Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divorce in Ireland before 1922

Options
  • 15-02-2006 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some information on Divorce in Ireland pre 1922, especially circa 1900. This is all I've been able to find:-
    Divorce in Ireland
    The 1857 act did not apply to Ireland. Inhabitants of Ireland who sought a divorce still had to submit a private bill to Parliament in London. All matrimonial suits short of full divorce passed through the church courts until they were disestablished in 1869. In Ireland the separation from bed and board was termed a divortium a mensa et tor and was available on the grounds of adultery, unnatural practices and cruelty. After 1869 the church courts' jurisdiction passed to the civil courts. These records of the Irish courts have not survived. After 1921, Westminster's jurisdiction was transferred to the parliament of Northern Ireland. Divorce in the Irish Free State was not technically illegal until the constitution of 1937, but no bills of divorce were accepted by the southern Irish authorities.

It's from this website:-

http://fathers.ourfamily.com/adulteryengland.htm

I can't seem to find anything else. Can anyone recommend another website or a book on the subject?

Thanks! :)

Advertisement