Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on extension over garage

Options
  • 16-02-2006 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

New to these boards - looked for a post that answers these questions but couldn't find one.

I hope to extend over garage in the next few months. I want to keep garage as a functioning garage (ie not convert) but will have a new bedroom over it. We use the garage as a general workshop for all sorts of activities. Other than putting in a concrete ceiling (which would be too heavy) what is the best way to prevent fumes/smells getting from garage into 1st floor rooms above it. Also, are there fire proofing considerations I should be thinking of?

And I know this is a stupid question, but roughly how much does concrete cost - eg to pour a foundation 50cm deep x 1m wide x 10m long (5 cubic metres of concrete) for instance - I haven't a clue what that would be in tonnes.
    Any help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

Bumping this up. Would still appreciate advice on how to keep garage-type fumes from new bedrooms above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

dunno what dublin rates are like (or if your in dublin for that matter) but i think between 70 and 80 euro per cubic metre

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Vallo

Give roadstone a ring with the dimensions and they will calculate the Cubic metres allowing, for a little in case, and price it for you. Simple enough. Just have plenty of help ready on its arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

vallo wrote:
    Bumping this up. Would still appreciate advice on how to keep garage-type fumes from new bedrooms above.

The easiest way would be to ensure you have proper ventilation downstairs.
    But make sure you dont have a vent directly under one of the up stairs windows.

If the ceiling is properly sealed, then any fumes, etc. will only have one route to travel.

Check out kingspan for insulation products that suit your needs. I am pretty they have fireproofing products that will also provide good sound and heat insulation.

Advertisement