Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staunton's First Irish Squad

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    If I could make sense of that I'd probably disagree.

I think he's saying "League of Ireland" players are too good for the Irish team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

iregk wrote:
    Well its fairly simple really. For a while league of ireland fans have been calling for more Eircom league players being included in the ireland squad. While lovely and romantic that it is, they are in the eircome league for a reason. They are not good enough!

Ah right, at least I can understand you now. I was right though, I do disagree. Of course Kevin Doyle will be good enough once he has a few caps and goals, but he wasn't good enough 9 months ago. Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Hahaha sorry lads just realised my typo!!! (but they are to good enough!!!) I was wondering what on earth was so hard to figure out about that statement!!!!

Kevin Doyle as an example I haven't seen a lot of him so to say he will pass or fail would be too much for me to do. But me personally I'd prefer to see how players do at a higher level for a while before throwing them in at international level.

You have judged an entire league (the Eircom League) in one sweep - "They are not good enough", yet you have not seen a lot of Doyle, who was one of the leagues brightest prospects at this time last year. How extensive is your knowledge of the domestic game at the moment exactly?

(And I say "at the moment" because I am aware you have been involved with the league in the past)

To be 100% honest, its not completely extensive. I haven't really had the time to over the past year so if things have improved hugely i will stand corrected.

I am however going on past history here and the general level of play in the league compared to what is required in a european championships or world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Given (c)

S.Kelly
    Dunne
    J' O Brien
    O'Shea

Finnan
    Miller
    Ireland
    Duff

Keane
    Morrisson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Given (c)

S.Kelly
    Dunne
    J' O Brien
    O'Shea

Finnan
    Miller
    Ireland
    Duff

Keane
    Morrisson

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Joey O'Brien has ever played in the centre of defence. He was a central midfielder at Sheffield Wednesday, maybe you are getting mixed up?

Edit: I just realised that, although you have put J O'Brien, you must mean Andy O'Brien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I don't understand why Paddy McCarthy isn't in the team, he is playing very well for Leicester.

McGeady is injured as far as I know.

Suprised Potter didn't get in since he moved to the Southampton he has been looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Read in the paper today that Stan wants LT10 (Lee Trundle) to move up to the championship before he considers him....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

can the trundle chap do that trickery week in week out but more importantly does it work out, is he a team player, looks like a greedy show boater to me, i bet he try's that too often, i'd imagine if he tried that against better opposition he'd be found out, but i will admit he looks great doing it and would like to see him in the green for a friendly but isn't he 29?
    iregk wrote:
    To be 100% honest, its not completely extensive. I haven't really had the time to over the past year so if things have improved hugely i will stand corrected.

I am however going on past history here and the general level of play in the league compared to what is required in a european championships or world cup

so what about all the players that never got a chance in the EL but when went to england got call up, liam o'brien, paul mcgrath etc. also you make a statment to the deathrement of our league without any knowlege on it. come on talk about something you know about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

iregk wrote:
    They are not good enough!

George O'Callaghan is just as talented than any player in that Ireland team at the moment.:)

Everybody looking for a night's entertainment, head to a Cork City match to a ground near you. :v:

agreed on georgie, look at:
    joe gamble
    mark farren
    declan o'brien
    robbie collins
    andy myler
    colin hawkins
    jason byrne
    lee roache
    eamon zayed

i'm not saying that they should be regulars just given a friendly to proove themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

:rolleyes:
    just look at how many people replied say who tf is LT10. :)

i hadnt a clue who he meant by LT10 either, but i didnt want to ask incase i looked stupid :p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

blu_sonic wrote:
    joe gamble
    mark farren
    declan o'brien
    robbie collins
    andy myler
    colin hawkins
    jason byrne
    lee roache
    eamon zayed

i'm not saying that they should be regulars just given a friendly to proove themselves

Listen I'm not that much of a romantic. in general the Eircom League is not full of quality.

Andy Myler, Lee Roche, Eamon Zayed, ...these guys aren't even full time.

Lee Roche is not strong enough for the Premier division yet IMO.

i don't think they should all be in the team but just put into the bracket of good potential

• Advertisement

Sonic, the thing is you can't really say players who never got EL call up but went to england. The truth is this happens so very often. Now its better I agree but in the past the sad truth was that English clubs had a much better scouting system over here than Irish clubs did. So many of my friends playing dublin school boy football got called over to England by numerous clubs (some still playing) without ever even getting looked at by Irish clubs.

Its sad but it happened then and happens now. I didn't make a statement on the league without any knowledge on it. Ok for the past year I haven't been watching as closly but thats due to work commitments. That said I'm sure the league hasn't become fully professional and completely changed over the course of 1 or 2 seasons?

I agree some players can be put into the potential bracket but also consider this. How many players are in the EL by virtue of the fact that they didn't make it in England when they went over? Lots is the answer there. So we can't build an international team on those foundations. As I said, im not looking at friendlies, im looking at World Cups/European Championships. How many league of Ireland players can you honestly hand on heart say without rose tinted glasses would light up those stages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

tim3115 wrote:
    How long does one have to play outside Ireland to be given a chance?

Talk about a ridiculous statement. Doyle was called up to the squad a few months back and he had only played a handful of games. Did he change much since playing for Cork City? No, I didn't think so.

Ahh the usual EL bulls**t! ok Brian Kerr was the first one to say that he would bring in more EL players into the squad. How many times did Wes get picked? if he wasn't good enough then well he isn't good enough now. I would look to Alan Quinn more than Wes TBH. Unless he starts to show his quality(which he seems to have according to MJS) in the Scottish league week in week out because from what I have heard he is a bit hit and miss

This is just the usual hum drum EL league players should be in the Irish squad. Happens on every Ireland squad thread. People research the options

The only ridiculous statement around here is yours because your just quoting without actual researching/considering all the options.

Given (c)

S.Kelly
    Dunne
    J' O Brien
    O'Shea

Finnan
    Miller
    Ireland
    Duff

Keane
    Morrisson

As mentioned already Joey is a central midfielder. He is only playing in defence because of injury problems at Bolton. Sure while you are at it stick Given up beside Keane? sure I heard they where the 2 best players on the Ireland team so stick them up front to score goals:rolleyes:

Also the centre of your midfield is a joke, two attacking midfield players. So who is covering the defence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

blu_sonic wrote:
    joe gamble
    mark farren
    declan o'brien
    robbie collins
    andy myler
    colin hawkins
    jason byrne
    lee roache
    eamon zayed

Roche will do well to make it at Pats, never mind Ireland ffs.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Roche will do well to make it at Pats, never mind Ireland ffs.

Rofl, sad but true! Most of the other players would do extremely well to make the squad, never mind the team.

Maybe the FAI should organise a friendly with the sole purpose of calling up an Eircom League XI, and see how they get on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Haven't seen it corrected in this thread, os i will correct it now.

The reason Foran does not get called up for Irish squads is this:

A few years ago he was a promising member of the irish youth set up. He broke some rules while at an away game or championship, and was sent home as a result of it. He decided he should not have been sent home, and retired from International football.

Plus the fact that he's an absolute nutcase. Oh, and not really good enough in all honesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Maybe the FAI should organise a friendly with the sole purpose of calling up an Eircom League XI, and see how they get on!

I think it'd be a great idea to have, say as a curtain raiser to a friendly such as the Ireland v Sweden friendly, a game between Ireland B and Eircom League XI - assuming the pitch is up to it and most pitches are well capable of having double bills - albeit Lansdowne isnt "most pitches".

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Plus the fact that he's an absolute nutcase. Oh, and not really good enough in all honesty.

You just posted what I was going to say, not good enough and nut case, Didnt he get sent off once and was in directors box and spat at another diector when at Carlisle or whatever lower league club he moved to first

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

blu_sonic wrote:
    can the trundle chap do that trickery week in week out but more importantly does it work out, is he a team player, looks like a greedy show boater to me, i bet he try's that too often, i'd imagine if he tried that against better opposition he'd be found out, but i will admit he looks great doing it and would like to see him in the green for a friendly but isn't he 29?

Age shouldn't matter, what should matter is weather he is good enoughb or not an in all honesty with our striking options I think both him and Paul Hefferan are good enough for a friendly squad at least!
    He does do the tricks week in week out, he wins an amazing ammount of free kicks near the pealty area, he scores goals whenever he plays and he creates a lot of goals for other players becuse he has a great footballing brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Heads up, tickets still available - (0) 1 7037 562

got three east stands, but theres west and terrace tickets available as well.

http://fai.ie/ticketinfo808f.html?hlid=248020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just heard Shay Given on the radio this morning saying that Stan has told him that he won't be given the Captaincy. Said that Stan wants it to go to an outfield player.

I was 100% sure that Shay would get it. Who does that leave now? Keane? Dunne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Its got to be Keane.

Look at his record at SPurs since he got the captaincy. He deserves it, and he can make his Ireland preformances of late like his Spurs ones, we will have a top class striker back in our squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i have my doubts about keanes on pitch captain ability, i feel he can be a bit gready at times and isn't the best team player Ireland has. I'm disappointed its not Shay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

Robbie is having a great season as captain, he really has matured this season. Either him or Dunne will get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i will strike Stan down if Kav becomes captain :mad:
    i'd nearly prefer to see Breen as captain.......nearly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Robbie Keane's going to be announced as captain tomorrow lunchtime. John O'Shea was interviewed in the last hour and said he was delighted for him. Source: SSN.

and good to have Mick Byrne back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

i will strike Stan down if Kav becomes captain :mad:
    i'd nearly prefer to see Breen as captain.......nearly

At least Breen has played in a few Ireland games ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Im a little disappointed Shay will not be given it although I agree with Stan that goalkeepers usually dont make good captains. For me Kean is far too selfish for Ireland. I will reserve judgement until he has been captain for a few gaes but he will have to change how he plays for Ireland before I could consider him the right man for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He's been playing in a much more team oriented way since he was given more responsibility for spurs so Stan is probably hoping this has the same effect on him for Ireland. Hope it does! Im a bit dubious about striker captains, but i suppose he can play form deep enough that he can still impact the team. Pity we have no central midfield/defenders that could realistically take over. Dunne is probably best placed but i dont think he's quite ready yet (hasn't been first choice long enough).

Advertisement