Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queensryche

• 16-02-2006 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here into them? They've always been a band who are on the cusp of me purchasing some CDs but just lack that final smidge of heaviness which would make me shell out my hard earned. They're getting a lot of press over the Mindcrime II album, I remember hearing the original back in the day and yeah it was ok. There's just something about them which has stopped me from picking up some of their stuff.

That Queen Of The Reich tune, however, is a winner all the way :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

Queensryche were great, mindcrime was their best work. They were a bit more political than the likes of Metallica and that and more guitar orientated I thought. The first 4 or 5 songs off that album are relentless, 'speak' and 'spreading the disease' great songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I started listening to Empire the other day. Good stuff but I feel they have yet to really impress me. I need to give the album a few more listens though so we'll see in a couple of days. :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

My favourite band of all time - they are absolutely amazing.
    Fair enough their last few albums haven't be outstanding, but their older albums are brilliant.
    Have been to see them 3 times & each time they blew me away, especially at Graspop when they played Operation Mindcrime pretty much in its entirety. They even had Pamela Moore with them, so it was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me really as I was too young to see them play this when it was released!
    Go buy Mindcrime, Empire & Promised Land anyway & if they impress buy Rage for Order & The Warning.. The newer stuff is probably more for die hard fans - a bit hit or miss. I do like them, but not anything as good as the old stuff.
    Really looking forward to the new album, hoping its a return to form..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Doctor J wrote:
    There's just something about them which has stopped me from picking up some of their stuff.

Yeah, see where your coming from. I picked up they're greatest hits a while ago, listen to it quite a bit.

toffo wrote:
    Yeah, see where your coming from. I picked up they're greatest hits a while ago, listen to it quite a bit.

If you ever get a chance - pick up Operation Live Crime on DVD or Video. It's really brilliant, they have such energy in it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Has anyone heard the new Mindcrime? I might kill two birds and get the old and new together.

No havent heard it yet, not due out til April.. Hoping it's going to impress.
    Ronnie James Dio is Dr. X!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I've read one review on Bravewords which gave it 8.5 out of 10, but you never can really go on reviews. Since a lot of their recent stuff has been... let's say patchy, do they still have it in them to put out the new album without tarnishing the legacy of the old one?

I hope so! They certainly have the same energy live, even if their recent albums have been lacking! Lets hope that translates to a powerful album!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

i have to agree with oral slang these are my all time favorite band along with gnr,geoff tate is the best all round singer in metal and a huge inspiration to me in that department,the greatest hits is a good starting point but anyone who hasing got mindcrime go get it its a great album start to finish i personally love the likes of rage for order and the warning classic stuff they are all amzing musicians but i have to say after promised land they were a little lacking but it wasint terrible stuff but it seems they got there act back together for midcrime2 heard 3 tracks of it and i have to say between that and chinese democracy i dont think ive been as excited about an album in a ver very long time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Oral Slang wrote:
    If you ever get a chance - pick up Operation Live Crime on DVD or Video. It's really brilliant, they have such energy in it!

Just ordered it from play.com. Ya better be right ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

For me, 'Jet City Woman' is one of the quintessential slightly-poppy-power-metal-chargers of the ages. Ranks right up there with Styx's 'Lady' and (new) Bad Company's 'No Smoke Without a Fire'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was a big fan back in the day I have albums from "Rage... to Empire and had a copy of Queen of the Ryche but its long gone. Soon after Empire I stopped listening to new music full stop so lost touch with what they were doing. They had/have a great mix of talents plus top notch production values.

Mike.

toffo wrote:
    Just ordered it from play.com. Ya better be right ;)

I'm sure you'll love it!

You shoulda priced it on BlahDvd though too, cos its only £5.99 on Blah & £13.99 on Play. That said, Blah are out of stock at the mo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I was a big fan of theirs back in the 80s/early 90s.

I saw them live at least once in Dublin(possibly supporting someone?Accept?)

Anyway,Mindcrime is a fantastic album that still sounds good today.Rage For Order and Warning are also great listens.I could never really get into Empire and gave up on them after that,but those early albums are fantastic.

Have to agree you will not be disapointed with the live crme cd,im not sure if they are still doing the offer but over christmas HMV were selling most of the back catalogue all the remastered version+bonus tracks for 7.99 which is great value IMO and as far as palaying over here I know they supported ozzy over here not too sure which album but they did play here on the mindcrime world tour with the full mindcrime production etc..roll on mindcrime 2!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

I'm listening to 'Empire' right now - I was a fan around the time it was released, but lost interest after 'Promised Land'. I couldn't help thinking at the time (94-ish) that they'd waited too long to produce a follow up album to 'Empire' and had lost momentum...

But they've released some good stuff alright. Are Michael Wilton & Chris De Garmo still in the band?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Agent_X

I love queensryche!!!!:D I canny wait till Operation mindcrime 2 cums out!!!

Have to agree you will not be disapointed with the live crme cd,im not sure if they are still doing the offer but over christmas HMV were selling most of the back catalogue all the remastered version+bonus tracks for 7.99 which is great value IMO

I recommended the video / dvd though because watching Mindcrime is so much better than just listening it!!

peter1892 - Mike Wilton is still with them, but Chris DeGarmo has left, much to my dismay at the the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Oral Slang wrote:
    Ipeter1892 - Mike Wilton is still with them, but Chris DeGarmo has left, much to my dismay at the the time!

Cheers - I had a feeling one of them had left alright. Come to think of it, I've got the 'Building Empires' vhs video somewhere, it had most of the promos they'd done, some old rarities & live material on it...

I bought 'Empire' as a download, because my old tape had worn out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

You'll want 'Rage for Order', O:M and Empire.

I'd recommend Rage for Order first as I think I overplayed Mindcrime and grew slightly sick of it :D

that bulding empires vidoe is class i have it hear id buy it even just for the mtv unplugged stuff....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Oral Slang wrote:
    Ronnie James Dio is Dr. X!

Im gonna have to buy Mindcrime II just for that!!!! I only ever ventured far enough to buy Operation Mindcrime but it has some great songs on it, like "spreading the disease" as someone mentioned and "the needle lies" good band, Geoff Tate is a great vocalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ninjawombat

Mmmmmmm, Geoff Tate. I want his babies. :D LOL.

No, they seriously are one of the greatest bands ever. Awesome music, awesome lyrics, Geoff has the most amazing voice. Queen of the Reich is SUCH a great song! Jet City Woman, I Don't Believe In Love, Another Rainy Night, Spreading the Disease - in fact, I think I'll go listen to Operation: Mindcrime now. Have to buy the DVD. And go to a concert, I've never been. *cry* My dad has, and he's always reminding me of it. haha! They need to come to Ireland on the O:MII tour.

Especially with R.J. Dio in the lineup. Excellent!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Mindcrime II isn't great

And go to a concert, I've never been. *cry* My dad has, and he's always reminding me of it. haha!

You should really try get to see them, they're amazing live. Been to see them a good few times now, mostly on my own as not many of my mates like them & its an amazing experience. They're one of the 1st metal bands I ever got into & still my favourite! Getting to see them play Operation Mindcrime almost in its entirety at Graspop a few years ago was the highlight though...

Advertisement