Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eye opener

• 15-02-2006 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

im just after making the decision to become a vegetablearian :D and its been a successfull 2 weeks, for me thats a miracle. ive been thinking about it for a while, but had an eye opening trip on mushrooms that cemented my beliefs, although i wont be doing that anymore because if i try to have a wonderfull experience and actually have a chance of bettering myself at the same time, ill be put in jail.... but i digress

i have a few worries, i keep hearing about people who have become sick, anemic etc. from not having meat in their diet, im just wondering how i can avoid becomming one of these unfortunate ppl, even tho ive stopped eating meat, and if i can avoid taking vitamin/mineral suppliments i will coz i hate them, any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 bonzo82

Yay! More vegetablarians I say!

Honestly, you can be as healthy, if not more so without meat than with it. And you don't have to take supplements either. You just need to ensure that you're gettin enough protein, iron and vitamin b12 from the foods you do eat. Some people are unfortunately under the impression that the only place to get these nutrients is meat. Protein is found in abundance in grains, beans and vegetables of all kinds. There's plenty of Iron in green leavy veg like spinach, kale etc, and b12 is slightly more difficult for vegans, but since you're going vegetarian you'll get plenty of that from eggs and dairy. It's all pretty interesting stuff to read up on, and there are plenty of good links in the sticky on this board where you can find loads of info.

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

Supplements are for pussies! I've never taken supplements and I'm healthy as anything. But do your research - make sure you know were you're getting your Iron, your B12 and your protein. Cheese and spinach are great mainstays!

By the way - what the hell kind of mushrooms WERE they?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I keep getting asked do I want those mushrooms...anyway, best stop hanging out in those shops :)

Hey catsmokinpot, you will find it quite easy to keep healthy I would imagine, I laid out a few of the foods and what they have in them that you need in the first post of this thread(scroll down a bit), http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=290778 and you should also note the link about omega oils down the page a bit.
    You should also check out your local health shops, they sell everything you need really and I find that if you have any questions they usually answer entusiastically, in galway and dublin anyway.
    G'luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

thanks lads for all the tips, its been going brilliant so far dont miss meat one bit, heads alot clearer, my digestion system feels alot better too, life is good :D
    By the way - what the hell kind of mushrooms WERE they?
    the magic (but illegal) kind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ssss

i have a few worries, i keep hearing about people who have become sick, anemic etc. from not having meat in their diet, im just wondering how i can avoid becomming one of these unfortunate ppl, even tho ive stopped eating meat, and if i can avoid taking vitamin/mineral suppliments i will coz i hate them, any suggestions?

That's just scare stories. You'll pick up the info you need along the way. You won't get sick, you might feel a bit tired now and then but that goes. Leave it a while and you'll realise just how good a thing it is to not have involvement with the meat industry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement