Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking two Dell PCs - problem - help!!!

Options
  • 16-02-2006 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

I have two Dell computers that I despretely need to network together. I've tried running the Home Network Wizard on both but the network does not show.

I know nothing about networking - I'm trying to connect them directly just using a network cable from network connection ports on the back of the PC.

The computers are a Dimension 9100 and a 9150 both running Windows XP

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

You need a crossover network cable to connect them directly. Standard (also known as straight-through) cables only work if you're connecting through a switch or hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

make sure they are both on the same workgroup probably (mshome) and have IP address that are on the same network:

To assign ip manually.

Right click MY Network Places from the Start menu and select to properties.
    Select your network interface right click and go to properties.
    Click TCP\IP from the list and click properties button.
    Check the use following ip address, enter a private ip address. (e.g. ip 192.168.2.* ---- subnet 255.255.255.0).
    If you are connected to a router for internet access, enter its local interface ip address as the default gateway. Make sure that its in the same range. Otherwise leave it blank. Also leave DNS blank.

from here

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭iwhelan

Excellent stuff - I'll make my way to PC World so - thanks for your help!

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Ian i can make you a crossover cable if you want? I have a thread here in the for sale / services offering this service to all members of baords.ie

Advertisement