Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoring Tarmac

Options
  • 15-02-2006 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    The drive of my house like every other one in the estate is tarmac which now has quite a bit of moss and some loose gravel where the tarmac is beginning to weather etc.
    I was just wondering what my options are to improve its appearance / long term future?
    Would it be possible to power wash it to remove the moss and then have it sprayed with some tar again or would the power washer be more likely to dig holes in the surface?

Any tips appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can remove the moss by spraying bleach(domestos)around the area and then leaving it.
    brush off with a stiff yard brush.
    Powerhosing will likely eat into the surface of the tarmac.
    You can retar by pouring molten tar over the areas that have crumbled but this is dangerous for the untrained ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Hi CJ,
    Thanks for that, I'm not a big fan of using bleach or any chemicals for that matter but if its the only option then I guess that would have to be it.
    Would it be possible to get a commercial operator to retar it or would they not be interested in that kind of a mickey mouse job?
    I cant see myself doing a DIY on it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hard to get a big operator to do that kind of thing TBH.
    maybe next time the council are doing stuff locally try dropping them a bit of cash to drop a bit of tar...
    Chlorine bleach isn't the worst in this case. just dilute it a bit.
    or if you have a pool use the granular chlorine or go to the local farm supply place and get milking parlour sterilizer all the same stuff.

I was thinking as much (as regards getting it rejuvinated commercially)
    No pool yet unfortunately ;) I'll have to get some from a friendly farmer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Roadstone probably wouldn't be interested but there are plenty of small guys around who can resurface driveways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Be carefull, there are cowboys who pour tar mixed with diesel on Tar to revive it. TBH it looks well but it never dries, it will always be sticky

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dras

Was there not an urban legend that coca cola was used by highway patrolmen in the states to clean blood off the roads after accidents? Worth the price of a couple of cans to see what is does?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Hi all to clear off the moss either spray it dead as suggested or else just keep brushing it off. Moss generally only grows where it is wet so this is probably your real problem. There are loads of people out there who do small jobs like this try giving the likes of roadstone a ring they will probably have a list for small contracts I know Tracey macadam used to do this in the Lucan area. BE CAREFUL there are heaps of the hey boss cowboys out there. I knew one woman who got a call from a group of lads who were laying roadstone supertar they said you could lay it straight on grass no foundation needed!!!

As regards diesel (kerosene fuel) its eats the bitumen in the tar and certain operators Boss pour it over the tar to make it look shiny and give the impression it is fresh and hot even though they have drivin around all day trying to flog it. Tar must go down and be rolled at certain temps or else it dont work.

The other option is to actually ring the council as they prob also have a list of contractors for small jobs and would prob put you in touch with some though you may have to do this on the auld qt

Best of luck

Eddie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Lads., a neighbour of mine, i dont know her that well really. Joys of living in an estate, power hosed of the tar, cleaned it well. Let it dry for a day and then someguy came a long and painted the tar black. now i thought maybe he had buckets of tar, or something, but it was in plastic berger looking buckets. he rolled it on it iwht a big roller. its being a year since and it still looks newly laid. i will ask her if i see her one of the days...it came out brilliant.

Could it be the stuff thats painted onto roof slates to restore them?
    I did a big job on my parents house a few years back & it did a great job alright, it's pricy stuff though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

While I'm not a fan of their products Thompsons do a product for driveways, you could try Colas in Inchicore that is where a lot of the County Councils buy a product called "Colfix".

It is available in 45 gallon drums and can be applied cold although the professionals use a heated tank (boiler) to get better coverage out of it.

Another use for it is to build up low spots in driveways by mixing chippings with the coating, it's the same or very similar product that is used to tar and chip road surfaces.

Take care with it because it goes everywhere if you are not very careful and even being careful only wear clothing that is ready for the bin.

Colfix is a company around the Bluebell area, this must be one of their products I guess. Sounds like a low temperature tar type product? I think 45 gallons would exceeed my requirements slightly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi air,

You don't have to buy 45 gallons if you don't need it, a kind word with he men in the yard will get a couple of five gallon cans filled ;)

You are right about the location and the company, they like Colas are / were subsidiaries of Shell.

Advertisement