Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ventrilo V Teamspeak

• 15-02-2006 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭

Choose sides.

Now.

The winner will be the voice-comms we use at the LANs and I'll install it on galwaylan.com too.

.:. 19 votes

Ventrilo
    0% 0 votes
    TeamSpeak
    52% 10 votes
    Other (post details and url below)
    47% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Vent by a country mile IMO :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I choose teamspeak; I've not used vent much. Teamspeak does what it says for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 statix

Ventrilo 4tw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Robert

Teamspeak is my choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Have used both alot, neither is too far ahead of the other for me really, and once you download that package thing you have all the versions of both you need...

Flip a coin, then get back to choosing which is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

I vote vent because;
    vent > teamspeak

Got to love the robot voice in vent. Try these "would you like to play a game?", "soi" and "die" "die," and "die?" and loads of others! "machine gun goes xtxtxtxtxtxtxtxt"
    Funny stuff :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You are easily amused.

How about a trial of both?

Would ye use voicecomms while playing on the GLan BF2,Quake,UT2K4 servers?

I'd use voicecomms with qw, only shouting across the room is just so much better.

SyxPak wrote:
    You are easily amused.

How about a trial of both?

Would ye use voicecomms while playing on the GLan BF2,Quake,UT2K4 servers?

ye :D
    I'd use it most of the time. You could have loads of different channels setup. e.g. BF2, -1.Americans -2.mec+
    and nongaming channels, e.g. -leeching, -problems, etc.
    In vent, say if you had a pc prob/question and all admins are downstairs, you could join the "problems" channel and simply page an admin to get his attention.

If everyone had mirc games could be started simply, a channel for all games should be setup, e.g. #BF2 #CS #quake. Then when you are starting a game just "/amsg BF server NOW gogogogo".

Also in the same way you guys make virus updates and patches available, it would be a good idea to make a games browser available, e.g. ASE, for people who aren't familiar with online gaming. This way if you wanted to see if any games were up you could just browse lan games, as opposed to walking around and looking at peoples screens.

For vent you wouldn't want more than 6 people in any channel though. Even when playing with a proper clan, that only converse critical information, during a match comms can get really tied up. Just imagine guys that are having fun and end up shouting "OMFG WTF WAS THAT YOU LUCKORZ GIT BLAHBLAHBLAH" or simply pissing themselves laughing, etc. Everytime they die, it gets very annoying.

Infact now that I think of it using vent in bf2 with more than 6people on each team would be a nightmare. Thats prob the reason squads are limited to 6, for BF2, ingame comms >vent or teamspeak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Mr_Overlord

TS2 FtW :D

• Advertisement

Ruffty^ wrote:
    ye :D
    I'd use it most of the time. You could have loads of different channels setup. e.g. BF2, -1.Americans -2.mec+
    and nongaming channels, e.g. -leeching, -problems, etc.
    In vent, say if you had a pc prob/question and all admins are downstairs, you could join the "problems" channel and simply page an admin to get his attention.

If everyone had mirc games could be started simply, a channel for all games should be setup, e.g. #BF2 #CS #quake. Then when you are starting a game just "/amsg BF server NOW gogogogo".
    We've been running an irc server at most of the lans for quite a while now. I don't really see how voice comms could improve tech help/patch access queries, but I wouldn't presume to stop people creating whatever channels they see fit.
    Also in the same way you guys make virus updates and patches available, it would be a good idea to make a games browser available, e.g. ASE, for people who aren't familiar with online gaming. This way if you wanted to see if any games were up you could just browse lan games, as opposed to walking around and looking at peoples screens.
    I've been looking for LAN-game browsers that support modern games, but haven't found any.
    For vent you wouldn't want more than 6 people in any channel though. Even when playing with a proper clan, that only converse critical information, during a match comms can get really tied up. Just imagine guys that are having fun and end up shouting "OMFG WTF WAS THAT YOU LUCKORZ GIT BLAHBLAHBLAH" or simply pissing themselves laughing, etc. Everytime they die, it gets very annoying.

Infact now that I think of it using vent in bf2 with more than 6people on each team would be a nightmare. Thats prob the reason squads are limited to 6, for BF2, ingame comms >vent or teamspeak.

Aye, well I don't see us using it with teams larger than 5-6 anywyas (not just BF2 either, just about any game we play could be improved with voice-comms.

ASE can be used on LAN afaik, that is I think it has a built in port scanner thingy, so you can just tell it to scan a range for servers on those ports etc..

Yup, I've used it for the last 3 lans and it works grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Mr_Overlord

Fobia wrote:
    ASE can be used on LAN afaik, that is I think it has a built in port scanner thingy, so you can just tell it to scan a range for servers on those ports etc..

Yup it detects all game versions too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

vent > ts

**** it just go with vent, no point in arsing around with TS trial :D

didn't see the votes there, infact I take back my previous remark! I can't be arsed editing then deleting, this is far quicker :D

ASE +VENT +MIRC +instructions on how to setup each (like 3 lines is enough)=Gr8 lannag3

People never read my carefully-written instructions and helpful guides.
    Instead, they find ramming their forehead against a concrete block wall will yield digital bliss.

Ok, I want to know why some of you think ventrilo is better than TS?
    I'm not partial to any voice-comms yet as I don't use them all that often, but I have a feeling all of ye are just voting for what you use, not what's objectively better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Primal

I reckon Vent is better. In my experience of using both, vent gives better clarity. Both are very good when it comes to bandwidth but vent gives a higher quality.

They're both the exact same when it comes down to it. They use the same codecs afterall, its just the layout that is different. Setting up a server for vent is really easy anyway, not too sure about TS but I imagine its the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

i dont go to lans (YET) BUT WILL GIVE MY INPUT: (oops for caps :D)
    i found vent was much simpler than ts2 i dont know why, but i just did and it wasnt as bulky :cool: anyway thats all i htink of them

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Zerolord

I have just started to use Vent in a Lan tourny in galway for the first time last wends and from using TS2 all the time while playing online games i have to say vent is alot better than TS.

The sound quality of vent is just far better than TS, so from now on im using Vent.

THE SOUND IS THE SAME god damn - as anima said they have the same codecs! I use TS with the gang at unreal.ie and here in the house. Easy to set up and u speak, what more u want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

ventrilo is probably the easiest thing to set up.

you have a config file and a server.exe

the codec quality is insane and doesnt sound like a 1960's car radio.

At the moment i think version 2.2.xx is free both server and client

2.3 you need a licence afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Ventrilo is easier to get in and out of and a way simpler program.

Open, connect is right on the screen.. no fumbling into file menu's and ****

also the quality is way better imooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

VentMIX.

ventrilo is linux compatible (well 2.2 at least)

I WIN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

haha linux will always float john's boat anyway ^_~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

How it crushed him when i installed windows on the www.galwaylan.com box :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ventrilo can do 44khz and 16bit, TS2 cannot :\/

Asok wrote:
    How it crushed him when i installed windows on the www.galwaylan.com box :)

Now you're gonna burn!

Roasted Sok anyone?

1. Sound Quality.
    Get some fscking skills and read up on codecs and the correct settings (particularly if you're setting up a server/channel online - consider the connects of your clients). Ventrilo may have a higher quality codec set as the default, but that means if you're on a congested connection you may experience lower quality or greater loss vs. the (assumed) lower bitrate codec that TeamSpeak uses as default.
    Out of all of ye, only Drake, Giblet and Caliden seem to actually know what they're at. Thanks lads smile.gif

2. Ventrillo License
    It's not an issue. I read up on Vent last year, didn't like the non-OSS-esque license, but as GalwayLAN is a NPO/Club type thing, it doesn't affect us.

3. Interface.
    If it's *too* simple, I get pissed off. I like to be able to configure as much stuff as possible, but this must be tempered by sensible defaults. I cannot see how ye can say Teamspeak is complicated, it's one screen. You pop in te details for the server you wish to connect to, hit connect and you're in. It has the registered user option for clans/more organised and regular users.
    No matter.

4. Linux.
    Both support Win32 and linux for clients and servers. Everyone who made an issue of this is a fscking moron who obviously didn't try out both programs, or you would have seen the download links for each version. eejits.

Ventrillo it is.
    Thread locked.

Apologies for strong tone, but I can't be arsed decorating this post with niceties.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement