Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here A mad one for ya ( Smart BB and Eircom line)

• 16-02-2006 4:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭

ok i am stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one!!!! i have a phone line coming in to the house. and i am planing on getting smart broadband but you got to change your number if switch over. my dad needs the number for work and all so that line is out.
    so i was planing to do is get second line one put in, now this raises a few questions that i havent a clue what the answers are, and ether does eircoms web site.
    so there are my questions
    1) What phone line do i need to get? (standard line,hi-speed line,or what?)
    2) Is there a 12 month contract with the 2nd line?
    3) Can i get the 2nd line and not get an eircon number? If yes can i wait till smart give me there number and not pay rental?
    4) And finaly is smart broad band worth all this hassel?

any help on any of the questions would be a great.

Ps. is there any thing i have over looked

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

1. Standard line.
    2. No contract. AFAIK.
    3. No. You must have an Eircom account (and therefore an Eircom phone number) to transfer over to Smart. If you don't, Eircom will refuse the transfer. Ring Smart and ask them about ordering a new phone line. You may be able to order the phone line from them even though it will be Eircom that install it.
    4. From what I've read on Boards and elsewhere it is well worth it. If it was available to me, I'd get it.

When Eircom are installing the line, make sure you tell them it's for BB. They may just split the existing line going into the house which would prevent BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭HighlyCooL

ah cheers mate thats my questions answered so i should be getting smart soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The story about a year back was that if you got a new line in, Eircom simply split your current line therefore making both lines unsuitable for DSL. Not sure if they still do this though but it would definetely be worth checking out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

If your getting a line in especially for smart broadband doesnt it kinda negate them paying for your line rental. Your just paying €35 for 3mb broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Not true - an LLU operator pays line rental (on behalf of the customer) to Eircom - its just at a reduced wholesale rate. Theres no such thing as free copper, er lunch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 oilfoster

The story about a year back was that if you got a new line in, Eircom simply split your current line therefore making both lines unsuitable for DSL. Not sure if they still do this though but it would definetely be worth checking out!
    eircom have told Smart that all new lines will not be served using carriers, however line quality and distance from exchange could still affect your ability to receive broadband.
    Regards
    Ciarán

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭HighlyCooL

yeah i rang smart on monday and they said i cant get broad band coz my exchance is not on line.
    so i think i might get in there fone line and not use it till i get broad band coz they said that the 35 a mount is only for the broad band. and you jsut pay for the calls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 oilfoster

Unless an exchange is unbundled you cannot get our €35 offer, sorry.

Ciarán

Advertisement