Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open Office

• 16-02-2006 7:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

hi there just came accross Sun Open Office in da last few months, this is totally free and you can save your files in .doc and .xls format if you only need these to applications why would anyone buy MS Office again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

format if you only need these to applications why would anyone buy MS Office again

Because its not 100% compatible. Formatting can be dodgy for a start. I use Open Office 85% of the time, but it's too fickle for a lot of people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Because its not 100% compatible. Formatting can be dodgy for a start. I use Open Office 85% of the time, but it's too fickle for a lot of people.
    Other versions of Microsoft Office / different office apps wouldn't be 100% compatible either - but usually higher than 85%
    For basic users OO all the way. For anyone spending their own money OO too.

If you need the advanced features then you are stuck with MsOffice in which case Ctrl-S every time you want it to auto-save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Other versions of Microsoft Office / different office apps wouldn't be 100% compatible either - but usually higher than 85%

I agree, but the cases I have come across are way outnumbered by the amount of those using OOO.

Still, its a good package at an even better price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

tech wrote:
    hi there just came accross Sun Open Office in da last few months, this is totally free and you can save your files in .doc and .xls format if you only need these to applications why would anyone buy MS Office again
    Because the cost of retraining every secretary in your company, sending your I.T. dept on a week-long course in troubleshooting these applications, and paying for a hefty support contract far outweighs the cost of an MS Office corporate licence.

For home users, I see no reason not to use Open Office, if you're not afraid of getting to grips with a new piece of software. It's by no means unlike MS Office, but it is different and lacking in plenty of the more intricate features which you almost never use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement