Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyres/Shop recommendation

Options
  • 16-02-2006 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭

Howsit?

Need a pointer in selecting some XC tires for my Trek 4300. No idea what tyres were on it when I bought it and I've been running semi-slicks for years now (as it's not been off-road) but they were crap and were binned in short order.

Now, back in the day I knew exactly what tyres I liked on my Raleigh Ravine (when Raleigh made great bikes, LX group, Mavic rims, Zoom bits and pieces) but I've no idea what to look for now. All the patterns have changed and I'm lost quite frankly.

So, who can point me towards a decent, light(ish) set of XC tyres for use on single-track/woodland trails. Don't need anything too heavy-weight as I'm not going to be mud-plugging, just the occasional trip up around Masseys and Three Rock on finer days.

Also, a recommendation on shops to deal with in Dublin would be good. Joe and David Daly used take care of everything I ever needed but they're hard pressed what with Joe's shop being screwed up with the LUAS. They don't have space to carry much more than the essentials and I couldn't be arsed touring around Dublin to deal with idiot after idiot trying to sell me 2.5" DH tyres for a fully rigid occasional use bike.

Cheers,

Gil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

I am running a fully ridig kona and for fun put a 2.45" dh tyre on the front. It was amazing, felt like I suddently had a 60mm fork on the front end! Curbs, then rocks and roots, it was deadly!
    I had a 92 Ravine, thank god that was my last Raleigh! Anyway here's a decent selection for you

IRC mythos XC - light enough, good all round trye
    Panaracer Fire XC - good tyre but can be a bit skittish on wet or loose stuff
    Maxxis Highrollers - very puncture resistance, very good grip
    Tioga Factory 66 DH's/XC in 2.1 - very cheap, good puncture resistance, very good grip but can be a bit unpredictable on wet roads.

Try the Cycle Inn in Tallaght or Cyclogical on Bachelors Walk. Or is you have a credit card, use CRC in the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Ta very much,

Just what I was looking for!

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Picked up a pair of Fire XC Pro's earlier today and went out for a spin. Worked fine but I'm a little wary of the incredibly thin sidewalls - I wanted light treads though so I'll see how they go.

Cheers,

Gil

Advertisement