Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking Problem

Options
  • 15-02-2006 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I recently got a new laptop and am hooking it up to my adsl router, the problem i'm experiencing is rather strange, the connection is up but whenever I try to connect to the internet it loads some pages fine without problems yet other pages it doesn't even find. An example of this is it loading up google.ie but not google.com . Anyone know what's up with it? It's driving me insane.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

What sort of virus scanner do you have installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

currently, none , since i haven't been able to access grisoft :/

Then I suggest you get one and run a full virus and adware scan. Should solve your problem.

considering it's a new machine out of the box..

Is there any sort of internet security programs on it? Firewall enabled? Does the router work with other computers?

• Advertisement

I have a firewall on it, have the same firewall on this PC which is hooked up to the same router and have no problems at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

In addition to feylya's helpful suggestion about virus and adware scans, type the following from a command prompt : nslookup google.ie

You should get the following IP Addresses back : 216.239.57.99, 216.239.39.99, 216.239.37.99

Then do : nslookup google.com

I got back : 64.233.167.99, 72.14.207.99, 64.233.187.99, however you may get slightly different results.

If you get errors (or wildly different addresses from the above) then something's interfering with your DNS lookups, or your settings may be wrong.

Additionally, try pinging one or more of the above google.com addresses. Also try entering them into your browser eg : http://64.233.167.99/. You should get to the Google site that way as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Liam

Ok, finished the virus and adware scans, clean. The DNS lookups thing isn't coming out at all for me. Can't resolve anything :| or ping either.. but I can ping fine on this computer which is connected the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

Really strange .....

Can you post up your PING / NSLOOKUP results from GOOGLE.IE / GOOGLE.COM

Sounds like issues with your ISPs DNS Server ; records missing.

Who is your ISP ???? , what is the DNS Servers address ....

erm, for PING/NSLOOKUP/

For google.ie sometimes it pings fine othertimes not at all.
    NSLookup sometimes works,sometimes doesn't.

Tried PING/NSLOOKUP on google.com and... it says it can't find it.

I'm on UTV

• Advertisement

If a regular nslookup google.com fails, try this : nslookup google.ie 194.125.133.10 - that's a lookup specifying a DNS server that's known to be good.

However, what's puzzling is the fact that your DNS lookups and pings work sometimes. This would seem to indicate that your settings are correct. It may be a connectivity problem. Need to ask a few more questions ....

1. When you say that you're "hooking up" your new laptop, are you connecting to the router with a cable or wirelessly?

2. Are your regular computer and laptop connected to the router at the same time?

3. How are you setting the IP addresses? Manually or automatically? What are they?

4. How are you specifying your DNS server? What is its IP Address?

1. Cable
    2.Yes
    3. Tried both, manual right now.
    4. Erm, no idea :(

Tried your lookup and it timed out.

You'll find your DNS settings in the same place that you set your IP Address : in Network Connections, right-click on your Loca Area Connection and select Properties. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)and click properties. Your DNS settings are on the bottom of the next screen.

If you're having problems doing a DNS lookup against a specific DNS Server and you're also having problems with pings then it doesn't sound like a DNS problem and I'd start looking elsewhere for the problem.

Have you tried changing the cable?

What happens if the PC is removed from the network?

Try connecting the PC and the laptop with a cross-over cable and doing a ping /t from one to the other and see do you get timeouts.

Hmm, my DNS Settings is my router.
    Tried changing the cable , no effect.
    I can ping each other fine :| but some timeouts.

Hmm... seems to have fixed itself..

NeoSlicerZ wrote:
    Hmm, my DNS Settings is my router.
    Tried changing the cable , no effect.
    I can ping each other fine :| but some timeouts.
    The router acting as the DNS server is fine, the question now is were you unable to connect to the router to make a DNS query or was the router unable to make an upstream query.

You shouldn't have any timeouts when pinging a machine on a LAN, particularly when it consists of only two machines. Did you use a cross-over cable or did you connect through the router? The reason I was suggesting the cross-over cable was to eliminate the router from the equation.
    NeoSlicerZ wrote:
    Hmm... seems to have fixed itself..
    These things don't fix themselves. It may have been a loose cable, a dodgy connection in the cable which has been temporarily fixed by the removal and re-insertion. Who knows? Anyway, hope it stays gone.

Regards,

Liam

hmm... getting something _really_ strange now, can access a site (animesuki.com) but not the forums... on the laptop but I can on the PC... *boggles*

[EDIT] nm, working again now o.O [/EDIT]

Ok, problem is cropping up again :/, pretty much same as before, laptop's connected to router, router's connected, laptop's not getting onto the internet though the network is fine. PC on the same network is on the Internet fine. Sometimes the Internet works fine, others not at all on the laptop.. It's bemusing me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

NeoSlicerZ wrote:
    considering it's a new machine out of the box..
    Until XP SP2 a new machine out of the box would be hacked within 14-16 minutes of going on broadband depending on who you believe. (or as little as 30 seconds if you are really unlucky ! )

Fully patched machines are usually vunerable to being taken complete control of if you use IE and visit certain websites and aren't running separately installed anti-malware software.

...It has SP2, I installed firewall/av before connected to the network... then I installed the anti-spyware stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement