Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange Active - Line Still Failing

Options
  • 15-02-2006 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Firstly may I apologize if this question is not appropriate for this forum but desperate times lead to desperate measures .I am in the southside of Cork City and the telephone exchange (Windmill Road) I am linked to is broadband enabled. When I check my line suitability on Eircoms line tester it fails. I have tried my neighbours immediately either side of me and both their lines pass. This would suggest that street i live on is broadband enabled, so following this theory it seems the problem is from my front gate in. I had some phone extensions to bedrooms etc, but even when I went and disconnected these extensions I still was recieving a line fail on the Eircom line checker. So as of now I am at a loss. Any suggestions what might be the cause of this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance
    The Celtictiger

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

it seems the problem is from my front gate in. I had some phone extensions to bedrooms etc, but even when I went and disconnected these extensions I still was recieving a line fail on the Eircom line checker.

even then they may not retest for a month, did you try Smart who are less picky in their test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

As spone bob mentions, the tests aren't done in real time, they are batch tested (usually per exchange) once every few weeks. So, if you can afford to disconnect all your internal wiring (so just the main "master" eircom socket and 1 phone connected) for up to a month, that would certainly help eliminate any internal wiring issues.

It's also possible that you are on a split line (streets/roads/estates share phone lines, in some cases, where eircom can't afford/be arsed to roll out a physical line per customer. If that is the case, you'll usually notice a poor dialup speed (like <=28K) on the line. That's a different ball game.

So try the internal wiring trick, if you can afford that time, and maybe check your dialup speeds before/after to see if you notice any improvement.

All this after trying Smart as SB says!

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

2 and a half years after exchange enabled my line still fails the test welcome to the club i am now hoping for wireless bb, dont get too depressed

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You don't need to disconnect all your internal wiring for a complete month. If you go to www.netsource.ie and enter your number in their line checker, it will tell you the last date that the line test was carried out. Just wait till a day or two before that date in the next month and then disconnect all your internal wiring.

If you continue to fail, check with Smart Telecom. You should also check with Chorus who offer cable BB in many parts of Cork. You might also be able to get BB via wireless from Digiweb Metro.

Another option is if you are friendly with your neighbours, ask them to get the BB in, you pay for it (or share the cost if they want to use it) and connect to it from your house using Wifi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Sponge Bob wrote:
    even then they may not retest for a month, did you try Smart who are less picky in their test.

Smart are more picky, IMHO, as I pass every major test out there EXCEPT theirs.

Hey Pal....find the phone line and inspect it for any major visible physical faults. Look for faulty joints [there should be no joints to begin with, cutting and tying cable unnecessarily is just asking for trouble] cracked cable, damp patches in and around the cable.

Is the line crackling? Do you have a good [clear, no static] line to begin with. If you don't, that may be a problem.

I'll tell you this too: I had the EXACT EXACT EXACT same problem, but Regional BB were going live in my area and someone in Eircom may have lit a fire under themselves and resolved [internally] any glitch which may or may not have been there. Just a theory.

Inspect your line. If that fails, get onto philnolan@eircom.ie and spell it out. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Frustrated_WW

I have tried my neighbours immediately either side of me and both their lines pass. This would suggest that street I live on is broadband enabled, so following this theory it seems the problem is from my front gate in.
    My line also fails the pre-test. I am in a BB enabled exchange, the line in my estate has been BB enabled, the line into my house has been replaced by Eircom recently, yet it fails the pre-test [facility to check which has now been removed from Eircom site]. Interestingly, my neighbours WHO DO HAVE BB have lines which show as failing the pre-test - who can explain that!

Hey- I noticed that too. Eircoms site does not allow you to perform an online line-test. But they offer free connection, if you sign up online. So you get suckered into signing up whilst being deprived of one of your main safety measures against futile sign-ups. Azzholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

IT Loser wrote:
    Smart are more picky, IMHO, as I pass every major test out there EXCEPT theirs.

Smarts test only tells you if you are connected to an exchange which they are in or if its on their network roll out plan.

There is no line test done at that stage

TimTim wrote:
    Smarts test only tells you if you are connected to an exchange which they are in or if its on their network roll out plan.

There is no line test done at that stage

Hi Kaizer:- I;ll try your method. Thanks for the heads up.

TimTim:, what you say makes perfect sense, I never thought of it like that before. Smart should get the finger out. Like Yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

I've just noticed when I do the test it nolonger sez my line fails now its unsuitable have i been upgraded :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

unsuitable is newspeak for fails

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

IT Loser wrote:
    Smart should get the finger out. Like Yesterday.

If they still get offline copies of line quality data, they are still probably subject to licensing restrictions on publishing that data. All the bitstream resellers use eircom online data (with controlled access), for LLU operators it's different. If that's still the case, then Smart can't very well do that.. but there was 1 round of LLU talks since then, so maybe that has changed.

.cg

Advertisement