Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modularisation

Options
  • 15-02-2006 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

i cant have been arsed dragging up the old thread but hey looks like its all flash in the pan for us 2nd years and we get to keep our degrees that will be worth somthing
    of course we must all bow down to the union and how well jane mounted her "campagin" it was all up to u guys, you really make a difference to all us students here in ucd, i think im in love with the union :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Well some of us 3rd B&Lers were given a talk on exactly what modularisation will mean for us next year and to be honest it sounds great!

Not one drawback could be picked out by any union hack in the class!

Roll on fourth year and endless choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

TheVan wrote:
    Well some of us 3rd B&Lers were given a talk on exactly what modularisation will mean for us next year and to be honest it sounds great!

Not one drawback could be picked out by any union hack in the class!

Roll on fourth year and endless choice!
    i know for those of us in arts, we have six pointless weeks off at christmas when we could have half our finals over. where is the drawback in that, and tbh i wouldnt have cared being in modules with 2nd years i mean what diff does it make!!
    ah well again a big thanks to the union for your foresight

*Edit* it takes four years to do B&L, WHY???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

To be honest I think modulirisation and semesterisation of the college is a great thing.I can't see what all the fuss is about and think UCD will really benefit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

And some of us in other faculties have Christmas exams already, CS has worked like that for a few years now. I think the modularisation is a good thing... hopefully we'll get to do some electives because it'd be nice to get to do something a bit different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

tintinr35 wrote:
    *Edit* it takes four years to do B&L, WHY???

Well basically (and don't jump in here Sangre, we've been over this one before) we do all the law subjects and all the commerce ones and they are both 3 year degrees. Therefore we need the 4 years!

Sure it could be squeezed into 3 years but then it would be no fun and we know how much fun B&L people are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Most of modularisation wouldnt have bothered me, christmas exams probably would have been a good thing. It was the new grading system that I didnt want, GPA's and all that lark. No need to change what we're used to in 3rd year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

tintinr35 wrote:
    i cant have been arsed dragging up the old thread but hey looks like its all flash in the pan for us 2nd years and we get to keep our degrees that will be worth somthing
    of course we must all bow down to the union and how well jane mounted her "campagin" it was all up to u guys, you really make a difference to all us students here in ucd, i think im in love with the union :eek:

I read about this in the College Tribune, but it only mentioned Arts. What about us Comm people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Yeah it seemed to focus on 2nd year arts students...I'm in 2nd year science, and I wanna know if I'll be modularised or not, seeing how I won't be in final year next year.

where is JHJ when u need her come on woman answer our questions

she may be busy "mounting" somthing else tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Just to clear up a few things..

Firstly, there will be meetings held for each course between reps and the Registrar and that includes Science...then, following these meetings, there will be open information sessions between all students and the Registrar for each course. Bear with me a little.

Secondly, and more importantly...

I am not a psychic person. I cannot use the power of my mind to immediately tell what the entire second year student population thinks about modularisation/semesterisation or any other -ation.

However, what I CAN do, is arrange public meetings on the issue and poster for them to find out what people want, and what they want me to do. I did this. Several times. Before, and after Christmas. I put notice of the meetings on ucdsu.net and on this very website. I also asked reps to inform their classes of these meetings. When we had devised a campaign, and a leaflet, I put them to Council as a motion for approval by ALL the class reps, who presumably (or if they didn't, they should have) consulted their class about the motion, which was given with a full week's notice. The motion was passed unanimously. You can find the text of this motion here http://www.ucdsu.net/newswire.php?story_id=914 .

The people who bothered to come to these meetings, and worked incredibly hard on the campaign, all wanted me to push for certain aspects of their course to remain the same. So that was what I did. How can I act on the basis of what some people who didn't come to the meeting might or might not think about the issue? I can only work with what I have, and with the people who care enough to get involved.

I'd also like to stress that even though the Tribune presented it as a done deal, this is still just a proposal, albeit a proposal from the Registrar which is quite significant.

All Arts students will be sent a letter this Friday with the proposals in it, from the university. There will then be an information and consultation session with the Registrar Dr. Philip Nolan on the proposals sometime next week. Details will be in the letter. So even if you did not get involved in the process so far, and still think it's fair to criticise me on these boards, I would strongly encourage you to come along to this meeting and have your voice heard. At the end of the day, this was the core base principle of the campaign that I ran; for students to be listened to and their concerns acted upon.

• Advertisement

tintinr35 wrote:
    where is JHJ when u need her come on woman answer our questions

she may be busy "mounting" somthing else tho

Mods, I find that quite offensive.

Some quotes from the old modularisation threads from the start of the year...

Vainglory wrote:
    Well, Philip Nolan has said now that there's no decision made on it yet. We're going to have a couple of open meetings the week after freshers' week that anyone who is potentially affected by this can come along to and tell us what they think ; there's no point the five of us deciding whether it's a good idea or not, we need your input too :)
    tintinr35 wrote:
    after thinking about it its a F**king disgrace that all the college has afforded us as an explaination to the fact that the whole structure of our degree is changing is a paragraph in a welcome back to ucd letter. if there is nothing definate about the change then why was it put down in print on an official ucd letter. this is my third year in ucd now (after failing a year) and it becomes more and more apparent that the college just does not give a sh1t about its students. the fact that the whole degree is changing with this years incoming first years is fine and it seems that those of us in 2nd year who this is going to affect have been forgotten about. if ucd is as it says trying to become of the leading universaties in europe then a bit more communication between the college and students is going to be necessary. fair play to james for the letter he wrote but i think we all know it is going to make fcuk all of a difference because they will plough ahead regardless. :cool:
    Vainglory wrote:
    At the moment I'm working on a document detailing what's gone wrong with modularisation for first years. We are still having the public meetings next week with potentially affected students re : modularisation Sep 2006 so you should all come along to them. And I need to hear back from people about where/when staff were told modularisation would be university wide from September. :)
    Vainglory wrote:
    How long have you got? :)

Mess-ups in first year aren't as important as mess-ups in final year, but preparing something on how Horizons has let some people down this year will help us if we have to put a case to the college that it would be negligent to introduce it for everyone next September.

Call into the office if you want and I'll go through it all with you, but it's not the most exciting of things :)

then your reply...

tintinr35 wrote:
    i think ill give it a miss
    Vainglory wrote:
    Wednesday 28th September, 1pm, Theatre N (Arts)

Last year, the Registrar Philip Nolan said that modularisation/semesterisation would not affect any current students.

The minutes from the Teaching and Learning Board state that..

“The Registrar informed the group that Professor Mannion’s Modularisation Group had agreed that there should be a three-year rolling implementation of modularisation across the University, starting with the September 2005 intake of students, so that these students would enter a fully modularised programme, with year 2 of their programme starting in 2006, and all levels of all programmes fully modularised by 2007. This would mean that existing students would not be modularised or semesterised, although if a particular Faculty wished to offer additional choice, or semesterise, they could, provided they had agreement from their student body.”

The Registrar has now announced his intention to fully modularise the university next September in 2006. This means that current second, third, fourth and fifth years would be modularised/semesterised for the remainder of their courses.

No consultation has been entered into as of yet between the university and students about this change.

UCD Students' Union has called an Open Public Meeting on the matter to discuss what our response should be to these plans and what action, if any should be taken..

WEDNESDAY 1pm, THEATRE N (ARTS)

ALL WELCOME.

And I STILL get abuse from you. Unbelievable.

Vainglory wrote:
    Mods, I find that quite offensive.
    sorry Vainglory just said that cause they kept saying it in the tribune!! Mounting a campagin
    the campagin mounted by jhj etc
    sorry no offence intended

wasnt criticising u at all in this thread smilies etc shud have been added etc to show this
    fair play on all the work tho!!

hey any one else get the letter today what do ya think? still confused i am:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Yep, I got it today.
    What is it that you're confused about?
    If I was on Mastermind Modularisation, Semesterisation and How it Will Affect Continuing Students would be my special topic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

I'm 3rd year law, on exchange at the moment. Will I return to modularisation in 4th year? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Yep, I got it today.
    What is it that you're confused about?
    If I was on Mastermind Modularisation, Semesterisation and How it Will Affect Continuing Students would be my special topic :)

Ok, how will it affect 3rd Ec & Fi 06/07?
    Will we still have the 4 options or will things be more broad?
    I hear we might be able to choose B Comm subjects next year which would be great.
    Roll on modularisation. We're already semesterised and it's great!
    *Hugs Quinn School*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

If you're going into final year incl law you won't be modularised. My own worry is that Health Sci students will have to do electives, despite us being on placements all the time in later years, and we obvioisly we won't be able to go to lectures/tutorials/practicals. Last we heard we'll have to do 2 a year like every1 else ehich will be a disaster. Hopefully the UCD heads will sort something out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I'm also worrying about that, going into third rad next year - whilst that year is pretty much modularised all ready due to Erasmus from January to March does that mean I'll have to fit modules in around all that.

In final year i'm only in college two days a week, if people have to take electives ti's going to be impossible to organise - final years are generally in 9 to 5 the two days there in already. Yes modularisation is great in some ways, it'll get rid of some of the more horrible aspects of the course but I can't help feeling we may still lose out on covering all that other years have covered. It's already happening to this years first years, they ahve to choose different aspects of radiography like CT and MRI wheras for us, as far as I know so far, we get to cover them all as that's how it's always been.

Advertisement