Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bands

• 15-02-2006 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Whats your favourite local band or bands that play in the local pubs/clubs. I myself am a big tenderhooox fan but cunning stunts are without a doubt the best covers band in county louth. As for venues id have to say that mc phails in droghda is simply the best.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Alright Spiral Notebook AKA The drummer in Cunning Stunts, best covers band in County Louth my spotty arse. Pighead can say with absolute certainty that it is The Stormers who are derserving of that particular accolade. You know it buddy.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Best band in the north east is Scavenger without a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭mise_me_fein_V2

Cover band are mostly crap.

The only thing that separtates any cover band from another one is how much they are willing to spend on their equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Stormers? Seen them once and they were pretty bad, Tenderhoox are probably one of the best, Really sound guys aswell(i think i'm using there old pa!!).
    People would say starman are good but there completly overrated and you cant even hear the fcuking singer half the time.
    Also forsaken, but they went their seperate ways last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Spiral Notebook

Just to let pig head know i an't anythin to the cunnin stunts, just a fan and that the stormers are most definately not the best band on the circuit at the moment. They are good alright but not great. A good up and coming band at the momet is White Noise, there only giggin 2 or 3 months but they are causin a good stir localy, i was lookin at their gig guide and they done their first gig on New Years Eve and they are already playin most weekends, they have 5 or 6 gigs in March alone. Thats not half bad for a new band......

• Advertisement

You're def from Ardee and probably related to some of the lads in White Noise then. Quite a stir? What sh!te is that?

What about the Flaws from Carrick getting a record deal with Polydor.
    Shouldn't we be raising the profile of a band that's actually writing stuff instead of wanabe's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Dundalk Online

The Flaws are in hot press (this week i think)

Yea i heard of the Flaws and i heard they are really good and fair play to them for gettin a record deal and i do agree that the only thing that seperates cover bands is the PA they use because your not gonna go and listen to a band with bad sound but that is also true for bands that do their own stuff, in order to build up a bit of a followin they are gonna play their own stuff in some venues and if they have some very well written songs but a poor PA then the songs are gonna come across as soundin bad where as if they have a good PA the songs are gonna sound alot better. So wheather your an original band or a cover band the PA has a hell of alot to do with how you come across to people. Thats my opinion anyway so take it or leave it.........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

I think Hot Rocks are alright,never been to a gig of theirs,but i live next to indigo,might aswell be inside:(

yeah hot rocks are pretty loud.

You only think you need to build a following and all the crap because no one has ever done otherwise.

All you have to do is get playing your own stuff and give it a go.

The thing is writing a song is a talent, so it's takes more than a 15,000 euro rig

• Advertisement

Yea but in order to "give it a go" you need somethin to play through and thats my point, the better that somethin is the better you sound. As for needin talent to write songs i totally agree with you, it takes a great talent to compose a good song.

yeah hot rocks are pretty loud.

You only think you need to build a following and all the crap because no one has ever done otherwise.

All you have to do is get playing your own stuff and give it a go.

The thing is writing a song is a talent, so it's takes more than a 15,000 euro rig

Mise me fein V2, i dont suppose you play in a band based in ardee called REZ? Cause you have a very similar opinion to my cousin who plays in that band.............

Havent seen REZ around lately. Theres really no bands in ardee who write there own music? I'm in one but the rest of the band are lazy fcukers:D
    Carpo, do you guys write any of your own stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

Micky, Rez write some music.

And in all fairness, you're all lazyfcukers in the band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

[QUOTE=As for venues id have to say that mc phails in droghda is simply the best.[/QUOTE]
    Christ on a bike. It's not even the best live music venue in Drogheda anymore. McHughs kicks its arse up and down laurences street now. I do believe the Spirit Store is at the top of the tree.

Havent seen REZ around lately. Theres really no bands in ardee who write there own music? I'm in one but the rest of the band are lazy fcukers:D

Yeah Mickey we do,were recording a four track EP in the next six months,ill fire ya one off when its done;)

I know they're not everyone's cup of tea but Ocean Colour Scene might be playing a gig in the new Mc Hughs in the next couple of months....

you heard it here first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I know they're not everyone's cup of tea but Ocean Colour Scene might be playing a gig in the new Mc Hughs in the next couple of months....

you heard it here first
    They're playing the Trinity Ball in May, so maybe around the same time...?

Hey mickey, (youd never guess im from ardee hey!) Whats the name of your band and when yous giggin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 PoppyG

the REZ are actually quite good and branching out a bit with their own music, saw them first in indigo to find out im attached to most of them in some way, as we all are in ardee! Star Man are good (though strangely old looking) but a bit boring now cause they do the same set and play to the same crowd in indigo too much! Havent heard of white nose but ill look out for them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 PoppyG

Hey mickey, (youd never guess im from ardee hey!) Whats the name of your band and when yous giggin?

from that quote you can easily tell your from ardee, ardonians seem to end most sentences with "hey?", i only notice that when im in dublin

Were not really giggin because their lazy f**kers. But anyway we go by the name of "She'll Drive Herself!!" U in a band?

Were not really giggin because their lazy f**kers. But anyway we go by the name of "She'll Drive Herself!!" U in a band?

Yeah mickey,its just them that are lazy ****ers:rolleyes:

I'm not lazy, i'm just laid back. Its part of my natural charisma!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kittenz

does anyone know what the new website address is for McHugh's, Drogheda. It was in the paper the other week and i cant remember what it was.. it gives the music line up for the next while. any input would be great. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭dream brother

where's all the live in navan? is it a big sercet and we all have to search it out? the only pub that i've seen is Blake's on a thursday night? WWWhhhoooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 MaryJane213

http://www.mchughsmusic.com/

and i don't know if you've heard but repuplic of loose are playing there soon and tickets are on sale now...so hurry and get your ticket coz they're sellin out fast!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kittenz

Thanks for the info MaryJane :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Below the belt from Kells.

• Advertisement

andrewie wrote:
    Below the belt from Kells.
    Did they play in the collage bar in dundalk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Did they play in the collage bar in dundalk?

They could have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pmono2001

the lead singer from starman has left thank ****. i dont like them at all. far too overrated, but all the girls seem to like em. tenderhoox and rez hav been around awhile. the guys are all pretty sound in both bands(im obliged to say that). white noise for a band just starting are pretty good. not on the level of the other two but will get there if they keep at it!(again obliged to say it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

yeh starman are way over rated and played it up for the women mostly
    loved them at the start because they played interpol evil but gradualy they wore thin and got on my nerves.

havent heard tenderhoox in ages, they used to be good but i've heard they have gone downhill a bit.

rez are ok too but they just seem like a solid band, nothing special just solid.

impressed with white noise but again have yet to see them do anything special, they play the usual stuff.

seen she'll drive herself play before white noise in the castle, great taste in music, decent band but need alot of work, especially the lead singer, he was terrible.

below the belt seen them in indigo once, had to leave after twenty minutes, useless.

other bands to avoid............. Vertigo, Catch 22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pmono2001

draffodx wrote:

havent heard tenderhoox in ages, they used to be good but i've heard they have gone downhill a bit.

they did but they got rid of their singer and they are back to their best. go see them in mcphails next month.
    below the belt seen them in indigo once, had to leave after twenty minutes, useless.

i dont care but ya cant judge a band indigo! its a ****ing terrible place for any band to play!

its just cack!:o

Advertisement