Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday disaster - avenues for recourse

Options
  • 15-02-2006 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Folks,

I took a holiday last year to Cuba with the "Consistently voted Ireland’s Number 1 Longhaul Tour Operator" and it was a disaster from when our bags got lost on arrival from the time our flight was cancelled on our return. I've written to the firm in question basically they have washed their hands of all responsibility for what happened during the 10 days away. Comments like referring to Cuba as a 3rd world country will give you an indication of their attitude to our experiences.

Have any of you folks have similar experiences and anyone got advice on how to make these people accept their responsibility before I go public?

All comments appreciated

Kommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Not quite sure but I'd imagine the Director of Consumer Affairs might be a good route to take. Check out www.odca.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

get advice of a solicitor cause there are so many stupid laws and rules governing all of what happened to you its best get someone who can translate the lingo for you

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kommy

Thanks folks! Basically the solicitors advice is to go public on the situation because as you say these people have their asses covered by the small print i.e. iberia lost our bags.....not the travel agencies problem even though lost bags going to cuba is a regular occurance. Were we advised of this ...no.....are they doing anything about it...apparently not. Methinks that taking the situation pulic is the best course of redress...... Anyone got a contact in RTE or the newspapers?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Get on to the Irish Travel Agents Association

They should be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Kommy wrote:
    I took a holiday last year to Cuba with the "Consistently voted Ireland’s Number 1 Longhaul Tour Operator" and it was a disaster

So what actually happened? (bar the lost bags)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Kommy wrote:
    Thanks folks! Basically the solicitors advice is to go public on the situation because as you say these people have their asses covered by the small print i.e. iberia lost our bags.....not the travel agencies problem even though lost bags going to cuba is a regular occurance. Were we advised of this ...no.....are they doing anything about it...apparently not. Methinks that taking the situation pulic is the best course of redress...... Anyone got a contact in RTE or the newspapers?

I'd be inclined to say the travel agent isn't responsible for your bags. I don't think it would really need to be in the small print.

Bags get lost, what kind of warning do you expect them to give? It is common knowledge that this kind of thing happens and you should carry essentials on your person.

Have you pursued the the airline?

How did you find out the airline keeps losing bags?

The airline sounds like the people responsible so I don't get why you hold the travel agent responsible?

Was there something wrong other than the flights and bags?

BY the way Cuba is a 3rd World country and services in such countries are notoriously patchy. Friends of mine who travel to such countries with work are used to losing bags. Sometimes they get them back sometimes not.

At worst they didn't make sure you were full aware of what many would consider common knowledge.

Advertisement