Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claudio for Newcastle!!

• 15-02-2006 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4717126.stm
    Former Chelsea boss Claudio Ranieri says he could be interested in the vacant manager's position at Newcastle.

The Italian has emerged as one of the favourites to replace Graeme Souness at St James' Park.

He told BBC Sport: "Newcastle is one of the best clubs in England. They are a good, ambitious team and that is very important for me."

But Ranieri, who has been out of management since last February, said he had not yet been contacted by the club.

He said: "I came from Italy yesterday and at the moment there is nothing."

Ranieri, 53, was sacked by Chelsea at the end of the 2003/2004 season after leading the Blues to second place in the Premiership and the semi-finals of the Champions League.

He then succeeded Rafael Benitez at Spanish champions Valencia but was sacked after just eight months in the job.

The Italian is now eager to return to manage in the Premiership.

"I've worked in Italy, in Spain and in England, but at the top I put England," he said.

"I love England because of the atmosphere and the fans. If possible, I would like to return to work in England."

He added: "I am looking for another good job with a club who has ambition.

"Newcastle is a good team, an ambitious team. It is one of the best clubs in England."

This would be magical! Would love to see Big Claudio back in management in England and Newcastle might be just the kind of club that would suit him :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'd love to see Ranieri back in the Premiership.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

All he said was that he would be interested in the job. No contact or anything has been made by Newcastle so as of yet there isnt an awful lot in this story

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He'd definately be one of the favourites in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I have so much respect for Claudio he rocks. I wouldnt dislike Chelsea as much if he was still in charge, and I mean that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Kingp35 wrote:
    All he said was that he would be interested in the job. No contact or anything has been made by Newcastle so as of yet there isnt an awful lot in this story

well i never really alluded to anything else :) just saw that he was interested in the job and thought it would be great to have him back in england. Judging by the other posters reactions here, they agree with me, ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

well yeah, chelsea would be less repulsive with him....perhaps why they got rid of him....to complete the all-round package :)

i dont think ranieri is good enough at the very top, but i could see him improving newcastle a good bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

If Newcastle ever really want to challenge where they and their supporters claim they should be they should have their sights set far higher than Claudio Ranieri.

There was talk of Otmar Hitzfeld during the week. Now if Newcastle ever intend on catching up the gap between themselves and Chelsea at the moment they will need a manager like that, and not some loveable joker.

I reckon most Chelsea supporters will remember him less fondly than rival supporters, which says it all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Claudio Ranieri is class and I wasn't to happy with the way he was treated during his last year at the Bridge - whether he would have been able to bring the premiership title to Chelsea is debatable..

'ex- Chelsea boss to take over at Newcastle' - could have sworn that I already read that headline a few years back........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ranieri did pretty well b efore Ambrovimich, and got them into the CL with less money than Souness spent. The guy is a top quality manager is someone who both Newcaslte could get, and has the ability to take them up a level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

PHB wrote:
    Ranieri did pretty well b efore Ambrovimich, and got them into the CL with less money than Souness spent. The guy is a top quality manager is someone who both Newcaslte could get, and has the ability to take them up a level.

I agree I believe Chelsea would have won the league last season even if they had no changed manager. Ranieri laid the foundations for the current team. Newcastle could do a lot worse than move for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

I don't know, I didn't really want him to leave Chelsea coz lets face it, he's a likeable guy. But I am almost certain that Chelsea are better off with Mourinho than with Ranieri.

I definitely think Newcastle could do better than ranieri anyway.

ranieri built up the foundation of the current squad but dont forget his tactical blunders which cost chelsea on more than one occasion....monaco comes to mind for one
    imo mourhinho is a better manager, though not as great as he thinks he is tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Mourinho is a vastly superior manager to Raneiri. Chelsea may have won the league with him there but it would have been no where near as emphatic as with Jose.

Personally being a blues fan I have a lot of love for Claudio and I really hope he comes back. I'd love to see him back in the prem again.

What most people didn't see is that he did huge work with the young players, where he does his best work, and put the core of the current side together. Don't forget it was also his side (Valencia) that Hector Cuper took to the CL finals that Raneiri built. Plus he reinvigorated their youth setup which is seeing them climb back up now. He is brilliant with youngsters one of the best around and something Newcastle could do with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Newcaslte need to rebuild, they have a tsrong squad, but can't keep spending. They are one of the richest clubs in Europe, and they are a joke, they need a manager who can do what Fergie or Wenger did, not somebody to do what Mourinho did with Chelsea.

Ranieri is the best possible manager they could get. Name me someone better who would want to go to Newcaslte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

be careful what you wish for , newcastle fans. Although I had a lot of respect for Claudio when he was at Chelsea he was a very frustrating manager to watch, he made bizzarre substitutions that undoubtedly cost Chelsea both league position and possibly silver. I think he did a decent job with Chelsea but not sure how he would cope with the task at newcastle, likeable though he may be.

still, couldn't do any worse than Souness i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

newcastle have a gr8 team, any1 wit some knowledge of the game should go 4 it(might send in my championship manager cv)
    Wats the story wit Dyer is he nearly fit again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

im a die hard newcastle fan and my first choice manager would be hiddink. but i doubt we will get him and he will make his decision after the world cup, and newcastle cannot wait that long. so i think we should go for ranieri as he is proven in the premiership and did very well with chelsea. and with a very good newcastle squad already there, ranieri just needs to mold us into a team. something mr souness could not do.

and bazzman, dyer is not match fit, he has come on as a sub in teh past two games, they say that he is over his injury problems so hopefully he will play the rest of the season without breaking down again. he is a very effect player and we shouldnt be paying him 80k a week for sitting on his arse.

p.s why is ranieri knows as the tinkerman? (sorry for my stupidity)

to my recollection he hardly ever picks the same team 2 games in a row, even if its his best team
    not to mention the foolish subs he also made which cost chelsea some important games

p.s why is ranieri knows as the tinkerman? (sorry for my stupidity)

Because of his squad rotation policy while with chelsea and his tactical choices in mid-game :)

sometimes i wish someone would come along after i post and say what i said as if i didn't post at all

...oh wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

alright thanks lol

eyerer wrote:
    sometimes i wish someone would come along after i post and say what i said as if i didn't post at all

...oh wait

Maybe i was typing out my post at the same as you made yours ?

oh wait no! that could never be!

Advertisement