Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

nokia 6680 on 3, email alerts

• 16-02-2006 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

is there any way of being notified of new incoming emails without having to go to planet 3 and manually check

i can see on the tones what I can choose for email notifications how do i turn this on?

does it have to be logged on to my mail 24hrs a day for this to work?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You goto Messages > 3Mail > Connect
    then leave messages open in memory in the background without disconnecting from 3Mail and you'll be notified of any new mail.

well thats how it works for me anyway :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

and it dont get timed out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Just set it to auto retrieve headers. Mail App doesn't have to run in bg.
    You don't have to pay to retrive headers from 3 so its won't cost you to get them. You can disregard the warning message that says it will increase your bill. That doesn't apply here...

Does hit the batt hard though if you set it to check very regularly.

Phone //> Messaging //> 3mail //> Options (left soft) //> scroll down to.. E-mail Settings //> Select /> Automatic Retrieval /> Set Header Retrieval to Only in Home Network /> REtrieval Days..specify.. Retrieval Hours..specify.. Retrieval Interval..specify. Scroll back to standby screen. Done.

then i gets the pop up message "this will increase your monthly bill"

can you set the automatic retrieval to once a day?

quintron wrote:
    You can disregard the warning message that says it will increase your bill. That doesn't apply here...
    Check your settings. I don't think you can do once a day. Maybe every 8 hours is the max check space..

• Advertisement

thanks for your help

im presuming you have the same phone and network. what do you make of it? i think its great. i was reluctant to leave my old network but feck it. video calls and premiership goals was too much to say no. i think their support service is brilliant. i think the 6680 is brilliant too

Yes 6680 and on 3 net.
    Service is fine. Best I've had to deal with so far and I've been with all nets over the years.
    6680 is a great smartphone but not enough internal memory for multitasking.
    I'm just waiting for the N91 but won't hold my breath!

Video calls were fun for a while but I don't use it anymore.
    Its great for mobile email. Profimail is a great application if you want to upgrade the built in email app.
    Q.

that has a 4gb hard drive in it!!! WOW!!!

do ya reckon three will be bringing them out on the cheap?
    the 6680 costs about €400-€500 and they are selling them of €60...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hmm guess my suggestion was pretty crap....quintron thanks for the info :v:

N91 isn't even out in UK on three yet so my guess is it'll be at least 3-5 handsets down the line, if ever.. 3 Ireland don't even have an upgrade plan in place for users simply because they haven't brought out a new clutch of phones and most people haven't expired their contracts.

They have the Razor3x and the Sony one added to orignal lineup but nothing groundbreaking. I'd say they will wait until late spring or early summer to try to get the summer buzz going and probably add a new Nokia model....N91..a distant option on 3 I'd say mores the pity. 6680 is a workhorse phone though and easily the pick of the current 3 handset crop due to its Symbian OS (though hampered somewhat by the limitations of 3's portal). Friends of mine have the 6680 on Vodafone and though they have a fuller internet access they are surely paying for it!

Also as phones are increasingly becoming multimedia devices as well as phones (see N92) I doubt they will be as cheap (relatively speaking) for a reseller or a phone company.... unless there is a price war which we need in this town!
    3 has generated a bit of a buzz but hasn't had the dramatic impact I'm sure they are striving for yet. Christmas handsets sold from 3 and the subsequent year contract those people signed means that next Christmas should be good for handset sales!!

@ Cabaal ; u welcome :)

Q.

• Advertisement
Advertisement