Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance coming down

Options
  • 16-02-2006 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

Just got renewal quote from Hibernian (subscribed last year via Tesco) through the letterbox...

Premium last year: a tad over €1100 for a 1.8 MX-5 ('98), 44 kmiles on clock, for 10,000 annual miles or so. Initially still on yellows for about 3 weeks.

Proposal this year: a tad over €700 (and I haven't even contacted them yet to bring down the annual mileage to a much more realistic 1,000-1,500 ;) )

That figure is actually not a million miles away from the GBP equivalent I used to pay while I was in UK with the car on yellows (give or take €150). That's fully-comp' in both cases, btw.

Not all that bad, are they? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ambro25 wrote:
    Proposal this year: a tad over €700

That's a good quote for that sporty little number

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

On yellows?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Well my last renewal with Hibernian went up by about €50 so I switched to FBD and got a quote of €200 less for a better policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

On yellows?:confused:
    Yeh what is he talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

UK reg plate. 'on yellows' :)

• Advertisement

How old are you? Where you live, any points?

Sound like a very good deal.

I'm named (full FR license for 15 years), main driver is wife (full UK license for 13 or 14 years). Both mid-30s, 1 infant. D16. Neither of us any points (thanks Dad! :D ), either in home countries or here. Not that they'd be able to check anyway...yet.

Could also be that I got myself insurance in my own name since, on a bike (with AON). Still with FR license though. Dunno if that would have an effect...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ambro25 wrote:
    Just got renewal quote from Hibernian (subscribed last year via Tesco) through the letterbox...

Premium last year: a tad over €1100 for a 1.8 MX-5 ('98), 44 kmiles on clock, 10,000 annual miles or so. Initially still on yellows for about 3 weeks.

Proposal this year: a tad over €700 (and I haven't even contacted them yet to bring down the annual mileage to a much more realistic 1,000-1,500 ;) )

That figure is actually not a million miles away from the GBP equivalent I used to pay while I was in UK with the car on yellows (give or take €150). That's fully-comp' in both cases, btw.

Not all that bad, are they? :)

Try ringing a few other companies and see how close they come to that figure. Then you will definately know if it is a good price. I find FBD to be the cheapest for me at the moment.

I do intend to do that (no rush yet, end of March).

But you'll find (if you don't already know, which I think you do as a regular Motors poster ;) ) that not many insurers will touch converts in this country.

And still less so when the convert in question is the only one in the Republic of its type! (They'd have a job replacing like for like, put it that way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Hibernian tend to be pretty friendly towrds MX5 owners for some reason.

Noticed that over the last year or so, there's now almost no difference int he type (1.6 or 1.8, Mk1 or Mk2) MX5 that you have. Previously, there used to be a horrendous loading for a 1.8 over the 1.6

Oh, and it's not a convertible by the way, it's a roadster ;)

M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

ambro25 wrote:
    Premium last year: a tad over €1100 for a 1.8 MX-5 ('98), 44 kmiles on clock, for 10,000 annual miles or so. Initially still on yellows for about 3 weeks.

I didnt realise that you could get a quote based on a mileage limit. I thought that only applied to classic insurance or is the fact that it on yellows different. Its just that i would ever only travel about 5000 miles a year!

Well they did ask us how many miles did we expect to cover with the car during the year, which didn't take me aback since it's std practice in UK as well for insurers to do that (as is trying to reduce your premium with reducing your expected mileage - I guess they correlate stated car mileage at start of first policy with mileage at time of claim if any, or otherwise at renewal :confused: ).

I was expecting 10,000 - but then I bought a bike to commute and I've done just under 700/800 in a year in the Maz'. Didn't call the insurers back at the time, I thought I'd make my move at renewal to see if it makes a 'further' difference - I guess now I'll see :)

Advertisement