Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Orchestra now pre-loading

Options
  • 16-02-2006 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I don't know if anyone has been keeping tabs on this game(I certainly have :p) but it can be pre-loaded now on steam and I've just ordered and pre-loaded it already, hehe.

I watched the demo and I think it looks damn good and love the idea of large maps and vehicles(I never got into Battlefield ;)) whilst also being able to use my precious sniper rifle, hehe. I reckon some of you other Day of Defeat junkies like me might take a massive interest in this game. Here's some more info:
    Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45, to give it its full name, is the standalone sequel to the Red Orchestra mod for Unreal Tournament 2004. The team behind it (now Tripwire Interactive) came first overall in the "Make Some Unreal" competition to encourage modding and mapping for UT2003 and 2004, and part of their prize was a full Unreal Engine 2.5 license, the result of which is Ostfront. Tripwire also have a full Unreal Engine 3 license, but they haven't announced anything using it yet.

And for you DoD freaks like me ;)
    wrote:
    Ostfront differs from Day of Defeat in several ways. It is a more gritty game, based on the Eastern front (Germany vs. Russia) rather than Western. Where DOD has sun-drenched beaches and tightly-packed houses, Ostfront has dark, dank ruins and scarred, drizzly and grey landscapes. It prides itself on its realistic gameplay: you won't be running around like you do in DOD, and the balance of flag captures won't switch suddenly. It has no crosshairs, little in the way of a HUD and, yes, really, simulated bullet physics. It is, all in all, a far slower and far deeper game than DOD.

It also features vehicles, but not as you might know them from Battlefield 2. There is no third person view, only eye slits or uncovered seats, and a tank takes three people, not one, to operate. The best way to think about Ostfront is as a military simulator.

Trailer and pre-loading! :v:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

Looks veeery nice, i might get this. Looks alot more serious and less of a fragfest than dod:s tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Going to be lazy and copy a post from another forum :)
    But really, every should at least try this game, its so diffrent from other WW2 FPS's (and not only the fact its the Russian Front we westerners tend to forget about), and is simply brilliant to play, but I can see most people not liking it, as it isnt for everyone, but its so cheap you have little to lose.
    Pugsley wrote:
    For only $25, this game is a bargain, the UT2k4 one was excellent (only reason UT2k4 is on my PC), and now they have full access to the code they have loads of new features, a biggy imo will be the ability to lean, which may seem a pretty moot point in most games, in RO it will mean a LOT.

Its been pretty much the only FPS I have been playing these days, as its still a challenge to play, when I started out it was a real shock to be anywhere above bottom place, it really is THAT hard to adapt to, you will be lucky to get your first kill before dieing 10 times, however now I can hold my own pretty well, usually sit in the top 3rd of servers and life is good :)

The thing that seperates RO from most FPS's is that it isnt your ability to aim that will get you far, it is important, but its far more important to get the first shot, and being able to fire from the hip really can make a diffrence, firing from the hip with a rifle is very, VERY hard, but when you manage it its the most refreshing kill you will ever get in any game, managed to get a kill with a moisin nagant before from the hip at about 15m range with a reflex shot, nearly wet myself :)

Enjoying the german MG's these days too, the MG42 is possably the most refreshing gun to fire in any game, ever, it just feels so powerful, however you quickly feel a little less powerful when you need to change the barrel, which has got me killed more than once, and the MG34 is great once you learn to ration them small 75 round clips and make the shots count, the great thing about the MG34 is you can fire it from the hip, of sorts rather than needing to deploy it, which isnt very accurate, the sheer amount of bullets spitting out the barrel makes it quite dangerous for room to room combat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Interested in this but might be a little too expensive for my tastes. I'd give it a go if it was a bit cheaper. Think I'll wait and see how popular it is and what the general consensus is. If there is a freebie weekend I'll have a go and buy it if I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've too many games on the go atm. It sounds intriguing but I'd side with Retro in that it sounds a bit too expensive to take a gamble on until I know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Interested in this but might be a little too expensive for my tastes. I'd give it a go if it was a bit cheaper. Think I'll wait and see how popular it is and what the general consensus is. If there is a freebie weekend I'll have a go and buy it if I like it.
    If you have UT2k4 try that free version of it, if you like that you should like OST front. If not UT2k4 is probably about €10 now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Somw guy post further down that
    Dont worry, there will be a demo as well.
    so hopefully this is true and i'll get to try it as i'm not paying more money for a mod!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

It's not a mod anymore :p It's a standalone game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

:) yeah i know like CS, DOD etc but ya know what i mean.

Advertisement