Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staunton's First Irish Squad

• 16-02-2006 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

From BreakingNews.ie
    Seven new caps named in Staunton’s first Irish squad
    16/02/2006 - 11:40:39

Stephen Staunton has named seven new caps in his first squad as Irish manager.

Gerry O'Brien, Kevin Doyle, Stephen Kelly and Stephen Ireland were all obvious choices for the upcoming Sweden friendly on March 1.

However, the inclusion of Jonathan Douglas of Leeds, Liam Lawrence of Sunderland and Brighton goalkeeper Wayne Henderson was a big surprise.

Staunton said today that he would choose his skipper when the squad assembles for the Sweden match, with Shay Given the favourite to take over the captaincy from Kenny Cunningham.

Wayne Henderson was sold by Villa recently much to my disappointment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

irish1 wrote:
    From BreakingNews.ie

Wayne Henderson was sold by Villa recently much to my disappointment

Staunton names squad for Sweden friendly

16/02/2006: Steve Staunton has drafted six uncapped players into the Republic of Ireland squad for his first fixture in charge of the national team, next month's friendly against Sweden at Lansdowne Road.

The new Ireland manager has indicated he will give youth its head as he builds towards the Euro 2008 qualifiers, which start in September, and will call upon the services of Stephen Ireland, Kevin Doyle, Joey O'Brien, Liam Lawrence, Wayne Henderson and Stephen Kelly when the squad meet up later this month.

Many observers feel Ireland's inclusion is overdue, given the Manchester City starlet's form in the Premiership this season, but a falling out with previous boss Brian Kerr had effectively kept the youngster in the international wilderness.

Former Cork City striker Doyle has been rewarded for his goal-scoring exploits for championship leaders Reading and will almost certainly be plying his trade in the English top-flight by the time Ireland meet Germany next September.

Republic of Ireland squad (v Sweden on March 1st)

Goalkeepers: Shay Given, Paddy Kenny, Wayne Henderson

Defenders: Gary Breen, Andy O'Brien, Richard Dunne, Joey O'Brien, Ian Harte, Steve Finnan, Stephen Kelly, John O'Shea

Midfielders: Liam Lawrence, Steven Reid, Graham Kavanagh, Jonathan Douglas, Stephen Ireland, Liam Miller, Kevin Kilbane, Damien Duff

Strikers: Stephen Elliot, Kevin Doyle, Robbie Keane, Clinton Morrison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Gerry o'brien???? Liam Lawerence has been playing very well for sunderland recently anfd will be worth having a look at at least. And it will be good to have a look at Henderson because we aren't exactly blessed in the goalkeeping department if Shay gets injured.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Absolutly gutted LT10 isn't in the squad, that's got to be a joke, I know he's bene injoured the last few weeks but his record this year is amazing and for a nothing friendly it was worth bringing onboard to have a look at him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

who the hell is LT10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Yes was also expecting to see Lee Trundle in there??? maybe he is injured though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Seaneh wrote:
    Absolutly gutted LT10 isn't in the squad, that's got to be a joke, I know he's bene injoured the last few weeks but his record this year is amazing and for a nothing friendly it was worth bringing onboard to have a look at him!
    he came back at the weekend, scored a gaol and injured himself in the process, so it may be that he is simply not available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

No Glenn Whelan either

Oh yeah Joey is a midfielder not a denfender, playing there for Bolton because of injury's

This is LT10!

Is Whelan not involved with the u21's?

For me the suprises are not including McCarty from Leicester, Whelan from sheff Wed and God #10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

No real surprises there anyways. Seen Henderson play for the U19s and U21s a few times, always impressed.

Never knew Liam Lawrence was Irish though. This isnt a fecking 'granny rule' call up is it?

I hope all 4 strikers get a run. For ence there are decent options available.

Also good to see Gary Doherty nowhere in sight.

gimmick wrote:
    No real surprises there anyways. Seen Henderson play for the U19s and U21s a few times, always impressed.

Never knew Liam Lawrence was Irish though. This isnt a fecking 'granny rule' call up is it?

I hope all 4 strikers get a run. For ence there are decent options available.

Also good to see Gary Doherty nowhere in sight.

Liam Lawrence was plastered al over the Sun at some stage last year saying he wanted to play for Ireland. Seemily when Mick bought him it came up about playing for Ireland. At that stage was in Championship so wasn't called into the squad.

Kenny(second half Wayne Henderson)

Kelly Dunne JOSH Harte(SH O'Brien)

S Reid Kavanagh Kilbane Duff

Eliott Keane

Bring on Doyle and Clino at half time. Would also give Miller and Lawrence a run out at some stage.

No point playing Given because we already know what he can do but our other goalkeepers need experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I agree that maybe a few other names could have been thrown in there ( David Connolly (Wigan),Daryl Murphy (Sunderland), Paddy McCarthy (Leicster), Alan Dunne (Millwall), Glen Whelan (Sheff Wed),Owen Garvan (Ipswich) etc.) but if Staunton wanted to limit it to 23 then the squad virtually picks itself and that's the right 23 atm imho.

PS: Glad SB10 will have to wait another while too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Big Nelly wrote:
    No point playing Given because we already know what he can do but our other goalkeepers need experience
    He will play though, he'll be "given" the captaincy so he'll need to be on the pitch for at least the first half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

BaZmO* wrote:
    he'll be "given" the captaincy

bah dum tish!

Think Roobie has to be looked at for the captain role as well. Doing a great job as captain for Spurs, has also improved his own game alot since been given the role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pigma II wrote:
    bah dum tish!
    Ahh dank you!
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Think Roobie has to be looked at for the captain role as well. Doing a great job as captain for Spurs, has also improved his own game alot since been given the role
    Robbie will be considered for the Captaincy but I'd be extremely surprised if Shay doesn't get it.

And you're right, Robbie has actually been fantastic for Spurs this season. I think the competition for his place has really made him knuckle down. Not so much of the show-boating and silly tricks that seems to get on everybodies nerves. He's really turned into a team player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Think Given should be handed the captaincy role. He commands the most respect. He's an excellent and reassurring player to have behind a suspect defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Not too many surprises I guess, apart from maybe Whelan not making it with all the rave reviews he's been getting (to be honest though I haven't really seen much of him). Also didn't know Liam Lawrence was Irish, but he's been one of Sunderland's few bright-lights.
    I'd like Keane to be considered for captain as well, I think he's been great for Spurs this season and I hope he continues his form into the Euro qualifiers. Whenever he's been called on to captain Spurs this season he's done it well, and I think that kind of responsibility for his country would keep his game raised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'm interested to see what type of manager he is regarding giving players a run out or, like Kerr, practicing with the full team. ie i wonder how many substitutions he'll make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

The captain has to be an automatic choice - only 4 options Duff,Finnan,Keane or Given. Duffer is not an option and not sure Finnan has the right personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm hoping to see Steven Reid get a run in the team. He started with a bang before the World Cup but then was unsettled by injuries. He looked one of our most creative players against Cyprus and Switzerland when he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i would have liked to see more new defenders added to the squad. McCartney and McShane over Gary Breen and drop a midfielder imo.

A few other absentee's who i'm sure will feature in future squads

McGeady wtf like?
    Richie Foran
    Wes Houlahain
    Whelan
    Andy Reid (still injured?)
    Alan Maybury (we need more cover at left back)
    Daryl Murphy (maybe the next squad if he gets more games)
    LEE TRUNDEL (cop onto yourself Shaneh, and actually call him by his name ffs like, we aren't all on the same planet as you, come back to earth now and then, LT10...in all fairness)

Based on that squad this is the team i would pick for Sweden
    Given (C)

--Kelly----Dunne----A. O Brien----O Shea

--Miller---S. Reid---J. O Brien----Duff

Keane
    Doyle

I know people will disagree with the central midfield for sure, but Joey O Brien and Stephen Reid are the future of the midfeild for Ireland. If they don't start with each other then i would like to at least see them play for a large portion of the match together. Miller on the right side of midfield purely because he is in form and we are limited on the right and i don't want to see Kilbane on the pitch. Doyle over Elliot due to form and fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

why is duff not an option?

obviously given is the most experienced there, but would he have enough influence standing between the sticks?

also, o'brien at spurs looks a good prospect...saw him in the FA cup and some other highlights...seems effective. especially if thats not his proper position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

i would have liked to see more new defenders added to the squad. McCartney and McShane over Gary Breen and drop a midfielder imo.

A few other absentee's who i'm sure will feature in future squads

McGeady wtf like?
    Richie Foran
    Wes Houlahain
    Whelan
    Andy Reid (still injured?)
    Alan Maybury (we need more cover at left back)
    Daryl Murphy (maybe the next squad if he gets more games)
    LEE TRUNDEL (cop onto yourself Shaneh, and actually call him by his name ffs like, we aren't all on the same planet as you, come back to earth now and then, LT10...in all fairness)

Based on that squad this is the team i would pick for Sweden
    Given (C)

--Kelly----Dunne----A. O Brien----O Shea

--Miller---S. Reid---J. O Brien----Duff

Keane
    Doyle

I know people will disagree with the central midfield for sure, but Joey O Brien and Stephen Reid are the future of the midfeild for Ireland. If they don't start with each other then i would like to at least see them play for a large portion of the match together. Miller on the right side of midfield purely because he is in form and we are limited on the right and i don't want to see Kilbane on the pitch. Doyle over Elliot due to form and fitness.

I like the formation but I'd prefer to see Stephen Ireland in central midfield with Reid on the right. I wouldn't like to see Miller anywhere near starting. Reid may not be as effective on the right but hes still a good option there.

It may be a young central midfield but I think now is the chance to start giving youth some experience.

eyerer wrote:
    why is duff not an option?

obviously given is the most experienced there, but would he have enough influence standing between the sticks?

also, o'brien at spurs looks a good prospect...saw him in the FA cup and some other highlights...seems effective. especially if thats not his proper position

are you talking about my team i picked eyerer? I have Duff on the left and did you mean to say O Brien from Bolton?

McGeady wtf like? - As mentioned already he is out with an injury

Richie Foran - Has he been playing well? I haven't heard anything about him. Connolly would be a better option

Wes Houlahain - He has been playing in Scotland for a few weeks. No chance he iwll get into the squad that quick

Whelan - Agree here, should have been included

Andy Reid (still injured?) - out with injury
    Alan Maybury (we need more cover at left back) - not international quality, O'Brien would be better there

Daryl Murphy (maybe the next squad if he gets more games) - Hasn't played enough and didnt set the World alight at Wednesday. Needs more games

LEE TRUNDEL (cop onto yourself Shaneh, and actually call him by his name ffs like, we aren't all on the same planet as you, come back to earth now and then, LT10...in all fairness) - should be included but has been struglling with a few nigles the last while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I would have included:

Wes Houlahan
    Paddy McCarthy
    Aido McGready

Is that O Brien fella the guy from Bolton?

I think Robbie Keane would respond really well to being handed the captaincy. more likely it will be Shay Given, he definitely deserves it over anyone else.

• Advertisement

Is that O Brien fella the guy from Bolton?.

Was with Shef Wed last season on loan and him and Whelan where class together, it was because of him that gave Wednesday the chance to get intop the Play Offs. Shef tried to keep him but Bolton wanted him back because he had done so well

Plays in the centre of the parkj but all season playing in defence for Bolton and has been doing great. Watch the Bolton - Arsenal game in the FA Cup and he was one of the best players on the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Big Nelly wrote:
    Wes Houlahain - He has been playing in Scotland for a few weeks. No chance he iwll get into the squad that quick

Had been playing in Ireland for a while before that too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Big Nelly wrote:
    Was with Shef Wed last season on loan and him and Whelan where class together, it was because of him that gave Wednesday the chance to get intop the Play Offs. Shef tried to keep him but Bolton wanted him back because he had done so well

Plays in the centre of the parkj but all season playing in defence for Bolton and has been doing great. Watch the Bolton - Arsenal game in the FA Cup and he was one of the best players on the park.

Yeah he was quality against arsenal

Why are we considering Lee Trundle? Yes hes got a few tricks and a nice touch but come on seriously people. He is a league 1 player at 30 years of age!!! Are we that desperate that we are looking to scour the lower leagues. I know we are bad when we resort to "The Championship" sides but seriously a bit of reality here folks...

iregk wrote:
    Are we that desperate that we are looking to scour the lower leagues. I know we are bad when we resort to "The Championship" sides but seriously a bit of reality here folks...

How is it bad to "resort" to the Championship? We clearly can't pick a squad from the Premiership alone. If a player is good enough they should be picked regardless of their league, and decent managers and/or scouts should be able to tell a players ability regardless of the league he plays in.

We shouldn't start thinking we are better than we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭tim3115

How long does one have to play outside Ireland to be given a chance?

Talk about a ridiculous statement. Doyle was called up to the squad a few months back and he had only played a handful of games. Did he change much since playing for Cork City? No, I didn't think so.

• Advertisement

tim3115 wrote:
    How long does one have to play outside Ireland to be given a chance?

Talk about a ridiculous statement. Doyle was called up to the squad a few months back and he had only played a handful of games. Did he change much since playing for Cork City? No, I didn't think so.

Doyle said it himself after joining Reading and getting his first call-up: "If I'm good enough now, I was good enough then."

No differaint than someone saying Duffer or Zinadine Kilbane to be honest, and being a swans fan who's been several times to see Trundle in action (and players past like Nugent and co) I'll call him what i like!
    LT10, god, god #10, Magic Daps, Trundinho and the rest, so :P

Apparently Steve Carr is close to coming out of international retirement too...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/4721136.stm

Seaneh wrote:
    No differaint than someone saying Duffer or Zinadine Kilbane to be honest

:rolleyes:
    big difference, people understand who Duffer and Zinadine Kilbane are...as for LT10, just look at how many people replied say who tf is LT10. :)

just look at how many people replied say who tf is LT10. :)

One person as far as I can see...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Delighted to see Jonathon Douglas in the squd. he has been very good for Leeds recently and putting in some excellent performances. Miller has been great as well and looks like the player he was at Celtic. Great creativity and surging runs from the centre are a regular occurance. I have to agree with all the guys who said all he needed was some regular football.

I would have liked to have seen McShane in there instead of Breen but other than that its the right squad. i would definitely have Trundle in there if he was fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

cant see us winning the match though swenden our an experinced side were a smables at the moment really are defence is shocking besides finnin and given. duff hasnt seen much first team football at the moment being used as a sub cole and robben getting his place! robbie keane is doing well And liam lawerence is goona stand out in a **** team like sunderland 10 points in 26 games is rubbish they will set the record again for low points.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    One person as far as I can see...

that maybe true mjs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i dont know who lee trundle is tbh

as for whoever was having a go, i wasn't even talking to you
    someone said duff wasn't an option for captain and i asked why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

MrJoeSoap wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/4721136.stm

oh great...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

iregk wrote:
    Are we that desperate that we are looking to scour the lower leagues. I know we are bad when we resort to "The Championship" sides but seriously a bit of reality here folks...
    That's just ignorance. Not every young Irish player can walk into a Premiership, they all have to start somewhere. There are some great prospects in the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

MrJoeSoap wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ls/4721136.stm

we dont need him! leave him stay retired! :)

That's just ignorance. Not every young Irish player can walk into a Premiership, they all have to start somewhere. There are some great prospects in the Championship.

How can you say its just ignorance? I wan't Ireland to be great again and have great players. You can call it ignorance but I don't believe you can see how good a player really is until they are playing at the top level.

I realise that not every Irish player can walk into a prem side but we are talking league 1 sides here ffs! How many players from Italy, Germany, England etc... are playing in the second and third divisons? None.

A prime example is someone like Barry Ferguson. Great for Rangers everyone raving about him thought he was class. Came to the premiership and got found out for the below average player that he really is. I'm a big league of Ireland fan but League of Ireland players im sorry lads but they are to good enough!!!

iregk wrote:
    I'm a big league of Ireland fan but League of Ireland players im sorry lads but they are to good enough!!!

If I could make sense of that I'd probably disagree.

Well its fairly simple really. For a while league of ireland fans have been calling for more Eircom league players being included in the ireland squad. While lovely and romantic that it is, they are in the eircome league for a reason. They are not good enough!

• Advertisement
Advertisement