ninebeanrowsTristramlostexpectationdunkamaniaanotherlostieToy 13 votes
    3%
    WashoutSilent AssasinhardCopyhappydaz 4 votes
    1%
    steveland?el rabitos 2 votes
    1%
    herobearNalz 2 votes
    0%
    chump 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Ohhhh, you go girl! Back on form Basq!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Peace wrote:
    Ohhhh, you go girl! Back on form Basq!
    First Sandals... now you! :rolleyes:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Sawyer discovers Hurley’s potentially devastating breech of the survivors’ trust

Sawyer discovers Hurley’s potentially devastating breech of the survivors’ trust
    Wait another 12 or so hours and all will be revealed! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

Really looking forward to this one. Hopefully Lost is back on form after a poor enough run of episodes there before 2x13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

plazzTT wrote:
    Really looking forward to this one. Hopefully Lost is back on form after a poor enough run of episodes there before 2x13.

Er, have you been watching a different show to the rest of us?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

plazzTT wrote:

Couldn't agree more. It's been so dull lately, although 2x13 was okish

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Damnit! What the hell is going on with
    the Egyptian figure on the clock? And the clunking in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

in all fairness this was an episode that went absolutely nowhere.

I gave it a five, mainly for the cool cinematography in Sayids backstory.

They should have ended the debate of Henrys charchter once and for all after introducing him into the episode so early. i.e is he telling the truth? isnt he?

Hurley/Sawyer storyline was a bit of a waste of time.

according to one of the sites the egyptian hyroglyphics translates to ,
    "cause to die"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

What the hell are you about, this episode was excellent.

The backstory was good with the introduction of Kate's dad.

The Timer WTF was that about.

Locke and Jacks relationship being further stretched , I would love it if kicked the crap outta Jack.

I gave it 10/10 , it had it all in my books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

I thought it was pretty good, it was not one that stood out as being brilliant though. I think it was about 7. One of the main things that I though was a complete waste of time was the Hurley and Sawyer stuff, plus we didn't see Kate at all!
    Sayid's back story was pretty good and as usual tied in with the episode but I though that the ending was pretty bad, also when the clock hit zero nothing happened, what is the point to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I was skeptical after the ep 212 but I really think its starting to pick up again , I hate having to wait another two weeks now though.

Check out here for the Maternity Leave Ep 215 spoiler: http://www.lostlinks.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

Willem D wrote:
    I hate having to wait another two weeks now though.
    Not again, they only seem to be putting out 2 episodes at a time anymore and then they have a weeks break.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

decent ep
    again what was all the sawyer stuff about?
    apart from we find out why hurley ain't been losing any weight! a bit of a tenuous excuse though.....

the torture thing was good and the debate over this captured other is interesting because there are many possibilities
    1. rousseau thinks everyone is an other
    2.he is an other
    3.he is who he says he is
    4.what locke said 'its all relative.........

why didn't rousseau outline exactly to sayid why she thought this guy was an other?
    why didn't sayid question her about it?

and those symbols when the clock reaches zero very interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I was a bit underwhelmed by this episode. The Hurley/ Sawyer stuff was ridiculous - we already know he isn't Mr. Nice and didn't need a replay of the boar storyline to tell us that.

I thought it was a bit soapy to show the pic of Kate - the show fan should have been able to recognise Sgt Austen from his previous appearance (or read about it on boards like this later!). While Naveen Andrew's gave a good performance, what did the backstory teach us about Sayid that we didn't already know?

Henry Gale (is that an anagram for something like Ethan Rom was?) was OK, and I'm surprised that Sayid didn't suspect anything about him in relation to the fact that he was pretty OK after the beating, suggesting Ethan-like strength.

And as for the hieroglyphics and the reset of the clock - :mad:

I gave this a 6, because in relative terms it has been my least favourite episode since the pace picked up with Shannon's demise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

gave this a seven. I was hoping for more with regards the "other", he didn't give up anything but you could see he was cracking under the barage of questions...especially the one where he was talking about his millionaire past and his coal mining business. I thought Sayid had him there. Sayid seemed more intent on harming him than forgeing any information from him, he let his heart get to him....the poor chap :(

The frog thing was the biggest waste of a camera man ever.

I wonder what's going to happen in another 108 minutes on the island. Very interested in finding that out but judging by the next episodes trailer
    it looks like the islanders are going on a little misson inland a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

I thought that was a class episode! I love the torture plot and sayid's back story. The frog then was only an idle diversion tbh, I suppose it lightened up the tension.
    Ok what did Locke hit on the keyboard to make the hyroglyphics revert back to 108? how the hell could he have known that? makes me very suspicious...
    Liked the cross over with kates dad. Did anybody else wonder if the Army General or whatever he was (guy with the beard) is the leader of the others? i realize that is very wild speculation but ya never know...
    I'll either give that an 8 or 9....haven't decided yet..

EDIT: Yeah looked at it again and it seems he just typed the numbers and hit execute. Ah i dunno...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

I liked it also. I think he just finished the numbers and hit execute to change the hyroglyphics back to the numbers. I enjoyed the backstory too.

The final scene, even though Sayid said he felt no guilt about beating Henry, had a very confessional feel to it. Especially becuase of Charlies past links to religon. All in all 8/10 from me.

i don't think Locke did any interaction with the computer to cause the change in the state of the numbers switching from 0 to ! " ^# back to 108, it all looked automated to me

those symbols
    http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/3124/highrescounter6fv.jpg

the symbols mean
    'die' or 'cause to die' from 'middle egyptian'
    http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/8538/feisarglyph1uc.gif

essentially the verb that causes death so 'kill'

interestinly the symbol which didnt quite stop is possibly the child symbol we see while the counter is twirling

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/TrickyNinja/LostSymbols.jpg

so we have kill and child?

sawyer kills a frog, there are egyptian symbolms, there is death spelt out, and possiblly kill the child. couple of weeks ago we had the moses and aaron references, this all ties into the ten plauges and the book of revelations i.e end of the world? hmmmmmm very dramatic...

• Advertisement

i don't think Locke did any interaction with the computer to cause the change in the state of the numbers switching from 0 to ! " ^# back to 108, it all looked automated to me

he did,! however its not clear if he used the numbers or some other code, possibly a default code?

edit: just watched it again and it looks like he just finishes off the number sequence and hits execute!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It's mildy interesting. Some people seem to create the drama in their own minds. Not much happened. A few small clues for the dedicated to spend a few hours on again where the speculation can become more exciting than the show itself. I'm teetering here. I'm still a fan but part of me wouldn't mind that clock getting to zero and the whole dang lot of them being blown out of existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Solid ep imo.
    Not much advancement on the story but can't rush this things I guess.

Again, thumbs up for Sayids background. vg.
    Pity about the countdown, after the preview on ep13, i was expecting it to hit zero and something to happen.

Looking forward to ep15 now.

Very good episode but had it's weaknesses - i'm giving it a 7.

Was looking forward to something really happening when the timer hit zero but not much really did! Though at the same time, i love the whole hieroglyphics meaning behind it. One of the things i love about 'Lost' is that a mere viewer wouldn't dismiss that whereas us fans can discover the real meaning's behind it. Brillant!

Nice little cameos in this episode - Henry Gale was played by the bloke in 'Saw' who i saw in something else recently and Carnivale fans i assume would have spotted the excellent Clancy Brown as Joe Inman.

The Hurley & Sawyer stuff was a tad uneventful to be honest. But did love Hurley's perfectly executed fall when about to dive for the tree-frog - genius! :D

The real highlight of the episode for me was the always excellent Locke / Jack conflict... the dialogue / atmosphere between Terry O Quinn and Matthew Fox is always pure electric. Jack's facial expressions verged on psychotic at times when he had Locke pinned against the wall. Absolutely fantastic... definite highlight of the episode for me anyways!

Not sure whether to believe Henry Gale or not - think very little mention of it in this thread means people have dismissed him already as an other. I, myself, am quite unsure.

Backstory was good, if a little uneventful!

Anyways: 7 / 10 from me! (most of it being for the excellent Jack / Locke dialogue alone.... MORE of that PLEASE!!!)

Really surprised nobody has mentioned the whole illness thing so far. I think that new guy may not be one of the others, but genuine. He said his wife died three weeks ago, around the time when a hatch with "quarantine" written on it was opened...

Fantastic episode overall, although just left with more questions :( I thought some of the flashback shots with the CG graphics looked terrible!

And I'm probably totally wrong, but when the timer hit zero and the symbols started appearing I could have sworn I saw a polar bear and isn't there other base stations on the island, possibly with a symbol for each? (that made more sense in my head)

Just found this: Henry Gale is the name of Dorothy"s uncle in Wizard of Oz. If you recall, Dorothy escaped OZ in a balloon at the end.

Source: The Tail Section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Rob30888 wrote:
    Just found this: Henry Gale is the name of Dorothy"s uncle in Wizard of Oz. If you recall, Dorothy escaped OZ in a balloon at the end.

Source: The Tail Section
    i thought she clicked her heals together

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

gave this one a 7
    not as good as last week but still held my attention.
    great to see sayid back again
    am also dying to see jack and locke come to blows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Enjoyed this episode if anything else..

I liked the backstory but I felt it was Missing something

As pointless as the frog thing was, I still enjoyed it tbh...

The Countdown was very cool... and creepy...

Also liked the whole Locke-Jack conflict..

As much as I enjoyed it, it ended a bit abruptly and I'm starting to realise that we haven't really gotten very far plot-wise in the last few eps...

it's becoming very apparent at this stage..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Another big pricktease from Lost. Surprise surprise.

A solid 7.

Whats the bets we see a big smiley face sometime before the end of the season?

stevejazzx wrote:
    he did,! however its not clear if he used the numbers or some other code, possibly a default code?

edit: just watched it again and it looks like he just finishes off the number sequence and hits execute!

your right, i watched it again and he does enter in the numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Alright episode I thought. Seemed to fly by though. The fact that Locke was able to reset the counter after it had reached 0 could suggest that nothing happens and that its just a simple computer/counter circuit. You'd think after 0 that would be it, no turning back so to speak.

this may be true but the counter did stop for about 5 seconds fixed on four images so therefore the computer may have received a command from that before returning to normality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

The hieroglyphs are a word

Taken from here it means
    depart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

very interesting! not much happened tbh, but enjoyed the episode!! :D

• Advertisement

Talisman wrote:
    The hieroglyphs are a word

Taken from here it means
    depart

actually closer translation is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

The episode flew by. Usually I check the time half way through but I was sucked into this one. I felt like it had promise to deliver something. But we wait 2 weeks again to find out (think I've typed this before :rolleyes:)

I was rubbing my hands together after the clock reached zero - but.. well, I'm used to Lost anti-climaxes now.

I think Sawyer has to be in every episode now, no matter how irrelevantly (one of my favourite characters though). I do like the way Charlie is still around and getting attention. Did like the crazy Jack bit. Don't like the Hurley actor not shifting his weight (be professional!). Am also tired of Rousseux now (wouldn't mind the others capturing her).

I think Henry Gale is an other. From the way his story just about cracked in the end and the evil look in his eye after the beating... and the wizard of oz reference.

To me there doesn't seem to be any real tangible over arching plot to the whole story at this stage. And I at least make some attempt to read people's theories. I'd hate to think how confused average joe will be when he sees this on the telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I've seen better fake arrows in a school play!

fakearrow.jpg

And just when I thought something was finally going to happen that moved the whole hatch/dharma/numbers plotline along, the clock goes back to 108. I still enjoy watching Lost, but I'm getting pretty sick of the lack of progress by this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

That was honestly the first episode this season that felt like an episode from season 1. Got the Henry Gale reference immediately because I'd been in the Wizard of Oz in college and in the musical, Dorothy does indeed escape Oz in a balloon (the same balloon that originally brought the wizard to Oz from Kansas). No doubt about it in my mind, he's an other.

Loved having Sayid back as a central character and interesting to see him siding off with Charlie at the end. It very much looks like things are going to come to a head between the different factions. Was nice to see that Jack's not the complete pussy everyone takes him for and is actually capable of pinning Locke to the wall, I always reckoned he was probably the stronger of the two.

I'm another big fan of the flashback though the Kate photo was cheesy. I'm really hoping that there's actually a reason for these interlinks at this stage rather than just to amuse the fans. Interesting to see that it was the Americans that made Sayid a torturer, not the Republican Guard (I'm sure that'll play well in the States!).

Eight out of ten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

that is biff isn't it?

I think the one new piece of info was that sayid started his torturing career with the CIA.

I don't get why sayid is so keen to torture everyone??

surely if he had just asked him about his wife's grave and checked the story out he could have doublechecked on him.even if he was sent a wild goose chase, they could have checked out his story in other ways. If he is super strong other why did he let himself be captured?

Did that knowing look just before they closed the door signify that he was an other?

still asking what everyone else is up to and yes have they forgotten?

a heres a list info known and the background lostaways http://lost.cubit.net/census.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Underwhelmed with how episode turned out.Was trundling along at a decent pace and promised to deliver more than it did(standard Lost fare).Didnt have any "omg" moments for me.After finally capturing an Other disappointed they felt they couldnt give us more.

Enjoyed Sayid telling Charlie that Jack and Locke seem to have forgotten what the Others have apparently subjected them too, I sometimes ask myself that question.

Trailer for next episode looks good!

Rating: 6/10

that is biff isn't it?
    Nope.. Clancy Brown who you may have seen in Carnivale.

63m.jpg = Clancy "Joe Inman" Brown

22m.jpg = Thomas "Biff Tannen" F. Wilson

Clancy Brown did look quite "Biff-ish" though during some scenes. I know Thomas F. Wilson from being a gym teacher in 'Freaks And Geeks' a couple of years back...

"Why don't you make like a tree.... and SCRAM!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭SandyVN

I only seen it now. I thought it was very good, it had the same feeling as series 1. More of the same would be good. Another 2 week gap thou, RTE will catch up at this rate!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

stevejazzx wrote:
    actually closer translation is
    You sound so sure of yourself! :p
    I downloaded that Hieropreter and noticed that there's more than one meaning for each glyph, including nouns, pronouns, ideograms, phonetic sounds, verbs and eclitic particles (whatever they are!).
    And also that the second glyph was never fully visible, the camera cuts to Locke before it clicks into place.

http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/14/translation.jpg

So I wouldn't say it's definately those ones unless the 2nd symbol is revealed and an egyptian expert tells me otherwise!

Fun adventure the writers have sent everyone on though, weird place for hieroglyphs to even show up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭SandyVN

BopNiblets wrote:
    I downloaded that Hieropreter and noticed that there's more than one meaning for each glyph, including nouns, pronouns, ideograms, phonetic sounds, verbs and eclitic particles (whatever they are!).
    And also that the second glyph was never fully visible, the camera cuts to Locke before it clicks into place.

http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/14/translation.jpg

So I wouldn't say it's definately those ones unless the 2nd symbol is revealed and an egyptian expert tells me otherwise!

Fun adventure the writers have sent everyone on though, weird place for hieroglyphs to even show up!
    Yea id agree and every1 should just sit back & wait to see were this takes us.
    The only thing that annoys me now is that lock wont tell anyone. Why so many secrets from each other!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Pretty good episode in terms of drama etc - though was I the only one hat was disappointed with the ending? It felt almost like a poor cliffhanger.

Jack has told Sayid that he can't torture Henry Gale any further - if Sayid was certain that he was another I thought he would have been more determined to get the truth from Henry Gale. Instead he headed back to the beach with his tail between his legs and turned to Charlie for support.

Is the idea being that Charlie will help him get the truth? How do people reckon this will pan out?

I would have liked a bit confirmation for the viewers of the truth behind Henry Gale - the glance he gave Sayid was pretty creepy. I mean if Sayid was so determined why did he not lie to Jack in order to continue his interrogation - his word against a strangers.

So assuming Henry Gale is an other, here's what we know:
    - He's very intelligent and has knowledge of transmitter radios.
    - He know's of a sickness on the island - however when he described the symptons from his wife I sensed a red herring straight away - feverous and delierious - there has to be more to it than that. And if not then why have the losties not caught it yet?
    - He may not know of the Swan Station - he certainly acted like he didn't know where he was and he didn't react when the alarm for the button went off.

And finally my speculation for possibilities on what will happen regarding the button:

- someone posted it earlier that something may happen the next time the timer runs out - perhaps entering the code no longer stops the timer.
    - something has happened already - perhaps this will tie in with the synopsis for the next episode (for those that have read it).
    - nothing happens when the timer runs out - Locke will not tell anyone and they will continue to enter the button. Jack and a few others will start to refuse to push it. Eventually it will run to zero again and everyone will die - mwahahaha!
    - a nuclear missle has fired from another part of the island.

Has anyone figured out whether the hieroglyphics also represent the other hatches on the island - there was no swan but I think there was an arrow etc. Perhaps something happened simulataneously at every hatch.

Looking forward to hearing other speculation (someone's bound to be pretty close).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

One last point in relation to the sickness - Danielle told Sayid to watch his people carefully and something along the lines of "they may have already be sick". This didn't really fit with what Henry Gale said.

I always imagined the sickness would be something on the lines of Locke being sick the whole time hence the crazy dreams.
    I also thought that perhaps Danielle was the one who was sick and that's why she went on a killing spree with her crew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

From a different forum:

"nteresting that Henry talked about living in a cave with his wife. Remember when Jack first found the cave, there was a man and woman’s body in the cave. Perhaps they are actually the ballooners and Henry is using their story to as his own to lie to Sayid."

Though he did say his cave was a few days away from their beach, but as he was passed out (i presume) for a lot of the journey from the net to there I don't know how he'd know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

6/10

Interesting episode and decent solid ground made.

Graphics in Iraq were laughable...

Clock thing was sick

4815162342 :)

BopNiblets wrote:

I know I already posted a link with muliple meanings earlier, extremely similar to the one you've just posted.
    BopNiblets wrote:
    I know, I've already stated this in thread. I also said it might well be a child as the symbol for child appears very often, but in the cubit link I posted you can make out a snake symbol (its folded, unstopped) and if this space were correct as the snake symbol then the line would collectively mean causitive: die. This is using middle egyptian deciphering and reading left to right (I'm aware you can also read right to left but apparently it's judged by the direction the 'bird' symbol is facing) It would be logical to use middle egyptian as it's a perfect match if the snake symbol is correct, however as has been said it might be a kind of slot machine thing where there are many possibilities of different symbols, but the ones that stop during this episode almost certainly mean 'die'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement