Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CastleVania Battle... Yet Another Potential Creative Project...

Options
  • 16-02-2006 4:44am
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Seeing as I ran out of resources for my Guile v Gallon animation and have put it on the long finger for the moment, I've been doing a little research into the story and characters from all the CastleVania games, including a very interesting read into CastleVania: SOTN Biki which has quite a lot of information regarding the castle, the CastleVania characters over the years, all the games and some of the enemies, as well as reviews...

This has nothing to do with what I intend to make, however, but I may as well recommend that CastleVania fans give it a gloss over...

Anyhow, just like Guile v Gallon, I came across *all* the sprites for both Alucard and Richter Belmont from CastleVania: SOTN and intend to animate the two of them in a rather nasty cat-fight.

Anyways, on top of asking who people think should win, I may as well ask about the entire CastleVania series... I've heard that two recent games were planned, yet scrapped, and am pretty sure they attempted (or have) made a 3D version of CastleVania yet ever since playing Simons Quest and CastleVania: Symphony Of The Night, I pretty much left the franchise alone (not because I disliked them, more of the fact that they're all a little samey at this point). Simon's Quest and SOTN, in my eyes, were the best of what I have played to date thanks to both implementing a minor RPG element into the game to make it that little bit different from the usual whip weilding platform bash the rest of games seem to be...

Anyways, any new recommendations / thoughts / ideas regarding any of the above?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Alucard is too damn cool to lose but please don't kill Richter!

I sefinitely want to see Alucard do his telleport slash.

Also I don't see alucards trademark multiple images.

AS for the Castlevania series, I'm a bit of a fan. There were 2 dreadful 3D castlevania games on the N64 and there are two 2.5D games on the PS2. The first PS2 game was quite good but suffered since it got a bit samey. The second game is getting some dodgy reviews but it's mostly because it didn't improve on the first one.

I do think the series works far better as a SOTN type game but would still like to see a traditional 2D Castlevania like Castlevania IV. You should check out Castlevania: Dracula X/Rondo of Blood on the PC engine (not the SNES game). It's the prequel to SOTN and a bloody fantastic game at that. Most of the SOTN sprites were taken from that game. Can't believe you rate Simons Quest so highly. Most people including myslef think it's a bit of a duffer. As for the best in the series it's hard to choose between SOTN, ROB, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow and Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse.

You really should try the GBA and DS games. They're fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

What's the deal with iga not caring about slippy-floating characters? KCEK got the footsteps meeting the ground perfect with CotM, but in all of iga's games on the GBA and DS, the characters move about 1.5 times faster than their feet.

I'm sure most people don't care, but it just irritates me. It smacks of half-assedness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i have no idea who alucard is.
    it was simon belmont in the snes game wasn't it?

after much hyping, i went ahead and played the rondo of blood. granted i found it very hard and just cheated my way through by using save states (its still cheating)
    without doing that i never would have finished it, on level 7 or whatever it was just boss after boss
    and like many games i complete, i dont remember how it ended :)

if i recall it didn't have the 8 directional whip which i found a bit ****, still prefer number 4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Rondo of Blood experience changes on how you play it. Each level has at least 3 alternative ways through the levels that change bosses and what level you play next. There are also the hostages to find and a lovely bonus for finding them all. Saying that, I love Castlevania IV as well. found that harder than Rondo.

The story about the character in IV is a bit weird. It was originally Simon but the timeline suggested that Simon should have been dead for over 150 years before IV. Konami then said it was a remake of Castlevania 1. so yeah it was Simon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

let us not forget Castlevania Belmonts Revenge on the original Gameboy. I spent so many hours playing that game, the music was so goooood.....

• Advertisement

Was that the castlevania game that had 4 levels and was harder than Vinnie Jones on a Stella bender. Loved that game as well. It gets underrated quite often due to the astronomic difficulty level although some of the jumps had to be literally pixel perfect. I remember looking at how many pixels were under the characters feet to judge if I would make the jump.

^ lol, sounds annoying

i knew about the hostages, but only found one, maybe two. but was in some dodgy japanese voice

I've completed IV a few times, but i took the time to actually play it, rondo was more of a quick bash through to see what the fuss was about

still never played SotN though :o

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Was that the castlevania game that had 4 levels and was harder than Vinnie Jones on a Stella bender.

thats the one - Ice castle, rock ? wind ? earth ? i think. Its the only Castlevania I completed. I remember it like it was yesterday. A cold november evening in 1991, electricity had gone out in the area, and there i was with my Gameboy, castlevania cart and 1 candle !

Castlevania_II_Belmonts_Revenge_GBC_ScreenShot1.jpg

I fired it up recently, and amazingly I knew every tune backwards. But those were the days, when you played a game to death, instead of just buying then next one that comes along.

ondafly wrote:
    those were the days, when you played a game to death,

yeah, much different now
    these days as soon as i complete a game i'm looking rid of it, i've even started advertising them as available before completion
    unfortunately noone wants any of them:cool:

ondafly wrote:
    thats the one - Ice castle, rock ? wind ? earth ? i think. Its the only Castlevania I completed. I remember it like it was yesterday. A cold november evening in 1991, electricity had gone out in the area, and there i was with my Gameboy, castlevania cart and 1 candle !

Actually it was Castlevania adventure I was talking about. Belmonts revenge was a much superior game (the third GB castlevania game was even better).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

RopeDrink wrote:
    Seriously... You need to be shot in the face with a nailgun... He's most definately the coolest CastleVania character to date and a sheer joy to play, nevermind take the time to animate in a massive terrain maiming slugfest with the master Vampire Hunter.
    hehe.
    I seem to recall starting a "who the hell is Alucard" thread a few years ago.
    he'd cropped up on one of gamefaq's annual video game character polls and i didn't have a clue who the mofo was (in hindsight, googling would have made a bit more sense:p )

and here i am today, hearting every second of DoS and waiting for the 2 GBA games to be delivered:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

RopeDrink wrote:
    Potential Title Screens - Choose one.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c339/RopeDrink/MISC/RopeDrinksAvR2.jpg
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c339/RopeDrink/MISC/RopeDrinksAvR1.jpg

Also, if anyone can help give me a name for this flick (similar name style to those used for the games) then I'd be most appreciative.
    I prefer the one on the bottom.

I think you should definitely follow the theme of musical types (Aria, Rondo, Symphony, etc.) and not go with the "Dawn" type title. I don't have any suggestions for the moment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I prefer the one on the bottom.

I think you should definitely follow the theme of musical types (Aria, Rondo, Symphony, etc.) and not go with the "Dawn" type title. I don't have any suggestions for the moment though.
    Sonata of Smackdown?:p

Rhapsody of Ruin.

The second title for me.

As for what to call it hmm,

Rondo of Batin's

Symphony of the fight

Castlevania: Richters Revenge.

The clone gate pops out a Richter clone instead of a Alucard boss? It's near the tower as well which would make a great place for a fight.

fantastic so far !

Keep up the good work RopeDrink. Only annoying thing now, is I want to go home from work and play Super Castlevania 4 !

Yeah, this whole thing is making be twitch for some Castlevania action. I've spent hours over the last few days reading all the mythos of the game on Wikipedia.

Good title screen. Definitely keep the nice bit with the two characters running at each other. Makes it feel very authentic I think.

Just got a new step down convertor and my Saturn is back in action. Time to get back into Nocturne in the moonlight again. Yummy.

Ropedrink, How about visiting the upside down castle as well?

I think the new background on the "running bit" works well but only because it goes red at the end.

Nice test scene too. The sound it nice and loud. I never got to play the older CVs so all of the Richter moves are knew to me. And I like what I see.

• Advertisement

Please make sure bloody tears is on the soundtrack. There's no piece of music that defines the series better. Better yet the rock versin of it that is floating about on the intraweb is fantastic and would really suit an over the top fight.

This link here has a midi of bloody tears. It's the first track, daylight 1.

http://supercv2.tripod.com/scv2/music.html

The rock version sounds an awful lot better. Can send you the mp3 if you are interested.

Advertisement