Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Window wiper fluid

Options
  • 15-02-2006 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

Usually I just put water in the tank for this. My dad say's add a few drops of washing up liquid too.

However instead could I put mr muscle window and glass, windowlene or a similar product into it as apposed to water or would that cause damage?

My dad is saying it'll damage the system vut I doubt it. Has anyone tried the above products?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Go to a motor factors. They have special fluid (cheap) which removes tar and grime and dead bugs and stops the wiper blades screaching.

The best solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

B & Q in Liffey Valley sell 5 litres of the stuff too, ready mixed etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Don't put Washing up liquid in, the salt content won't do any favours to your paint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

It would be very dangerous to put Windowlene in as it needs to be buffed. Your wipers will smear it over the glass hindering your view. As other posters have said, buy the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Glass'll take almost anything. But it's the paint you should be concerned about. As John says, washing up liquid will damage the paint job. I'm not sure about anything else, but I'd stick with the real stuff.

If you get it refilled with your oil changes or whatever, and you don't use your washer fluid all that much, you'd easily get away with just topping it up with water now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

your best bet is to use Clearlex additive. it comes in powder or premixed form and really cleans the screen. the reason wipers screech is usually because they have been fitted wrong or they are not angled properly to the screen. get a pliers and twist the wiper end of the arm GENTLY until the wiper is at right angles. you will be amazed at the difference. also stay away from wiper refills as they are not worth the time and trouble to fit them. get good quality blades like Valeo or Bosch and literally see the difference. most motor factors stock these products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

another quick question can I buy premixed wiper fluid at a petrol station also could I get coolant there too.

Finally and a little off topic.

What do people think of the motor oils that bind to the metal parts of the engine. Its supposed to eliminate the grindling sound when you start the car.

A mate of mine swears by it and my cars due an oil change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Don't know which specific oils they are, so elaborate.

otherwise, use whatever viscosity the Mfgr recomments, from a reputable source, Mobil, Esso, Shell, etc.

In 100K miles I don't think you or anyone else could tell the difference between regular oil and the "surep duper" stuff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Bam Bam wrote:
    What do people think of the motor oils that bind to the metal parts of the engine. Its supposed to eliminate the grindling sound when you start the car.

A new term to me. What do you mean?

A good quality oil in acccorance with the manufacturers specs. will protect your engine fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

A new term to me. What do you mean?

A good quality oil in acccorance with the manufacturers specs. will protect your engine fine.

I think the poster is referring to the "Magnatec"?? type oil which is supposed to magnetically stick to the metal parts and eliminate damage when starting. If an engine has not been started for several days, all the oil will have drained off the metal components resulting metal to metal contact damage when starting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I used to use windowlene (actually the cheap lidl equivelent) and it worked fine. The nozzles used to get a bit clogged up though which I presume was caused by it. I bought a load of premixed stuff that was on special in halfords a while ago and that does a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Many of the cheaper additives just use a form of alcohol, as it's a pretty effective degreaser. I do not advise you to stick ethanol, methanol or white spirits (:D) in there though.

I find water can be painfully ineffective after a particularly bad day driving behind trucks and busses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Stick some DOT4 brake fluid in* :D

* Actually, don't

Advertisement