Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to start/take-up shooting?

Options
  • 15-02-2006 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

How much does it cost? Guns, ammunition etc?

Im living in Dublin 6, how far would I have to travel for training/competitions?

Ive done air rifle shooting in Wales before and had the joint best score, but my Im somewhat shortsighted now, is that much of a problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

if your chosen sport is clay pigeons Courtlough in Balbriggan would be your best bet, a good Over & Under shotgun would cost less than 1,000. Cartridges 3.50 a box of 25.

For rifle shooting start of with .22 first, Courtlough also have a rifle range. Membership is 250 a year I think. A new rifle new from about 500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Where is Courtlough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

would you be able to give me some websites for places to buy the rifles (id be into target shooting) or clubs in ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

if your chosen sport is clay pigeons Courtlough in Balbriggan would be your best bet, a good Over & Under shotgun would cost less than 1,000. Cartridges 3.50 a box of 25.

For rifle shooting start of with .22 first, Courtlough also have a rifle range. Membership is 250 a year I think. A new rifle new from about 500.

where can you get cartridges for 3.50?I pay seven quid!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Degsy wrote:
    where can you get cartridges for 3.50?I pay seven quid!!

you should buy in bulk
    a case of 10 boxs of cartridges costs me 40 euro

• Advertisement

Can you pm me your source please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

40euro is about right for 250 28g trap cartridges (decent entry level grade type) anywhere.

I'll be having words with Rory's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

xha1r wrote:
    would you be able to give me some websites for places to buy the rifles (id be into target shooting) or clubs in ireland?

What kind of target shooting? There is a bit of a difference between Silhouette or Field Target and conventional bullseye shooting.

This might be a start for clubs http://homepage.eircom.net/~joecon/irishclubs.html#DRC

Sandy22 wrote:
    What kind of target shooting? There is a bit of a difference between Silhouette or Field Target and conventional bullseye shooting.

This might be a start for clubs http://homepage.eircom.net/~joecon/irishclubs.html#DRC

wow, how come irish hunting websites are so poor/outdated :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Here, try this one. It's our up to date site.

http://fermoyrifleclub.com/

Shar.

LB6 wrote:
    Here, try this one. It's our up to date site.

http://fermoyrifleclub.com/

Shar.

not bad, but that club is too far from me.
    also do any of the firearms dealers have websites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ronnie#1

tuxy wrote:
    not bad, but that club is too far from me.
    also do any of the firearms dealers have websites?

Try http://www.sportsgallery.ie

There based in Kells, Meath

Good range of guns but a bit pricy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

Thanks lads,

Will look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

tuxy wrote:
    wow, how come irish hunting websites are so poor/outdated :(
    The list on the link is a personal website, and is for target shooting websites, not hunting websites. The target shooting community is governed by the NTSA whose website is http://www.targetshootingireland.org/ There is a good links section there for affiliated clubs. The nearest target shooting club to you is BRC in Bohernabreena.

ronnie#1 wrote:
    Try http://www.sportsgallery.ie
    There based in Kells, Meath
    Good range of guns but a bit pricy
    Pricey and only sporting guns sold. If you want to do target shooting, they don't have anything in stock that is suitable. BRC who I mentioned in the previous post, have not been that active in pure target shooting in the last number of years, so you may have to go to East Coast Shooting Club, to see some of that in action. Don't buy anything until you have decided what you want to do. Go to the clubs first. Wilkinstown in Meath, are a very active air target shooting club, and Rathdrum and East Coast in Wicklow are the most active in .22 target.

Degsy wrote:

I was just in there and there's no volume discount..it 5.85 for 25 no 5 or 7 shot.The place parallel to rory's nearer temple bar is even more expensive with the same brand costing 7 euro for 25!

If those prices are for 32 gram game loads they're not that far out of line, but if they're for 28 gram trap loads, that's crazy money.

In any case, pretty much any gunshop I'm aware of prices their cartridges with volume discounts, so some shopping around may be in order.

civdef wrote:
    If those prices are for 32 gram game loads they're not that far out of line, but if they're for 28 gram trap loads, that's crazy money.

In any case, pretty much any gunshop I'm aware of prices their cartridges with volume discounts, so some shopping around may be in order.

Yeah,Eley Super Game,32 gram loads.I cant buy more than 100 at a time according to my licence but the bloke in the shop didnt know that and almost burst out laughing when i asked him for a discount for bulk.The problem is i rarely get to shop outside the city centre during business hours.

That's a decent price for Super Game, IIRC they used to cost about £5.50 in old money. Some travel may be in order cartridge buying?

I presume you're not using those 32g on clays?

• Advertisement

Yer man in the other shop said that was cheap for them allright.I'm surely not using em for clays!Wabbits and woodpigeons mostly!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

Degsy wrote:

Are you shooting eley?---should have kept reading the post...I see you are!!

Eley are a rip-off these days. I use RC for clay shooting, buying in bulk is the only way. I get 500 for €75.

There's a shop in Navan called Clarks Sports Den, Its near to the shopping centre and Mcdonalds...They give good discounts on any ammunition bought in bulk there. During the summer they usually have good deals on 250, 500 and 1000 round buys. Wouldn't recommend buying more than your licenced 100 though, but sure you know that!! ;-)

While I'm thinking about it, If you use your shotgun for hunting and are licenced for such, how can you licence the same shotgun for clay pigeon shooting where you require bulk amounts of ammo...in the case where you are restricted to 100 rounds on your hunting licence.

You can ask your Super to increase your ammo allowance. Saying that you are also shooting clays would be a good reason for this.

Advertisement