Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F.e.a.r

Options
  • 16-02-2006 3:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

Anyone been playing this recently ? any comments ? been playing it for a couple of days and i think it is very good !

anyone played it online yet ? any use ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Actually used the bullet time a total of 3 times in the games. Good point about the story, i really did'nt give a toss about it. I also found it repetitive at times, but that being said, i enjoyed the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I just finished it. Good game but I felt there could have been a lot more too it. The last level was to short. However it did scare me ****less at times and there were some excellent cinematic moments. The bullet time worked well, there was nothing like blowing a room full of enemies away in slow motion. Sweet. Think Ill get quake 4 and see how it compares.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I found F.E.A.R possably the most samey game I have ever seen (yes this includes Doom3), your fighting the exact same enemy 99% of the time, the only diffrence is what gun they had and how much health. I also thought the mapping was terrible, this may be because I played it after finishing Quake4, which had possably the best mapping in any single player FPS, it really breath taking at times, and then to move onto the bland square corridors with very little variations in the buildings at all. A lot of people seem to think on the AI front this is the best game ever, but I dont see it, the enemies still just run at you blindly firing a lot of the time, and tend to leave themselves very exposed when their in cover too (ie: a head sticking out over a box, to be promptly blown off). The sameyness also reflects in the weapons, the only weapons useful are the assault rifle and shotgun, no other gun gets enough ammo to warrent keeping with you, you pretty much pick it up, use up the ammo and drop it when another gun comes along, the SMG also has ammo for it, but is obsolete next to the assault rifle (however the SMG is useful in multiplayer due to the increased run speed).

Anyway, I quite simply hated this game, and I have been flamed before for it, so now I shall wear my flame proof T-shirt and all will be well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

I can see how you might hate this game, especially as it promised so much but didn't deliver...

The levels are certainly nothing original - empty office buildings, abandoned compounds etc... lots of crates and cubicles... and the enemies are too, since they are clones...
    But I did develop a fondess for the AI. Their team-work and communication was kinda cool, depending on what your actions were and their use of the environment was clever enough - manipulating objects around them to use as cover...
    And the game did make me jump a few times, but they could have doubled the spookiness and it still wouldn't have been enough for me...
    The array of guns was nothing unusual, but the particle gun was my favourite - being able to sear the flesh off your enemies in one blast and leave a writhing skeleton on the floor was kinda cool...
    The bullet time was good, I think the more you use it, the better the fights become. If you can be creative with it it takes away the sameyness of fighting clone after clone...
    The plotline had potential but was underdevloped...
    I liked this game and give it 8 out of 10 - 1 taken away for unispired enironments, 1 for wasted plot potential...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I loved it. And I certainly rate it higher than borefest Max payne. Levels were a bit samey but I found every firefight different due to the impressive enemy AI. Don't go expecting the next Half-Life. What you do get is an unpretentious cinematic blastathon with some of the most amazing pyrotechnics seen in a videogame and a few decent scares.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

What Retr0 said.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Made the mistake of buying FEAR, Civ iv and COD2 around the same time, so i didn't give FEAR as much attention as i should have. I did find the AI pretty good, with some really great freaky paranormal type effects if you know what i mean.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I just started playing this too. I have to say I think the actual combat itself is possibly the most enjoyable I've experienced in any fps. I think the horror element is done very well - better than doom3 for example.

Level design is very repetitive but who cares when the shooty bits are so much fun. Plot; who cares? I'll buy any sequel in a flash. 2nd fav shooter after HL2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I've been playing online a good bit, as long as you get a good server it's fantastic fun, and there's very little in games as satisfying as killing someone by kicking them in the head. It's also great fun to duke it up with your team mates with ff turned off. There are only a few maps that get played but still I can't get enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

I've been playing online a good bit, as long as you get a good server it's fantastic fun, and there's very little in games as satisfying as killing someone by kicking them in the head. It's also great fun to duke it up with your team mates with ff turned off. There are only a few maps that get played but still I can't get enough.

I think the only thing that comes close to the satisfaction of killing someone with a flying kick to the face, is capping someone in the head from a good 100 yards(ish) with a Kar in COD2 CTF as they're about to capture your flag. :)

/Edit: Or beating someone's head in with a nade. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭garrethg

I was shocked to realise that the developers of FEAR are also the developers of the No One Lives Forever series (not to mention Aliens v Predator 2). It’s not that I didn’t recognise the Monolith name it’s just that I couldn’t gel NOLF’s genuine freshness, interesting level design, and great characters with FEAR’s relentless blandness. As a single player experience, FEAR is the beige of FPS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rebellion made AvP. They used Monoliths engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Rebellion made the first AVP and used their own engine.

But Monolith made the AVP2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Monolith made AVP2 and NOLF2, two of the greatest games known to (wo)man. Perhaps not, but two of my all-time fave FPS games in any case.

<3 FEAR

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

fear is a good game with a typical story featuring slightly above average AI and a great graphics engine.

done :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

a little off topic, but does anyone know where F.E.A.R. keeps its savegames?
    i've got a horrible feeling that they're somewhere on the C drive, which i wiped earlier today:o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

tman wrote:
    a little off topic, but does anyone know where F.E.A.R. keeps its savegames?
    i've got a horrible feeling that they're somewhere on the C drive, which i wiped earlier today:o
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Monolith Productions\FEAR\Save\Profile001\SinglePlayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 stol3n_lif3

FEAR was and still is a great game..
    i completed it in five solid days of furious gaming.. crying.. screaming.. kick the doors.. sleepless nytes... i loved it...

although the end did has a lot to be desired.. i thoroughly enjoyed t.. and have since completed it twice more.. Tried Doom3.. it scared the cornflakes outta me..Still shivering from aftershocks..

But FEAR is mad hard on multiplayer.. serioulsy hard..

Top Game.. Scary moments... A definate mus play game people...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

BO-RING

Couldn't care less about the weapons, enemies are thuck as fick, plot left me wanting to skip through the in-between story bits to get on with the mundane blasting. Also, it relies too much on the flicker-scary-image-for-a-split-second type of horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

I forgot to mention how satisfying it is to get a "headshot" with a bicycle kick in MP mode... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭action jackson

nice to see so many replies ! caused a right stir !

game is not bad and not great, 8/10 i would agree with ! the foul mouthed ai can get a bit repititive sometimes, but is generally quite challenging. still not tried online yet - will when get broadband on my desktop upstairs in a few weeks !!

bought quake 4 around same time, have not really had time to play it yet, played first level on day of purchase, but was not that impressed - perhaps I will grow to love it with time (after bored with fear) !!!

cheers,

action

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Sico wrote:
    BO-RING

Couldn't care less about the weapons, enemies are thuck as fick, plot left me wanting to skip through the in-between story bits to get on with the mundane blasting. Also, it relies too much on the flicker-scary-image-for-a-split-second type of horror.

Please... stop... you're breaking my <3

:(

Advertisement