Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Projector Issues

• 15-02-2006 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Here is one I need help with.

I have set up a training room with a dell projector and got a 10 meter cable to run over to the laptop. Set it up all ok, but it didn't work

No signal got to the projector.

So I checked the cable with using a desktop PC to the projector and it worked !!!

Why will the signal from the laptop not reach the projector, is the cable to long?

Has this happened to anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Have you enabled the vga out on the laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

peterk19 wrote:
    Have you enabled the vga out on the laptop

That is usually the problem. Fn & F8. (On a DELL Laptop)

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Pixel8

Desktops always outputs a signal through the VGA port, laptops need to be activated.
    On a laptop its usually something like: hold down the FN key and press F8 (try pressing F8 a couple of times as there are 3 settings, give it 10 seconds between each keypress)

If this doesnt work, usually doesnt on older laptops, then you'll need to go into your "Display Settings / Advanced / Displays" and turn on the monitor there (a red power button for an external monitor)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

defib wrote:
    Hi Folks,

Here is one I need help with.

I have set up a training room with a dell projector and got a 10 meter cable to run over to the laptop. Set it up all ok, but it didn't work

No signal got to the projector.

So I checked the cable with using a desktop PC to the projector and it worked !!!

Why will the signal from the laptop not reach the projector, is the cable to long?

Has this happened to anyone?

Yes the cables possibly too long, I know someone it happened to before, the signal wouldn't transfer more than 5 metres.
    Dell cost cutting at its finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Clank wrote:
    Yes the cables possibly too long, I know someone it happened to before, the signal wouldn't transfer more than 5 metres.
    Dell cost cutting at its finest.

VGA should be good for 10 meters @ 1024 x 768. Try reducing the resolution if you suspect the cable lengh.

Cal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Cal wrote:
    VGA should be good for 10 meters @ 1024 x 768. Try reducing the resolution if you suspect the cable lengh.

Cal.

No no I know VGA can go that far.
    But the signal output of the Dell laptop was so low it wouldnt go.

(It may not be that though anyway.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

Hi Guys

The projector is Dell

Laptop is a Compaq Presario

It works ok with a 1 meter cable

But doesn't seem to work on a 10 meter cable

Any idea how to fix this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

there are 2 options
    1, get another 10 m cable,but a high quality one, it may easily cost over a hundred if you even find somewhere to order one for you.

2, i believe there is a booster box available so you can increase the strength of the signal,
    I googled vga booster box, first hit was this http://reviews.cnet.com/Black_Box_2_Channel_VGA_Booster_monitor_extender/4505-3243_7-31466553.html

hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

your cable is broken - send it back for a replacement - I run a 50 foot cable through my house - no problem std vga connection on graphics card - all this it wont go to 5 10 or whatever without it being high quality or booster is nonsense

Just try a different cable - allcables on ebay are excellent for long VGA cables up to 100 ft in length in work we have a training room with a 75 ft std vga cable again no problem - check the little pins on the wonky cable that they are all there and straight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

Wolff wrote:
    your cable is broken - send it back for a replacement - I run a 50 foot cable through my house - no problem std vga connection on graphics card - all this it wont go to 5 10 or whatever without it being high quality or booster is nonsense

Just try a different cable - allcables on ebay are excellent for long VGA cables up to 100 ft in length in work we have a training room with a 75 ft std vga cable again no problem - check the little pins on the wonky cable that they are all there and straight

Are you sure the cable is broken?

It works with a desktop, but not a laptop?

I will try and get another laptop to try it.

I got the cable from eBay...

Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

does the laptop work with the 1 metre cable - ??
    Another thing to check is enable the CRT mode on the Laptop and reboot - sometimes I found rebooting laptop forces the mode

give it a go anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

would it be a case where the laptop gfx card isnt powerfull enough to push it 10meters?

Maybe try another laptop.

Advertisement