Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holsten Premier League of Darts - Week 1

Options
  • 15-02-2006 5:58pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The four matches for the opening week of the Premier League in Blackburn are as follows:

Wayne Mardle V Phil Taylor
    Peter Manley V Roland Scholten
    Ray Barneveld V Ronnie Baxter
    Phil Taylor V Colin Lloyd

Some cracking matches with Mardle against Taylor a great opener after their epic semi-final at the World Championships. All eyes will be on Barney as well to see how he gets on. Also the last game of the night is the world number 1 and 2 going head to head. lloyd has never beaten Taylor on TV and will be desperate to put that right tomorrow. My predictions are:

Wayne Mardle 5 - 7 Phil Taylor
    Peter Manley 4 - 8 Roland Scholten
    Ray Barneveld 7 - 5 Ronnie Baxter
    Phil Taylor 8 - 4 Colin Lloyd

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Kingp35 wrote:
    Wayne Mardle 5 - 7 Phil Taylor
    Peter Manley 4 - 8 Roland Scholten
    Ray Barneveld 7 - 5 Ronnie Baxter
    Phil Taylor 8 - 4 Colin Lloyd

I didnt realise they had changed the format this year with it being the best of 14 legs and they dont play any dead legs meaning once someone gets to 8 the match is over.

The results were:

Wayne Mardle 6 8 Phil Taylor
    Peter Manley 4 8 Roland Scholten
    Ray Barneveld 8 1 Ronnie Baxter
    Phil Taylor 8 1 Colin Lloyd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

I have to say I'm a Ronnie Baxter fan and just wished he would play to his full potential but last night Barney was on fire, its great to have him over in the PDC.

Mardle played a great game but just ran out of puff right at the business end of the the game, but all credit to the power he just never ever gives in.

Thought Manley was a little bit disappointing, but Scholten was hitting the 60's like they were going out of fashion.

Barney was just too good for Baxter.

Taylor Vs Lloyd: Taylor was out to prove a point after Barney's performance and boy did he do just that, he wiped the floor with Jaws. I just think after the World Grandprix Final in Dublin when everyone thought (including myself) that Lloyd can defo beat Taylor - and Taylor stomped him, that game really got into Lloyd's head and I don't think he has the confidence to beat the Bully Phil Taylor now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Mardle had his chances to beat Taylor again last night but once again his check out rate just wasnt good enough. Scholten was impressive against Manley and maybe he is starting to get his from back. Barney was magnificent on hid PDC debut and he could be the one to put up a real challenge to the power. But then taylor came out and demolished Lloyd as if to just prove a point to everyone that no matter who comes along, he is still the best there is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Very enjoyable night of darts.

Mardle should definitely have got at least a draw against Taylor. Blew it in the end really.

Great to see Barney play so well. Whets the appetite for his future battles - against Taylor and Lloyd especially.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Mardle should definitely have got at least a draw against Taylor. Blew it in the end really.

Same old story with Mardle, he always seems to play very well but mess up a double at the vital moment to allow Taylor to take the advantage. Last night he had darts at doubles against Taylors throw 3 times but only managed to win one of those legs. But as soon as he broke back he missed doubles to win the leg on his throw to allow Taylor to break right back. Mardle is getting better though and I think since he has cut out a bit of the showmanship he has become a better player. I think he will finish in the top four.

Manley Scholten was a poor quality contest really with both of them struggling at the start. Scholten picked it up and ultimately that proved decisive but both will have to play alot better if they are to do anything in this tournament.

Barney was brilliant last night except for one leg which he didnt do too well in. Baxter didnt have a hope and I think Barney coped brilliantly considering I doubt he played in an atmosphere like that before.

Taylor came out with a point to prove against Lloyd after seeing Barney hammer Baxter and my god did he prove it. Again though Lloyd was disappointing and I dont know what it is with him but he can never seem to do well when he plays Taylor. Its almost as if he is scared of him.

So a great night of Darts and I cant wait for the next one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement