Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a .exe file from my C++ code

Options
  • 15-02-2006 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hey could anyone tell me or point in the direction of where i could find out how to make my C++ code into a .exe file?

I need to call the C++ program from within a java program so i need it in .exe form

Thanks in advance,
    Emee

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

You need to compile it. To do this you need a compiler. How are you running it to test it at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭emee

i'm using visual c++ to create my program

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

i think its the same as in C in visual studio.

after compiling look in the debug folder.

there should be an exe in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

press F5

ah cool i never thought of looking in the debug folder :) cheers!

• Advertisement

one more quick and i'm sure stupid question for ye.... once i've got that .exe file will that run on any computer or do you still need a C compiler on the computer?

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

emee wrote:
    one more quick and i'm sure stupid question for ye.... once i've got that .exe file will that run on any computer or do you still need a C compiler on the computer?

Thanks again!
    Do you understand how computers work? Did programs run for you before you installed a C++ compiler?

jesus theres no need for that forget it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

it should run on any machine running windows.

exectly which version depends on the options choosen when it's compiled.

thanks i've had a long day my brain isnt working at full speed all i wanted was a simple answer not a condescending response

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

well if you're going to be programming, you should have at least a basic idea of how computers work... and you should know that a MacOS program won't run on a windows machine and vice versa...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Ah that's a bit harsh lads - it was a fair question, albeit a very basic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Do you understand how computers work? Did programs run for you before you installed a C++ compiler?

I agree with Aidan. If the op cant comprehend this simple kind of simple logical reasoning and takes offence to the implied sugestion that he/she should then maybe programming isnt for him/her.

Emee you dont want to compile into an exe file if you want to call it from java. You need to compile into a dll but not just any dll you can then call the functions in the dll just like you would call any Java method. Google Java Native Interface (JNI) for more info its really not that difficult once you follow a few basic examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

I Loike Computar!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

emee wrote:
    ah cool i never thought of looking in the debug folder :) cheers!
    That's a debug build. Once you're happy with it switch configuration to release and then look in the release folder. The exe there should be smaller and faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Well I don't agree - it's snotty answers like that that stop people asking questions for fear of being insulted if someone decides the question is "beneath them". If you deign a question too simple for you, then let someone else answer it. Otherwise you just end up looking ignorant.

I firmly believe that there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I didn't read it as snotty, I read it as saying the OP needs to do some more research on the basics. I'm allowing it. No more posts about the thread, back to the thread itself please.

Advertisement