Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common in all Final Fantasies.

Options
  • 16-02-2006 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

In the ones I've played which were VII ( My Favourite ), VII, IX and X, there is always a person who you fought and always re-appeared and fought a stronger version.

Eg.

VII - Jenova.
    VIII - Seifer, maybe Fujin and Raijin.
    IX - Beatrice.
    X - Seymour.

I haven't played the other games from VII down so I dunno if there was commonly fought people. Didje notice this as well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It's a common component of many RPG's, a bit of a cop out as a story line i suppose, but it's just the way it is, and they're great games

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I guess its also to create a stronger link between your characters and the re-appearing enemy... how would you feel if you spent the entire game watching Seymour and THEN fighting him in his ultimate form... you wouldnt care much for him at all and he sure as hell wouldnt be as intimidating. Same goes for the others too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I like it myself. I'm not mad on fighting some random fellow at the end of a game, I like fighting the same enemy.

It's probably better to have an enemy who appears throughout the story instead of going through all the rig-a-ma-roll of introducing a new enemy, or not introducing one in the case of VIII and IX.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have to agree with Grimloch. Much better to fight a built up bad guy multiple times than get dropped a nobody right at the end. They remind me of The bad guys in Resi 2 and 3, turning up each time nastier and more mutated than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

i think its a good thing too, even if theyre not the final boss. but you nust at least be able to know aobut the final boss before he comes at you, like in VII: you fought jenova 5 or so times, but all the time knowing more and more about sephiroth.

and yeah, i thought that was a great idea in the resi games too, although the final version of the guy in resi 2 wasn't as tough as some of his previous incarnations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Ultros!!!!!
    Yeah, I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

along with that you also have the reaccuring names ragnorock, cid, plus probably about 50 others i cant remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Kraken wrote:
    along with that you also have the reaccuring names ragnorock, cid, plus probably about 50 others i cant remember.

Ragnarok and the likes are from norse mythology, so occur in most of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Plenty of regular stuff can be seen in all FF games
    CHOCOBOS!
    mogs/moogles
    Wedge and Biggs
    "Cid"
    Gil - what exactly is gil?
    a lot of the summons/magic spells ifrit/shiva etc
    The "Comic relief" character
    A world map where the main character is about the same size as towns - (not in FFX/X-2 i know)

I guess this stuff is just their way of making FF regulars feel like they know the games more then those who are starting new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Hercule wrote:
    Gil - what exactly is gil?

The currency... nah, searching returns nothing, so it doesn't exist beyond your console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

I like the idea of the reappearing bosses. I feel that it happens to connect the gamer with the game and its characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Shiva and Ifrit are in every single FF game aren't they? A lot of other names are references to mythology as well. They're all just like links in the series, so you don't have to get used to too many whacky new things in every game, i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

No, the Summons,eidolons, etc... only appeared from FFIII onwards.

Although i think Bahamut and Leviathan appeared as NPCs in FF1 or 2,

I'd say the most common thing is the character name Cid, i believe its been in every game bar the Final Fantasy 1. Is their anything chararcter-wise that has been in ALL of them? Moogles or Chocobos maybe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Moogles were FF6 onwards and Chocobos were FF3 onwards. Bahamaut was an NPC in FF1, king of the dragons and leviathan was a boss in FF1 as well. Not sure if they were in FF2. That game was so difficult and frustrating I gave up. Have to give the much easier GBA version a go. Not sure about Cid.

There is one thing common to all FF games, annoying random battles :)

Edit: Airships would actually be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

SofaKing wrote:
    I'd say the most common thing is the character name Cid, i believe its been in every game bar the Final Fantasy 1.

Yeah he's been in all except for FF1.

Biggs and Wege have been in all them from VI through to X. I don't think they were in IX though and I haven't gotten far enough into X-2 to investigate the matter.

A good few of the tunes have been reused but just slightly modified.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yep, Biggs/Wedge were in FFIX. They were part of the Tantalus gang.

Btw, just started replaying FFIX lately - man o man, i forgot how awesome Kuja's theme is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hobotastic

I think there was an Ifrit-like summon in one of the earlier games called Djinn. Not too sure about it, though. And in FF6 i believe Biggs and Wedge were actually Viggs and Wedge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Hobotastic wrote:
    I think there was an Ifrit-like summon in one of the earlier games called Djinn.

Are you sure you're not getting mixed up with Golden Sun for the GBA?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hobotastic

Fairly sure, since I never played this "Golden Sun". Maybe I'm thinking of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, or something else, something REALLY old school.

Definitely was a Djinn summon. Think it was FFVI (that had Ifrit as well).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Speaking of FFVI, I have to say I really enjoyed it, it comes a close second to FFVII in my all time Final Fantasy game list. For once, the main character (Locke) wasn't Square's 17year old gruff/loner/reckless type that has been atypical of the main character since FFVIII..

Advertisement