Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

no spare key with car

Options
  • 15-02-2006 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

bought a 2003 peugeot 307 hdi,

only after everything was signed and paid for i was told that the previous owner was still looking for the spare key, and if it doesn't show up, i'll have to buy a new one

is that true, and how much would it cost

also i noticed that the sunvisor is held together by selotape so whats the story, can i get it replaced, or should i have noticed it during the test drives

Comments

Ahh jaysus. If you are buying from a dealer the least you can expect is a spare key for paying extra. Hassle them for one.

Since money had changed hands you are going to have a more difficult time getting anything out of the dealer..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

If the sunvisor is loose or broken, I would politely request a replacement. The key is a different matter - they are not obliged to give you spare keys but if they are a main Pug dealer, they should provide the key at a nominal cost.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Chestylarue

I got a 206 demo 2004 and traded for a new 2005 in october and have only ever got one key and another for the passenger airbag to be turned off. I was told (can't remember if it was by the dealer) that they only give one key out as it has a chip in it and apparently costs €70 to get a spare key.

That said I haven't forked that out to get a one so not sure if that price is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

you should always have a spare key!! Jaysus, imagine if you lost it or something? you're ****ed then...

I once accidentally lock my key in the car after a gig in town, so i had to get a taxi home, get the spare, and get a taxi back!! pain in the hole!!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

I had to get a spare key for my Golf once, it cost over €80, it had to come in from Germany and then be coded here in Ireland. I think the key itself was €80 then the coding was extra. Yours would have to come from France, I know the Renault ones are nearly €200 with the central locking and all in them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

thanks lads, i'll politely request a visor

wonder can i get a key that will just open the doors, that would be a all you'd need

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

go up to the bluebell motor company
    i had to get a new spare key cut for the 206 and it cost a total of €108.00 inc. vat

the Blip cost €45.00, the key blade itself cost €10.00 and the labour was €40.

vat included was parts €7.45 @ 21% and labour €5.40 @13.5%

www.bluebellmotorco.com

tell: 01-4501555

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Assuming there is a second key what's to stop the holder walking up to your pride and joy, opening it and driving away? Always get all the keys!

If you only noticed faults after the price was agreed and paid, I'm not sure the dealer has any further obligation to you at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 juanita

Assuming there is a second key what's to stop the holder walking up to your pride and joy, opening it and driving away? Always get all the keys!

If you only noticed faults after the price was agreed and paid, I'm not sure the dealer has any further obligation to you at that point.

oh god :eek:

very good point about the spare key, it would cost a fortune to get all the locks changed though

although how do you ever know for sure that their isnt a third key for a car??
    from what i am reading hear i dont know why people buy second hand cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I've had two new peugeots and they both came with two keys although only one had the remote unlock button on it. The other was just a regular key whick opens the doors manually. I don't know what the keys are like if you have a factory fitted alarm though, I guess you would need a coded key then

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mukki wrote:
    bought a 2003 peugeot 307 hdi,

only after everything was signed and paid for i was told that the previous owner was still looking for the spare key, and if it doesn't show up, i'll have to buy a new one

is that true, and how much would it cost

also i noticed that the sunvisor is held together by selotape so whats the story, can i get it replaced, or should i have noticed it during the test drives

I assume you got a warranty with the car? The visor problem should be sorted under warranty.

The second key missing may not be covered under the warranty but the garage still sold you the car without the spare key. If a reputable garage is anyway interested in keeping you as a regular customer then they should at least split the cost with you of getting a new key recoded. Might be worth making this point to them.

bazz26 wrote:
    I assume you got a warranty with the car? The visor problem should be sorted under warranty.

The second key missing may not be covered under the warranty but the garage still sold you the car without the spare key. If a reputable garage is anyway interested in keeping you as a regular customer then they should at least split the cost with you of getting a new key recoded. Might be worth making this point to them.

he gave me a 3 month warrenty

this looks promising from http://oasis.gov.ie/consumer_affairs/motoring/advice_on_buying_a_used_car_in_Ireland.html

From a garage or car dealer

In this situation you, as a consumer, are protected by the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 as you are buying a car for your personal use from a person whose normal business it is to sell cars. As a consumer you have the same rights if you buy an item second hand as if it is new. In this case if you find a fault with the car after you have bought it the dealer is the person who must set matters right. If you buy a commercial vehicle or a tractor from a dealer you may not have the same protection under the law. If you are offered an extended warranty on a used car think about the cost of the warranty versus the cost of repairs that the car is likely to need.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mukki wrote:
    he gave me a 3 month warrenty

this looks promising from http://oasis.gov.ie/consumer_affairs/motoring/advice_on_buying_a_used_car_in_Ireland.html

From a garage or car dealer

In this situation you, as a consumer, are protected by the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 as you are buying a car for your personal use from a person whose normal business it is to sell cars. As a consumer you have the same rights if you buy an item second hand as if it is new. In this case if you find a fault with the car after you have bought it the dealer is the person who must set matters right. If you buy a commercial vehicle or a tractor from a dealer you may not have the same protection under the law. If you are offered an extended warranty on a used car think about the cost of the warranty versus the cost of repairs that the car is likely to need.

A 2003 car should have come with a 6 or 12 month used car warranty but this is neither here nor there now.

I would press them to replace the missing key or the very least pay half the cost of replacing it.

bazz26 wrote:
    A 2003 car should have come with a 6 or 12 month used car warranty but this is neither here nor there now.

I would press them to replace the missing key or the very least pay half the cost of replacing it.

yeah i forgot to ask about warrenty before i paid the deposit, god they change their tune once the deposit is paid, lessons learned for next time, i never bought a second hand car before, i should have got one of the brothers to help me out.

ah well, the visor will break within the next 3 months, so i'll nip back with it then

fingers crossed the spare key will turn up, wonder if i can get the previous owners name to give him a call

on a lighter note, :D:D:D god the 110bhp engine is so much fun :D:D:D

heres an idea, how about a sticky with all the questions to ask, and things to watch out for when buying a second hand car, christ i would have never thought to ask about the spare key before paying the deposit

god i am such a sh1t stirrer

i have sent such a bitching mail to peugeot ireland, turns out the car was on a peugeot website http://www.platinumcars.ie/contentv3/
    saying it has 1years warrenty, 1 years roadside assistance and has been through a 115 point check, and yet the sun visor is held together by selotape!!!!, i told them to get a manager to ring me today! and a lot more about 5 paragraphs in total, i'll keep ye posted :D

feic them!

got a call from peugeot distributors, he just wanted to say that he has read my mail, he agrees with me and is gonna get in touch with the dealer to get his side of the story

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SDunne4

faigs wrote:
    I had to get a spare key for my Golf once, it cost over €80, it had to come in from Germany and then be coded here in Ireland. I think the key itself was €80 then the coding was extra. Yours would have to come from France, I know the Renault ones are nearly €200 with the central locking and all in them.
    yeah it cost me 140 euro for a 98 Rernault Megane replacment key

SDunne4 wrote:
    yeah it cost me 140 euro for a 98 Rernault Megane replacment key

expecting me to cough up €140 for a key after me paying 16,000 for a car, they must be chancing their luck

oh my god ----I found the spare wheel floating in water too

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

doesn't look like a car that was minded

• Advertisement

right lads....heres the story

i finally got a call from a guy from peugeot ireland today, i got his name and email address, made up an email with pictures that i just posted and a few more, added links to adds for the car online, then abit of speil acusing the dealer of not offering the warrenty that is advertsed and saying that the millage in his adverts was made up ect, ect

sent mail to
    the dealer :rolleyes:
    and the peugeot support guy :)
    carzone.ie :D

rang the dealer asking him to check his mail, then after giving him a bollocking :mad: for 15mins on the phone he said he would get back to me, he really hadn't a clue, he even said once that he would probaly find things wrong with the car i traded in :eek: like WTF is he on about!!!

n e way....got a call back about 2 hrs later saying that i would never be happy with the car and to bring it back take it my old car, the check and the deposit back. now when does a second hand dealer car about his buyers happyness

:D winging really works, feel sorry for the guy who does buy it, bet they still won't fix it

Advertisement