Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Else in Maynooth having SERIOUS DSL plroblems?

• 15-02-2006 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

I'm in Maynooth and have had DigiWeb's second from top package for a few years now. It had always been superb. Before the infernal Eircom "upgrade" I had a 3MB line and I was getting 3MB on it. Now, I have a 4MB line and am getting a MAX of about 500 KB, yes KB and usially about 230 KB. This has been the situation since the 'upgrade'. (see http://www.minds.nuim.ie/~voyager/blog/index.php?/archives/83-They-Sure-Know-How-to-Rub-it-in.html)

I've comaplained to DigiWeb but they insist it's an Eircom fault and has nothing to do with them. Then I found out yesterday that one of my mates who lives on the other side of Maynooth is having a similar problem but not to the same extreme. I'm trying to figure out if this is a case of Eircom looking after their own and leaving everyone else to suffer.

So, if you are in Maynooth I'd really appreciate it if you could answer these two questions:

1) Who is your provider
    2) Are you getting a major slowdown since the "upgrade"

P.S.
    I did try to ring Eircom to get some anwers from them but that was a BAD idea (see http://www.minds.nuim.ie/~voyager/blog/index.php?/archives/81-Eircom-Incompetent-and-Downright-Rude.html).

Cheers for your help,

Bart.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I had similar problems a few years back.
    In the end I just switched over to Esat.
    IMO this is a case of digiweb increasing speeds in line with eircom/bitstream resellers packages; but not having the bandwidth themselves to handle the upgrade.

In other words, its basically just an upgrade on paper to keep them in line with the other DSL resellers.
    Other ISPs do have the extra capacity to handle these upgrades, as can be seen by smarts 6mb/512k upgrade over christmas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im in Dunshaughlin but with Eircom and having the exact same problem as you since the day of the upgrade, i get really varied speeds anything from 28k to 3mb, often less than 1mb for maybe 5 hours every evening with massive ping spikes and packet loss and most of saturday and sundays, at night after midnight its perfect back to lovely stable 3mb and low pings. Ive been on to eircom about 8 times and they keep insisting its spyware or a virus on my computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭bartificer

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    IMO this is a case of digiweb increasing speeds in line with eircom/bitstream resellers packages; but not having the bandwidth themselves to handle the upgrade.

In other words, its basically just an upgrade on paper to keep them in line with the other DSL resellers.
    Other ISPs do have the extra capacity to handle these upgrades, as can be seen by smarts 6mb/512k upgrade over christmas.
    I have to say I've been with DigiWeb for two previous upgrades and all went well. In this case it may be Eircom Incompetance rather than anything else. What would proove that to me is if Eircom customers in Maynooth were suffering the same but so far there don't seem to be any which is rather suspicious.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

well im gonna ring eircom again im sick of this rotten service i been getting since the shoddy upgrade, pings are in the 100s to everywhere and my speeds quartered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭bartificer

Gonzo wrote:
    well im gonna ring eircom again im sick of this rotten service i been getting since the shoddy upgrade, pings are in the 100s to everywhere and my speeds quartered.
    Good luck to ya! I found the experience of ringing them to be imensly stress-inducing and un-pleasent. Let me know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

FuzzyLogic wrote:

well i'm on the donadea exchange about 5 miles from maynooth on digiweb and mine is working perfectly, so i seriously doubt this is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭falteringstar

Im in Kilcock and my speeds are truly awful. I was on the 1mb line upgraded to 2mb. but then it was downgraded to a 1mb line but most of the time all i get is 200kbps.

Advertisement