Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Build up to the big one on Sat-Pool vs United

• 15-02-2006 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

Hope Fergie goes for it from the start by playing 2 wingers,2 strikers and either Giggs or Rooney attacking in midfield, but don't think he will. Rooney is due a big game and nothing will spur him on more than playing at Anfield.

Will be interesting what was Benitez approaches it with the CL next week, will he play a full strenght team or hold players back for the CL.

Going for a United win can't see them not scoring - wouldn't be surprised to see a replay though.

Despite the early kick - off I expect a rip-roaring atmosphere. A lot more United fans there for a cup match.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

8-0 to United. Obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

what are the odds on nevile scoring the winner,that would be sweet,
    but back to reality this will be a close game,1 goal will win it and i hope united will score it

lol:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Yeah should be a good atmosphere Utd got about 6,500.........

does not matter what time the kick off is at the fans are always up for this one...........

can't wait till sat now...........i am actually confident of Utd progessing but you could be right i would not rule out a replay..............

The fact liverpool are playing in the CL the following wednesday throws it up into the air even more, as nobody knows if Benitez will put out a strong side

lol @ Jivin Turkey :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

only 8:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

This thread will remain civil or there will be bannings, not that there has been anything to bad so far, just consider this a friendly warning people.

Thanx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i'd expect utd to be pretty physical and do what they did to chelsea. with a bit of luck and no nonsense defending i'll say 1-0 utd victory.

liverpool are decent all over the park bar upfront and harry kewell in midfield :p if the utd defence doesnt do anything stupid, which is highly unlikely, they shouldnt have too many problems.

wonder how many tackles will go in on g.neville? :D

This thread will remain civil or there will be bannings, not that there has been anything to bad so far, just consider this a friendly warning people.

Thanx

Duly noted...:D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The only possible reason Utd might sneak it is due to the champs league and this might result in Benitez playing Agger, Kronkamp, Warnock etc. I doubt thinking ahead to CL will be a factor for whoever starts on Saturday though, and I hope it will finish 2-0 to the 'pool.

5starpool wrote:
    The only possible reason Utd might sneak it is due to the champs league and this might result in Benitez playing Agger, Kronkamp, Warnock etc.

Is this an excuse already :D

only kidding

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think Rafa will go with a A- team, Benfica is more important so I expect some changes.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

United to win with a MOM preformance by Ronaldo, capped with a goal, and a goal by Ruud.
    I don't think it'll be a full strength team, if you gave Rafa the choice to advance in either comp, I'd say he'd pick the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I'm going to go for a tight one, utd to edge it though. It will depend on a few things, the united midfield will need to do better than arsenals last night. If smith and fletcher can somewhat impose themselves on the game and united get a decent amount of ball they should be able to win it. They will also need to keep Gerrard quiet, but if he's still on the right that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would also reckon Rooney will be dropping back into midfield to pressurise Alonso.

I fully expect another nailbiting yawnfest though. The best thing that could happen would be an early goal, which united have been scoring a decent amount of recently.

Prediction 0-1, Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Once again it'll be down to whether or not liverpool can score. Otherwise we'll be liable to losing to an against the run of play, sucker punch....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

It will be interesting to see each teams mentality. There are many games where I feel United should come out of the traps and go straight for the throat, but Fergie doesnt really do that anymore.

With the Pool so bad up front at the moment I think United will be happy to sit back, defend and try over the course of 90 minutes feel their way through. I think it will be very close and the stage is set for an indivudual to turn up and steal the show. Rooney and Gerrard spring to mind straight away.

nevile to score and united win 1-0,250-1
    tempted to put a tenner on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Once again it'll be down to whether or not liverpool can score. Otherwise we'll be liable to losing to an against the run of play, sucker punch....

just thinking about that, given teams know of Liverpool's striking problems, yet they have a very good defence, I guess alot of teams would play the waiting game, let Liverpool commit numbers to attack, and take advantage on the break. It may be against the run of play, but would be a viable tactic against them, of which a pool fan couldn't exactly say they were lucky to score.

Also the propensity to sit back and defend a 1-0 is there, Chelsea in the carling cup last season was a good example (and in the champion's league of when it worked), but it can backfire, as it did against 10 man birmingham.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Liverpool Team I expect to see playing:

Reina
    Kronkamp
    Carragher
    Hyypia
    Warnock
    Kewell
    Hamann
    Gerrrard
    Garcia
    Cisse
    Morientes

Agger may come in too, but if he does it should be for Hyypia this time, as I can't see Carragher not playing against Utd. Reina should start I'd say as Rafa won't want him cold going into the Benfica game, and Garcai will prob be fit enough to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

With Liverpool's strikers struggling again last night, I'm hoping United can keep them locked out again on saturday. Especially with Fowler cup-tied, it limits their options even more, with Crouch only coming back into fitness after a niggling injury.
    Glad to see Giggs back fit, his withdrawal on saturday at half-time was only precautionary. I'm hoping Ronaldo has another blinding game, and caps it with another goal. Rooney is also due a big game, although I'd probably rather see Saha start because of his form.
    I'd love to know just how much Benitez regards the F.A. Cup, with the Champion's League in mind. I hope he rests a few, but I don't think he'll leave too many out to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

smemon wrote:
    i'd expect utd to be pretty physical and do what they did to chelsea. with a bit of luck and no nonsense defending i'll say 1-0 utd victory.

liverpool are decent all over the park bar upfront and harry kewell in midfield :p if the utd defence doesnt do anything stupid, which is highly unlikely, they shouldnt have too many problems.

wonder how many tackles will go in on g.neville? :D

you obviously havent been watching many Liverpool matchs of late. Kewell has been playing really well for quite some time now.

• Advertisement

county wrote:
    nevile to score and united win 1-0,250-1
    tempted to put a tenner on that

might be tempted to do a bet myself........mmmmmmmmm 10 yo yo's at 250/1 = 2500 yo yo's plus my 10 back.............:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭radiospan

2-0 to United methinks

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

treble%20small.jpg

Whats so great is the european cup in that photo,
    you can actually see that in person any time you want,
    In the anfield trophy room of course.

Liverpool should win this man utd did well against us at old trafford considering the 2 midfields on show, if we dominate the midfield like we should though this time round the score might reflect the game, put money on garcia or gerrard to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Tusky wrote:
    you obviously havent been watching many Liverpool matchs of late. Kewell has been playing really well for quite some time now.

i have indeed been watching liverpool matches of late and have to disagree. he's a liability when a game gets fiery and to put it bluntly a wimp when it comes to tackling.

granted his performances have drastically improved from his early days as a 'pool player but i think he's still nothing remotely like the leeds player we all knew.

nobody fears him anymore, at leeds he was dangerous, now he's just a big name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

county wrote:
    what are the odds on nevile scoring the winner,that would be sweet,
    but back to reality this will be a close game,1 goal will win it and i hope united will score it

Neville :rolleyes: is a muppet, and im a united supporter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

smemon wrote:
    i have indeed been watching liverpool matches of late and have to disagree. he's a liability when a game gets fiery and to put it bluntly a wimp when it comes to tackling..

Your right. YOu want a bit of grit and determination and a hard-tackler o nthe wing.

like ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Tough as nails that chap i tell ye :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Your right. YOu want a bit of grit and determination and a hard-tackler o nthe wing.
    like ronaldo.

or Robben.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

sorry lads the pool are gonna win....:D
    the pool will out play utd like they did in the last game except this time they will score and utd wont....Gerrard to score........a penalty :D:D

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote:
    Whats so great is the european cup in that photo,
    you can actually see that in person any time you want,
    In the anfield trophy room of course.

Liverpool should win this man utd did well against us at old trafford considering the 2 midfields on show, if we dominate the midfield like we should though this time round the score might reflect the game, put money on garcia or gerrard to score.

LOL............:D but the pennants are not there from last yrs CL campaign.......... or have they been found?????????

good point though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

If Rooney drops deep and nullfies Alonso (similar to last time), i can see Utd winning :(

Would like to Garcia start the game to take the goal-scoring burden off of Gerrard.

Liverpool did not outplay United in the last game, and won't in this game either. I don't know where htis idea is coming from.
    Liverpool knocked the ball up to Crouch, and some knockdowns lead to chances, most of them half chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i'm not sure about starting garcia, hes good for a goal, but might give the ball away too much over the 90mins. perhaps a sub appearance, would definately want him involved at some point if a goal is still required

also think hamann should be played, sissoko is not the best in possession either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

As much as might I hate Liverpool supporters as a whole, I just can't wait till they knock Utd completely off their imaginary pedastle.

I might despise how Liverpool fans go on and on and on about their 1:1000000 (and touch from god) winning of the champions league but I have to say that this year - and not their flukey last - they look quite good.

That, and the last decade will not be erased so quickly from my mind. I would cherish the sight of Man Utd and all their 2 million Manchester/Irish supporters with their John O'Shea's and their Darren Fletchers and their Kieran Richardsons falling flat on their face and seeing that they have lost all their former glory and are on the verge of Newcastle Unitedness. :D

Oh I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

As much as might I hate Liverpool supporters as a whole, I just can't wait till they knock Utd completely off their imaginary pedastle.

I might despise how Liverpool fans go on and on and on about their 1:1000000 (and touch from god) winning of the champions league but I have to say that this year - and not their flukey last - they look quite good.

That, and the last decade will not be erased so quickly from my mind. I would cherish the sight of Man Utd and all their 2 million Manchester/Irish supporters with their John O'Shea's and their Darren Fletchers and their Kieran Richardsons falling flat on their face and seeing that they have lost all their former glory and are on the verge of Newcastle Unitedness. :D

Oh I love it.

At last. A common enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Im off skiing on Sat, but thankfully are flight has being pushed back until 14:20, so hopefully we will get all of the match in. Although we wont need to as United will be 3-0 up at half time :D with no comeback!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

PHB wrote:
    I don't know where htis idea is coming from.
    From watching the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Davei141 wrote:
    From watching the match.

Ah yes, but PHB often seems to be watching entirely different matches to most of us a lot of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

RasTa wrote:
    Im off skiing on Sat, but thankfully are flight has being pushed back until 14:20, so hopefully we will get all of the match in. Although we wont need to as United will be 3-0 up at half time :D with no comeback!
    If you're flying from dublin I might see you there! Ha, my flight, to Lanzarote is in early afternoon sometime too, have a feeling I'll be boarding at start of 2nd half. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Liverpool arent in good form at the moment. United are better away from home than they are at OT so i can see the result going in United's favour. There's no attacking threat up front from liverpool but there's always the possibility of gerrard or Alonso or Garcia doing something special. United's weakness is obviously the centre of midfield but they're also terrible defending free kicks into the box.
    Liverpool's lack of goals is a problem for them but their defence is really solid. Solid defence or not they'll still have to deal with Rooney, an in form ronaldo not to mention RVN with 19 goals in the league. Liverpool got a licence to boss the game at OT the last time but they didnt really trouble United apart from Cisse's miss which a blind leper would have scored.
    I fancy United to take the game to liverpool and create a lot of chances as i think the cup means slightly more to them than to pool. i can still see the score being low, maybe 1-0 or 2-1.
    I hope Rooney scores at the kop end, that'd be class!!

• Advertisement

I watched the game,
    First half Liverpool just edged it, but only very slightly.[creating one half chance]
    Second half, first part Liverpool dominated and created chances.[creating one very good chances which was missed, and two half decent chances]
    Second half, second part, United dominated and created chances.

The differences between these two teams today, United scored there chances.

To claim that Liverpool dominated the match because they had their spell at the start of the first half is just plain old silly, so stop talking like VDS made twenty saves, and you had 5 penos not given, and all of them hit the post, cause thats not what happened, what happened was, Liverpool couldn't score in their spell of possession, United could, and Liverpool lost, just like what will probably happen in the next game, except that Liverpool won't get as much possesion, cause our midfield is a bit better than last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I think United will win 1-0. Why? Because they need it more. They're out of the CL, Liverpool have it and the race for a Champions League spot to concentrate on (although them finishing second or third is almost a given fact now) and would see the FA Cup as an afterthought IMO.

Lemlin wrote:
    I think United will win 1-0. Why? Because they need it more. They're out of the CL, Liverpool have it and the race for a Champions League spot to concentrate on (although them finishing second or third is almost a given fact now) and would see the FA Cup as an afterthought IMO.
    I'd have to disagree on the afterthought part. This is Utd - Liverpool. The trophy doesn't come into question. When you have players like Neville, Giggs etc on one side, and Carragher and Gerrard on the other, you'll get blood and thunder, because they know how much this means. Trophy is irrelevant, it's about pride, passion and bragging rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

it's about pride, passion and bragging rights.

true, realistically though its the best trophy United can win this year, liverpool too, i cant see them winning the CL this year again but you never know what to expect. There's been a couple of shock winners in recent years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

true, realistically though its the best trophy United can win this year, liverpool too, i cant see them winning the CL this year again but you never know what to expect. There's been a couple of shock winners in recent years
    Not only is your statement biased, it is factually untrue. Liverpool have every chance of retaining the CL again this season, and I suspect that they might just do it. Nobody gave them a chance in hell last year (I can link you to the threds if you wish :D ) and most of the Manu supporters ended up with the proverbial egg on their face.

As for the previous game against Manu, only the most rose tinted Manu fan could say that Liverpool did not deserve something out of the game, and the stats would suggest that they had the most of the possesion and chances. Anyhow that's all history.

I suspect Manu might shade it on Saturday, as this is their only chance of a decent trophy this year, given their abysmal performances in Europe this season and their failure to be consistent in the League. Liverpool have bigger fish to fry. If they win, great, if not *meh* I'll be dissapointed, but I look forward to the game against Benfica more than I would against the also rans in the Prem tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

I'm heading off to Barcelona tommorrow and will be watching the match there before heading to see Barca v Betis that evening:D

I predict 2-1 to the pool.

Hobart wrote:
    As for the previous game against Manu, only the most rose tinted Manu fan could say that Liverpool did not deserve something out of the game, and the stats would suggest that they had the most of the possesion and chances. Anyhow that's all history.
    Ok, if we're going down the stats route, you'll find Utd created more chances, well more on target chances. http://home.skysports.com/matchreport.asp?fxid=290604&cpid=8

Ok, if we're going down the stats route, you'll find Utd created more chances, well more on target chances. http://home.skysports.com/matchreport.asp?fxid=290604&cpid=8
    Liverpool total shots:11 Corners:2 Possesion: 56.4
    Manu total shots:7 Corners:1 Possession: 43.6

dirkey_wynne is talking about shots on target..and from what i can see in that link is Utd 4 on target and Liverpool 3 on target.........

I would not personally count blocked shots as these could be specualtive shots from way outside the box that are blocked by midfielders.........or i could be wrong!!!!!!!!!!1

dirkey_wynne is talking about shots on target..and from what i can see in that link is Utd 4 on target and Liverpool 3 on target.........

I would not personally count blocked shots as these could be specualtive shots from way outside the box that are blocked by midfielders.........or i could be wrong!!!!!!!!!!1
    Well what he actually said was "more on target chances".
    I didn't realise a chance could be on or off target.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement