Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change Irish class in schools to Irish culture?

• 15-02-2006 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

As we all know, most kids in school hate going to Irish class.

What do you think about changing it from simply learning the Irish language to Irish culture lessons?

This would include -

The Irish language
    Irish history
    Irish dancing
    Irish music
    "What it means to be Irish"
    etc etc.

I think this would be much more interesting and would make more people less likely to choose pass Irish just out of spite (etc.)

I don't believe the current system is working.

Any opinions on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭SeanW

Sounds like a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

It sounds like something that would encourage waffling tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Cnoc16

While I believe that we should retain Irish as a subject, this sould be included in the curriculum. Get rid of algebra to make space :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

Cnoc16 wrote:
    While I believe that we should retain Irish as a subject, this sould be included in the curriculum. Get rid of algebra to make space :)
    Get rid of algebra? Are you mad!?! Get rid of Civic Social and Political Studies or Geography (which has become too wishy-washy). Otherwise it seems like a decent idea but the language is the most important part.

Advertisement