Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

prank calls

• 15-02-2006 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭

I keep getting prank calls from a "no number", number isn't sent, is there any way to find out where they are coming from, or do I have to contact the mobile phone company to get them to block it...

Any help would be appriciated....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the phone company won't tell you who it is. they will block numbers from calling you but only numbers you request. if its on private there's not much you can do. of course, even if you do block the number they'll just get a sim card for a tenner and start again.

all you can do is go to the police who won't do anything unless they're threatening violence. i've been getting prank called for two years now, been to the police twice and nothing was done. i just divert all calls to dominos pizza for a while

also, i know who it is so i phoned up meteor before pretending to be him and said i lost my phone and had his phone blocked. he got it unblocked again but it was good fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

On a lot of mobiles you are able to block the phone itself from receiving private number calls. Have a look at the settings on it and see if yours has that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Farcear wrote:
    On a lot of mobiles you are able to block the phone itself from receiving private number calls. Have a look at the settings on it and see if yours has that.

this would be dead handy but i never found it on any phone. where is the option on your phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

Thanks for the info....

if I had a phone that could block private numbers, it would solve so many problems....

although if someone wanted to contact me and they were using a private number it would be handy if the call went to a voice message that told them the the phone blocks private number calls...

These prank calls are really anoying, they leave voice mails and the like, but I can't figure out whose voice it is.....

Again thanks for the info...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

You can set most phones to not play a ringtone when a private number rings but I never heard of the phone rejecting private numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Actually you could just tell the guards that when you answer the person threatens to kill you or something and then you could get the network to do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Is it the one person do you know?, did you post your number on the net or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

the calls are from a few different people, I didn't put my number on the net anywhere, the thing that worries me most is where did these people get my number from....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

they could have just tried a random number hoping for some response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've seen some Sybian apps which allow you to filter your incomming calls .. don't have the name to hand, but I'll take a look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement