Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Build up to the big one on Sat-Pool vs United

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Hobart wrote:
    Not only is your statement biased, it is factually untrue.
    OK OK, My statement about the CL was factually untrue but whats wrong with being biased, I'm a United fan so naturally i'm going to say Liverpool wont win the champions league, in fact its my duty to say it. If there were no biased people in the world there would be no such thing a debate or discussion.(one of your favourite pastimes).
    Liverpool are a lot more conservative than United with a greater emphasis on defence. They dont have the individual talents that United have and they never will. This is their mentality even when they were the best side in europe they played the way they play now. United are coming down from the crest of a wave and liverpool are apparently getting better and they still cant beat them. To show that i'm not always biased i will add that i admire the liverpool team spirit, last year in the CL was a shock to everyone even liverpool fans but that doesnt mean they didnt deserve it. To beat Juve,Chelsea and Milan is a remarkable achievement. IMHO i dont think they'll do it this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

They dont have the individual talents that United have and they never will.

rofl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Ok, if we're going down the stats route, you'll find Utd created more chances, well more on target chances. http://home.skysports.com/matchreport.asp?fxid=290604&cpid=8
    Like I said it's history. If you want to split hairs even more you can, i don't really care. The Official Premiership stats tell a different story. Like I said, I'm more interested in the CL than a competition Manu decided was'nt good enough for them a few years ago. If we win, great, if we don't so what, the real cup competition starts the following week.

OK OK, My statement about the CL was factually untrue but whats wrong with being biased, I'm a United fan so naturally i'm going to say Liverpool wont win the champions league, in fact its my duty to say it. If there were no biased people in the world there would be no such thing a debate or discussion.(one of your favourite pastimes).
    I suppose you guys have had to practice it over the years alright. as for your comments about debate, you clearly don't have a clue what you are talking about. a good debater can take anyside of an issue and argue it's merits, bias has SFA got to do with it.
    Liverpool are a lot more conservative than United with a greater emphasis on defence.
    Let me translate and simplify it for you: Liverpool have a better defence than Manu
    Now you are a Psychic. Congratulations!!
    This is their mentality even when they were the best side in europe they played the way they play now.
    And a historian, clap clap.
    United are coming down from the crest of a wave
    Coming down? Really? More like crashing down, and still on the way down. Remind me again, when was the last time you guys won any trophy of signifigance?
    and liverpool are apparently getting better and they still cant beat them.
    Liverpool can beat them, they just have'nt.
    To show that i'm not always biased i will add that i admire the liverpool team spirit, last year in the CL was a shock to everyone even liverpool fans but that doesnt mean they didnt deserve it. To beat Juve,Chelsea and Milan is a remarkable achievement. IMHO i dont think they'll do it this year.
    Fair enough. That's your opinion. Like I said it was Manu fans like you who where saying the exact same thing last year, and ended up with egg on your faces. Is there any wonder that there are ABU's around, with fans like you. You are a credit to your club. Keep up the good begrudary :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

...This is their mentality even when they were the best side in europe they played the way they play now.
    Did you ever even see Liverpool play in the 70s and 80s?

Shamrok wrote:
    Did you ever even see Liverpool play in the 70s and 80s?
    He clearly has no idea what he is talking about, although he was born in '83, so he might remember the '84 european final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Yeah its a big game for Man U as they haven't the more important business of the Champions League to look forward to. The F in FA Cup stands for what ? as the A stands for All :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Steven Gerrard Anybody ?
    Xabi Alonso ?
    Jamie Carragher ?

All great individual talents. All in the top 5 in their role in Europe and not an individual talent, the advantage that those players and others that are arguably up there too in the liverpool team have over other teams in the same position give or take in the league is those individual talents can play together as a team ond almost always do.

That and most of them have a champions league medal

Hobart wrote:
    Liverpool have a better defence than Manu
    True
    Hobart wrote:
    Liverpool can beat them, they just have'nt.:.
    Nice answer:v:
    Hobart wrote:
    Fair enough. That's your opinion. Like I said it was Manu fans like you who where saying the exact same thing last year, and ended up with egg on your faces. Is there any wonder that there are ABU's around, with fans like you. You are a credit to your club. Keep up the good begrudary :rolleyes:.
    I dont begrudge liverpool. I've already admitted in my last post that i admired their CL victory last year but as a United fan i certainly am not jealous of liverpool, i just dont like them.

The liverpool-United rivalry makes it it fairly easy for people to understand why i (a utd fan) wouldnt like liverpool or why a liverpool fan/ABU wouldnt like United. ABUism is merely a show of unity against one of the most popular clubs in the world. There are so many United fans (especially in Ireland) so naturally there'll always be some sort of campaign against them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Hobart wrote:
    Coming down? Really? More like crashing down, and still on the way down.
    Crashing down? And still a better side than Liverpool. By the way I judge on league position, the league doesn't lie in my opinion. Perhaps at the end of the season Liverpool will be the better side, but as of now, and as of the last ten/twelve years (bar one i believe) Utd have been the better side. And that's while we "crash" down.:rolleyes:

I dont begrudge liverpool.

Previous Quote I'm a United fan so naturally i'm going to say Liverpool wont win the champions league
    Sounds pretty begrudging to me, maybe I'm reading it wrong though. Anthow, good luck in the FA cup for Saturday, it will give you lads a bit to cheer about.

Crashing down? And still a better side than Liverpool. By the way I judge on league position, the league doesn't lie in my opinion. Perhaps at the end of the season Liverpool will be the better side, but as of now, and as of the last ten/twelve years (bar one i believe) Utd have been the better side. And that's while we "crash" down.:rolleyes:
    Oh your back. That's called having an opinion, by the way. When was the last time you guys won a trophy of any signifigance? 2 maybe 3 years ago? Knocked out of the Group stages this year by a Benfica side, missing their best 2 players. No trophies last year. No chance of winning the League. Sounds like crashing to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Here's a good article on the rivalry between the two teams/cities from the Irish Examiner (taken from RAWK):

A tale of two cities

By Richard Kurt and Steven Kelly
    Richard Kurt: I’M NOT 100% sure this is true, but I do recall being told the new fad of genetically testing ancestral lineage was useless in the Holy Land because there is so little difference between the DNA of the Jews and Arabs there.

The phrase 'narcissism of small differences' might spring to mind at this point and I daresay it certainly applies in the north west of England when it comes to the matter of Red Mancs and Scousers.

Thirty years ago, we belonged to the same county, Lancashire.

Indeed, I remember as a teenager watching the county cricket team with Scousers alongside me at both Old Trafford and Southport.

The generation above tells me that in the '60s, there was hardly any antipathy between LFC and MUFC just a keen and largely honourable rivalry as we slugged it out head-to-head for the 1964 and 1965 titles.

Our respective Titans, Matt Busby and Bill Shankly, were like brothers; as late as the 1977 FA Cup final, United fans were chanting "Liverpool, Liverpool" in tribute to the Paisley team that was Rome-bound, on course to emulate what had been our singular 1968 triumph.

Culturally, we were once almost of a piece, jointly taking on those cocky imperial Londoners with our bands, actors, directors and assorted northern shock troops.

And there was a popular interplay between the cities which, after all, are only 30 odd miles apart much of which stemmed from the fact that mass Irish immigration underpinned the two fortresses, creating a shared family tradition if you like.

Something happened to us and now we snarl at each other, exaggerating our differences and ignoring our similarities: I think it was Thatcherism.

Both cities' proud working class bases were under the cosh but whilst Liverpool plunged into its whingeing militant-tinged psychosis, Manchester stood firm and, true to its 19th century tradition, hard-worked and free-traded its way out.

By the late '80s, the East Lancs. Road felt like what parts of Berlin must have done in the '70s: savagely divided down the middle, with two increasingly alien and hostile forces camped out at either end.

You'll note I've barely mentioned football so far.

That's because it has become about so much more.

The end of Lancashire in 1974 and the onset of Thatcher in 1979 produced a cultural and social divorce and now we sneer at Liverpool for its self-pity, its flower-wielding mawkishness, its blame and compensation culture, its drug-fuelled savagery, its relentlessly shameless self-promotion, its habit of fighting dirty.

Liverpool invented the twin-bladed, matchsticked Stanley knife, the golf ball packed with razor blades, the tactic of gangs picking off lone stragglers. To us, Liverpudlians are granny-stabbers, a single phrase that encapsulates what we see as their tribal immorality.

Of course, we are in the realm of caricature and generalisation here, just as the Scousers label us with all sorts of absurd tags of their own.

And at the self-styled more sophisticated end of fandom, clued-up casual types softly argue that Liverpool and United's top fans have far more in common with each other than they do with their own 'common masses'; the twin elites both worry and consult each other about the loss of their clubs' souls to globalisation, about the erosion of traditional ways, about the disgusting marketisation of the game.

At kick-off on Saturday, all that is forgotten of course. Tribal hatred takes over: Liverpool seek to end 85 years of Cup hurt.

We both know our history. Liverpool's sticks in our craw. The figures '18' and '5' need no translation, nor reminders. So yes, Saturday is about football, of course. But as Shanks would say, it's about much more than a mere game.

Steven Kelly: EVEN CS Lewis would have read the tales of Mancunia and pronounced them far-fetched. No lion, just loads of lying.

The scientific instruments have not been invented that could measure the distance between United Myth and United Reality.

NASA are working on it. Theatre of Dreams just about covers it, but not for the reasons they think. Thank God for that 35 miles. Any closer and war would have broken out. It's a tale of jealousy, hypocrisy and spite that has stretched over decades.

Despite never dominating the English game, their air of insular contempt for every other team once knew no bounds, and they hated us most.

So when Liverpool began to dominate, the Old Trafford thought processes (there's an oxymoron) struggled with the reality, then abandoned it in five seconds and concocted their own fantastical landscape. No wonder their managers keep getting knighted, since politicians have learnt so much about spin from the Stretford sages.

Why were Liverpool so successful when United, the self-proclaimed Greatest Club In The World, were so third-rate?

Well, we were dirty. That may be seen as a surprising claim to those who witnessed their players achieve iconic status purely for the speed they could spill the blood or shatter the bones of an opposing player (and the occasional fan).

We were lucky. Again, the almost annual theft of points or a cup place that Man U inflict on us might lead to conclude that the truth was being leaned on a tad.

We were boring. This is the best of the lot, since footage proves we were nothing of the kind, but great minds on a roll cannot be stopped by a mere trifle like evidence.

No other team is allowed to have an attacking thought.

When their turn for success was made possible by our abdication, there was no relief from the spite and hatred. It just got worse.

Ferguson claimed to have knocked us off our perch, when in fact all the other big clubs were in transition. United emerged from our shadow and fought to the death with Leeds, Villa and er Blackburn. Oh tremble ye mighty ...

Aided by an obsequious press, fearful of United fans' reluctance to suffer any deviation from their warped viewpoint, Ferguson exploited the cowardice to breaking point.

When he implied Newcastle had arranged a friendly to ensure an easier ride in the title race, Keegan went ballistic. The papers congratulated Ferguson on his psychology. The fawning never stops but he just gets angrier and bullies with impunity.

Why send a journalist to press conferences? Just send a typist, the end result is the same.

He established the blueprint for modern managerial success, as it is now embellished by Mourinho. What a debt of thanks we owe.

The mythology even extends to the cities. Living in a penniless criminal hellhole as I do, I can only gaze enviously at the palaces of Manchester, junkie free and not one car missing.

And then, as an even bigger bully swiped their sweets and Liverpool roused themselves for one last European Dream, they produced a mutant offspring called FC United.

Was it Glazer who spent over £100m on four players, who spent half that on a bunch of misfits who gave the team little but at least made the manager's son a rich man? No.

But with Chelsea's wallet crushing everything in its path and United in a puny third place, some fans formed their own club because "United have sold their soul"! Priceless.

Unlike Manchester United. In 10 years we may even have two rivalries on the go, and joy will be unconfined.

If this sounds like I'm revving myself up for the cup-tie you're right. In quieter moments the quality of their play and loyalty of their hardcore is to be admired. But in the FA Cup we've always been United's bitch, and maybe a loud, venomous howl of contempt can swing it our way. See you on the barricades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Hobart wrote:
    Not only is your statement biased, it is factually untrue. Liverpool have every chance of retaining the CL again this season, and I suspect that they might just do it. Nobody gave them a chance in hell last year (I can link you to the threds if you wish :D ) and most of the Manu supporters ended up with the proverbial egg on their face.

As for the previous game against Manu, only the most rose tinted Manu fan could say that Liverpool did not deserve something out of the game, and the stats would suggest that they had the most of the possesion and chances. Anyhow that's all history.

I suspect Manu might shade it on Saturday, as this is their only chance of a decent trophy this year, given their abysmal performances in Europe this season and their failure to be consistent in the League. Liverpool have bigger fish to fry. If they win, great, if not *meh* I'll be dissapointed, but I look forward to the game against Benfica more than I would against the also rans in the Prem tbh.

"Also-rans in the Prem" describes every team in the PL bar Chelsea. Who else has a chance of winning it?

Hobart wrote:
    Previous Quote I'm a United fan so naturally i'm going to say Liverpool wont win the champions league
    Sounds pretty begrudging to me, maybe I'm reading it wrong though. Anthow, good luck in the FA cup for Saturday, it will give you lads a bit to cheer about.

And good luck to liverpool (They'll need it):)

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote:
    "Also-rans in the Prem" describes every team in the PL bar Chelsea. Who else has a chance of winning it?
    Exactly, so hence my reasoning on Liverpool will rightly be concentrating on their game against Benfica, and not a trophy Manu will desperately try to win, even though they deemed it irrelevant a few years back.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Liverpool beat them, and if they do no one will cheer louder.I don't doubt that they also have the capability. I just suspect that their emphasis will be on bigger things.

Hobart wrote:
    Oh your back. That's called having an opinion, by the way. When was the last time you guys won a trophy of any signifigance? 2 maybe 3 years ago? Knocked out of the Group stages this year by a Benfica side, missing their best 2 players. No trophies last year. No chance of winning the League. Sounds like crashing to me.
    Fair enough, we're crashing. Yet we're still a better side than Liverpool. Says a lot.

Fair enough, we're crashing. Yet we're still a better side than Liverpool. Says a lot.
    Maybe, maybe not. We have a new manager, a CL trophy, 3 points behind you in the League, still in Europe, still in the FA cup and have actually played and won more games than your lot this season. You may think Manu are better, and they probably are about equal at the moment. The difference is, we are on the way up, we are sound financially, we do not have potentially crippling debts and we are not in the pocket of an owner with a dubious record when it comes to managing the welfare of clubs. Our support and finances are up, yours are down. But let the footballers do the talking, as we could argue all day about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Nintendo Gamecube is far better than the PS2.

Tusky wrote:
    :D

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote:
    Quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Goals win football matches - and United are finding them a lot easier to come by than Liverpool. When is the last time a strker scored?

TheMonster wrote:
    Goals win football matches - and United are finding them a lot easier to come by than Liverpool. When is the last time a strker scored?
    Is that not a contradiction? If goals win games, who gives a flying f**K who scores them, as long as they are scored?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Hobart wrote:
    Maybe, maybe not. We have a new manager, a CL trophy, 3 points behind you in the League, still in Europe, still in the FA cup and have actually played and won more games than your lot this season.

please tell me your not counting the CL quailifiers:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

No, just the champions league :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

looking forward to the match, united win predicted

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

And good luck to liverpool (They'll need it):)

ah sure, at least pool still have a chance to win it.
    TheMonster wrote:

Pongolle against luton,
    Defenses also stop you from losing matches.
    when was the last time you looked at your defense and thought "oh, we probably won't concede four today"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Every time I watch United play.
    When was the last time you looked at your attackand thought 'oh, we probably will score today'
    United have concedded 10 goals more than Liverpool
    Untied have scored 20 goals more than Liverpool.
    I'm happy enough.

As for when was the last time we won a trophy of significane, 2003, the premiership title, or the top division title. When was the last time Liverpool won a league? 1990
    When ever I see Liverpool put up those 5 signs, I also think of putting up 16. It's a very funny insult to me anyway.

As for saying Liverpool have no individual talent, ROFL, Alonso and Gerrard.

United have a worse defnese than Liverpool, but have a better back line, both in depth and individual skill. The difference between the concedded amounts is done to one word, midfield. Liverpools midfield protects, United''s midfield does nothing atm.

And as for the match, I said it before the last game, and will say it again, Rafa still hasn't beat United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

the last time united lost to liverpool in the fa cup was 1992 in the forth round can hardly see us losing this one are attacking football is so much better than liverpools there strikers couldnt score to saves there lives. united have rooney rvd giggs ronaldo back on form thank god and park is playing well 2. and if they are all on top form its united game no problem! 2-0 and fowler is cup tied which is always a plus

county wrote:
    please tell me your not counting the CL quailifiers:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    I don't think I have to. In fact I know I don't, move along now.

BTW PHB you are only adding fuel to the fire. You answer a question i.e. When was the last time Manu won a trophy of any signifigance, with the answer 3 years ago (2003), and then go on to compare it with a retort about the league.

Lol. Why did you not fire the same question back? TBH I could have asked, when have Manu got the opportunity to retain the European Cup, or, When have Manu won the EC 3 times? The question is lame, because everybody knowws the answer. However if you would like a talk on history, I'm right here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

PHB wrote:
    When was the last time you looked at your attackand thought 'oh, we probably will score today'
    United have concedded 10 goals more than Liverpool
    Untied have scored 20 goals more than Liverpool.
    I'm happy enough.

As for when was the last time we won a trophy of significane, 2003, the premiership title, or the top division title. When was the last time Liverpool won a league? 1990
    When ever I see Liverpool put up those 5 signs, I also think of putting up 16. It's a very funny insult to me anyway.

As for saying Liverpool have no individual talent, ROFL, Alonso and Gerrard.

United have a worse defnese than Liverpool, but have a better back line, both in depth and individual skill. The difference between the concedded amounts is done to one word, midfield. Liverpools midfield protects, United''s midfield does nothing atm.

And as for the match, I said it before the last game, and will say it again, Rafa still hasn't beat United.

That sums it up pretty well, and I'm a pool fan. Liverpools midfield can protect all it wants but RVN or Rooney or Ronaldo or Giggs or Park are all capable of just that unlikely bit of skill that can unlock even the best defense and score. Plus UTD are so much better from set plays than pool, we have sooo many corners per game these days and we rarely ever threaten from them. Liverpool may well play better, have more of the possession and have more shots on goal (most off target tho), but I would still predict a UTD win, as long as UTD's defense doesn't do anything too stupid. Thats head over heart of course, my heart says 5-0 to the pool :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

PHB wrote:

16 eh?
    and how many have liverpool won?

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah, but Prem titles count double in ManchesterUtdWorld.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

eyerer wrote:
    16 eh?
    and how many have liverpool won?

lol

i think he is reffering to the amount of years it has been since liverpool won the leauge

18........but we are not that far behind now......lol:D

lets not get this thread going into a slagging off match as it usually does.........lol

after all we hold the record for number of FA cups lol..

but seriously its all fun and games until somebody gets banned.....:D

PHB wrote:

most of the time we score,
    doesnt matter if its a midfielder,defender or striker who scores.
    PHB wrote:

Then we'd be forced to put up a huge 18 sign.
    PHB wrote:
    United have a worse defnese than Liverpool, but have a better back line, both in depth and individual skill.

depth?? individual skill?? carragher and hyypia have proved they are capable to go so long without a break and maintain a high standard,
    rio and whoever is randomly put beside him can barely go half an hour.
    as for neville and whoever you decide to have on the left vs. say finnan and risse i'd take finnan and risse every day of the week.
    PHB wrote:
    The difference between the concedded amounts is done to one word, midfield. Liverpools midfield protects, United''s midfield does nothing atm.

Yes that is a huge difference, while you're defence doesnt do anything ours both defends and attacks.
    PHB wrote:

and therefore he never will . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rafa has been in charge of Liverpool for 20 months and has played Utd 4 times. Methinks he's not lying awake at night over this.

Mike.

it was 4 tries before we beat chelsea in the semi's last season aswell . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No more arguing, you will end up like these two!
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6238632019167115546&q=eamon+dunphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hobart wrote:
    and not a trophy Manu will desperately try to win, even though they deemed it irrelevant a few years back.
    This is total bullsh!t and if you bothered to check the truth you would know this.

The FA ASKED Manchester United to withdraw from the FA Cup in 2000, the year they were defending their treble, so Man Utd could go and play in the World Club Championship in Brazil. It was meant to help The FA in it's bid to host the World Cup in 2006.

United at first refused, but the FA was insistant, United offered to play their third round match when they came back from Brazil, teh FA refused that on the grounds of a fixture pile up. United offered to take a bye into the fourth round, and this was refuse by the FA too.

Now you can sit there, at your computer, and think this is not the way it happened, but they are the facts as the story played out. It wasn't Manchester United who cheapened the name of the FA Cup, it was the FA themselves. United wanted to defent the title that year, they were defending the real treble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

RasTa wrote:

This is better every time i see it :D

seansouth wrote:
    This is total bullsh!t and if you bothered to check the truth you would know this.

The FA ASKED Manchester United to withdraw from the FA Cup in 2000, the year they were defending their treble, so Man Utd could go and play in the World Club Championship in Brazil. It was meant to help The FA in it's bid to host the World Cup in 2006.

United at first refused, but the FA was insistant, United offered to play their third round match when they came back from Brazil, teh FA refused that on the grounds of a fixture pile up. United offered to take a bye into the fourth round, and this was refuse by the FA too.

Now you can sit there, at your computer, and think this is not the way it happened, but they are the facts as the story played out. It wasn't Manchester United who cheapened the name of the FA Cup, it was the FA themselves. United wanted to defent the title that year, they were defending the real treble.
    Oh I get it know. The FA have a say on whether Manu play in a competition or not. Sorry, I was under the madcap illusion that Manu Had decided themselves to pull out of the competition. Go on a 3 week break to Brazil. Make a mockery of themselves, by failing to get a win in their first 2 games and fielding a 2nd field squad in their third game. They also had zero influence in getting the world cup to England (my understanding is that it is not in the UK this year), and basically decided that the FA cup was not worth defending.

Maybe I got it totally wrong, sorry about that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

RasTa wrote:

brilliant lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Hobart wrote:
    The FA have a say on whether Manu play in a competition or not. Sorry, I was under the madcap illusion that Manu Had decided themselves to pull out of the competition.
    err, did you even read the article you linked to?

You'll note Keane says in the interview "But that's history, we all know United didn't have any option and it had to be done"

And I'll also quote Martin Edwards from this article http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sport/football/379410.stm

"We're going to get criticized whatever we do," said Edwards.

"If we don't go people will say that we are selfish and only looking after ourselves and not prepared to help the 2006 World Cup bid.

"But we will also be criticised if we say we're not going to compete in the FA Cup."

There is also a quote in that article from the FA's interim exec at the time explaining why they asked utd to go.
    Hobart wrote:
    They also had zero influence in getting the world cup to England (my understanding is that it is not in the UK this year), and basically decided that the FA cup was not worth defending.

Just because it didn't work, doesn't mean they didn't try it. See above article for info regarding the FA and Govt pressure they were put under.

Hobart wrote:

Yes, you did. You got it exactly totally wrong.

mayordenis wrote:
    ah sure, at least pool still have a chance to win it.

Pongolle against luton,
    Defenses also stop you from losing matches.
    when was the last time you looked at your defense and thought "oh, we probably won't concede four today"
    Probably when we played against Liverpools appalling attack. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hobart wrote:
    Oh I get it know. The FA have a say on whether Manu play in a competition or not. Sorry, I was under the madcap illusion that Manu Had decided themselves to pull out of the competition. Go on a 3 week break to Brazil. Make a mockery of themselves, by failing to get a win in their first 2 games and fielding a 2nd field squad in their third game. They also had zero influence in getting the world cup to England (my understanding is that it is not in the UK this year), and basically decided that the FA cup was not worth defending.

Once again you display a complete ignorance of the topic you are arguing about. It is common knowledge Tha Man UTD were pressured by the FA and The UK Government to play in that tournament to aid Englands bid for the World Cup. That fact that the Uk did not get the tournament is irrelevant.

I don't know why you bring Unteds performance in the tournament into it, its irrelvant to your initial point unless you are trying to provoke reaction.

Your last line is exactly right except for the Maybe and Rolleyes. not for teh first time either. , As they say don't feed it.

Back on topic, United Liverpool is always a big game no matter what. The gap that was there in previous seasons has narrowed. I expect Liverpool to win in midfield but I,m hoping their lack of firepower and poor defending at set pieces will be enough to see United through. Apart from that it's best to wait until after the match to comment.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    Once again you display a complete ignorance of the topic you are arguing about. It is common knowledge Tha Man UTD were pressured by the FA and The UK Government to play in that tournament to aid Englands bid for the World Cup. That fact that the Uk did not get the tournament is irrelevant.

I don't know why you bring Unteds performance in the tournament into it, its irrelvant to your initial point unless you are trying to provoke reaction.

Your last line is exactly right except for the Maybe and Rolleyes. not for teh first time either. , As they say don't feed it.

Back on topic, United Liverpool is always a big game no matter what. The gap that was there in previous seasons has narrowed. I expect Liverpool to win in midfield but I,m hoping their lack of firepower and poor defending at set pieces will be enough to see United through. Apart from that it's best to wait until after the match to comment.
    Common knowledge, everybody knows, yada yada yada. The fact is that the FA have and had no right to exclude Manu from any competition that they had properly qualified for. Simple and final. It was Manu's decision and theirs alone to make. I was going to say I'm surpries you did'nt know that, but I'm not actually. :rolleyes:

Hobart wrote:
    Common knowledge, everybody knows, yada yada yada. The fact is that the FA have and had no right to exclude Manu from any competition that they had properly qualified for. Simplae and final. It was Manu's decision and theirs alone to make. I was going to say I'm surpries you did'nt know that, but I'm not actually. :rolleyes:
    Eh, I'll think you'll find the FA have the right. They can exclude anyone they feel fit. Do you understand how governing bodies work at all?

Eh, I'll think you'll find the FA have the right. They can exclude anyone they feel fit. Do you understand how governing bodies work at all?
    Eh I think you'll find your wrong. They can disqualify you on the grounds of x y z, not for no reason. Anyhow, that's a moot point as Manu decided themselves not to participate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Hobart wrote:
    Eh I think you'll find your wrong. They can disqualify you on the grounds of x y z, not for no reason. Anyhow, that's a moot point as Manu decided themselves not to participate.
    Would you ever cop the f*** on and stop dragging every thread off topic due to your obvious hatred of United. This has absolutely nothing to do with tomorrows match.

You're right Monster. I also apologise for moseying off point.

As for tomorrow's game, I am loathe to make any predictions. Usually because when I predict, I'm wrong.

Hmm, in that case a Liverpool win, i predict. :D

I'm going to miss the 2nd half, due to a flight, which sickens me to my very core, may have to pop up to the cockpit mid flight "Eh, capo, you'd never radio back to the tower and find out the result for me like a good lad?"

Seriously though, with all the talent on parade (given it is the 2nd and 3rd best teams in teh land on show) I'd like to think it'll be a great game, but I certainly doubt it. Usually the teams pretty much cancel each other out, and it's a dull tactical affair.

I think a lot of teams feel that Rafa's Liverpool aren't the best at opening up sides, so they like to sit back and wait for chances from set pieces or on the break.

Personally I'd rather see utd go for it, as our defence doesn't fill me with confidence (even against an attack which I feel is pretty blunt) but I don't think we will.

Either way, if we lose, I'll happily hide over there, till the furore blows over, and if we win, I'll bask in the sun.

Happy days.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement