Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clone (dd) winXP using Linux LIVECD?

• 15-02-2006 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to clone my winXP partition from the command line in a Linux LiveCD distro and save it as an image on an external hard drive?

I'm going to be installing Linspire (alongside windows) soon on my laptop and I want to back up my winXP partition in case there are any problems. How do I go about this? I've heard about the "dd" command but not sure how it works etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

dd will do it if you have the room.
    A live cd called G4L might give
    you a nicer environment. It's menu driven for just this task.

The version I downloaded had a minor bug in setting the image name
    if you wanted to transfer via ftp to another machine.
    It was easily sorted, so if that's where you're going with it,
    let me know and I'll post the workaround.

NiallB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I have plenty space with a 180Gb external hard drive, as long as it'll be able to use them. Thanks Niall I'll check that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭deimos

There is a program on the feather bootable linux cd called "partimage". It's probably also in knoppix, nice and clean interface for backing up and making disk images.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'll second partimage, it compresses as well and ignores free space so the image will be smaller than dd. It's on the knoppix CD as is ntfsresize. one trick is to shrink C: then in XP create D: as FAT32 and then dump the image to it.

one tiny problem with dd is that you can't restore to a hdd with different geometry and get away with it all the time.

I'd still recomend using NtBackup in windows to backup the root and system state and windows folder - if using XP home it's on the CD as ntbackup.msi - note: ntbackup does not compress and can only be restored in windows.

G4U is also worth a look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

one tiny problem with dd is that you can't restore to a hdd with different geometry and get away with it all the time.
    dd will do what you want, but as Capt'n Midnight said, the new partition will have to be same size.

As far as I know, Linux can read an NTFS filesystem, so you could mount the partition in read-only mode and then make an archive of the filesystem on the portable. I've never done this, so I don't know if you'd be able to restore from that archive, some NTFS information might have been lost. Doing that is a higher level than using dd, and you wouldn't have to worry about partition sizes, which is a plus.

A recommendation for dd. Tell dd to use a high block size (bs) like 1,000,000. In my experience the dd is much faster.

For example:
    [din][~]$ time dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null count=1000000 bs=1
    1000000+0 records in
    1000000+0 records out
    1000000 bytes transferred in 4.243439 secs (235658 bytes/sec)

real    0m4.259s
    user    0m0.944s
    sys     0m2.906s
    [din][~]$ time dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null count=1 bs=1000000
    1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    1000000 bytes transferred in 0.006258 secs (159795184 bytes/sec)

real    0m0.028s
    user    0m0.001s
    sys     0m0.010s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I thought I could use something like resizefs to get the image to fill a bigger drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

You can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Syth wrote:
    dd will do what you want, but as Capt'n Midnight said, the new partition will have to be same size.

also physically bad disks fail

not that im suggesing you have a bad drive :-)

partimage is part of the debian distro "may" be in dsl

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

NutJob wrote:
    also physically bad disks fail

not that im suggesing you have a bad drive :-)

partimage is part of the debian distro "may" be in dsl
    You can tell it to ignore bad blocks, ghost can also be told to ignore band blocks.. and both can still fail to make a decent image :(

Partimage will restore to the same size or bigger partition, ntfsresize can shrink down before imaging, but not the best option if you suspect bad blocks

Advertisement