Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wisdom teeth pulling!

• 16-02-2006 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

I post a thread on the boards previously and got some feedback.

I have two problems..

1. I still have two top teeth under the gums that I want to take out
    I want to get them out before they start messing and pushing my teeth.

What are the options? My Dentist said it could take up two years before I get them out by being on the waiting list. I am disgusted with the Irish Health system to be honest :mad: I could go private? or he could pull them up himself, me >>>>(reluctant)

The other problem is going private, what are the cost and difference going this route? My dentist is hungry for money so he is bull****ting his way to the point "i would be more than happy to pull them out when there are up" no thanks mate, the Wisdom teeth will have already done the damage, does he care ? no, quite not...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

OMG am I going to have to wait 2 years to get my wisdom tooth taken out...one of my wisdom teeth is killin me at the moment...I booked myself in next week to get a check-up at my local dentist and was gona ask him to remove it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Oh has anyone else had this procedure done....I'm a total sissy when it comes to havin anythin done at the dentists....can ya get put asleep for it....
    TBH I dont know how he would remove it since nearly all of my wisdom tooth is under the gum...I'm guessin it's gonna be pretty painful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Go private, get konked out if possible, multiple wisdom teeth extraction is not pleasant.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

fletch wrote:
    Oh has anyone else had this procedure done....I'm a total sissy when it comes to havin anythin done at the dentists....can ya get put asleep for it....
    TBH I dont know how he would remove it since nearly all of my wisdom tooth is under the gum...I'm guessin it's gonna be pretty painful!
    had two taken out yesterday, the one on the bottom never came up so it was a big job,the procedure didn't hurt at all, but afterwards :eek: i was in agony yesterday and today but honestley i'm delighted it's behind me, few more days now and i'll be laughing (gingerly)
    the weirdest part for me is the stitches in my gum. so weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I had some wisdom teeth dug out under a general anaesthetic, had to over night in hospital the night before plus had all the nasty horrible hangover feeling of the gen anaesthetic.

My cousin had some wisdom teeth taken out around the same time, and as she had some exams coming up she didn't want the general anaesthetic (which she was offered), so her's were done while she was conscious (she didn't feel any real pain).

But, while my whole face was swollen for days, my jaw tender for a good while and i was taking painkillers for a while, she had a small amount of swelling and that was it.

I know i can't compare 'like with like' as i don't know the exact details of the teeth she had taken out, plus, different people heal differently, but i'm left with a wondering vague suspicion: were my teeth yanked out any which way because i was unconscious at the time, and her's taken out a bit more gently because she was awake?

• Advertisement

i think it might be just how hard it was to get them out , i hada top and bottom removed, top was fine and very quick, bottom took ages and left my face all swollen, it's still swollen now 3 days later from the tugging and yanking

OMG mysterious your dentist is a complete cowboy get a new one straight away!!
    Dentist aren't supposed to pull wisedom teeth at all!because the roots of the teeth grow close to a nerve than controls sensation in your tongue, and if damaged you could left with permanent numbness in your lip and tongue.
    Their are only twenty oral surgeons in the country qualified to take out wisedom teeth, I waited three weeks to get mine taken out by Derek Bell in a dental surgery in cootehill in cavan.I had four some erupted and some which never would have erupted taken out without sedation, took about forty minutes and was entirely stress and pain free, the next week after were awful as i am a complete coward when it comes to pain.It cost about 550 euro for four.
    You could also chose to go to hospital and go under but that freaked me out and would also cost about 1000 extra.
    All but the first 125 euro of work done on pulling wisedom teeth is tax deductable, you need a copy of your p60 and forms MED1 and MED 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I had two taken out at different times because they had come up early,needed fillings which fell out and broke down to the gum line.I have to say the procedure was nothing like as bad as i imagined it would be although i had to sign something to say i was aware of possible damage to a nerve causing numbness.Apparantly the risk of this happening is soemthing like one in ten thousand and an xray will show the proximity of nerves to the root anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Moonbaby wrote:
    OMG mysterious your dentist is a complete cowboy get a new one straight away!!
    Dentist aren't supposed to pull wisedom teeth at all!because the roots of the teeth grow close to a nerve than controls sensation in your tongue, and if damaged you could left with permanent numbness in your lip and tongue.
    Their are only twenty oral surgeons in the country qualified to take out wisedom teeth, I waited three weeks to get mine taken out by Derek Bell in a dental surgery in cootehill in cavan.I had four some erupted and some which never would have erupted taken out without sedation, took about forty minutes and was entirely stress and pain free, the next week after were awful as i am a complete coward when it comes to pain.It cost about 550 euro for four.
    You could also chose to go to hospital and go under but that freaked me out and would also cost about 1000 extra.
    All but the first 125 euro of work done on pulling wisedom teeth is tax deductable, you need a copy of your p60 and forms MED1 and MED 2.

I know the risks, now your're scaring me, :o , well to be honest I didn't want him to pull them at all, as it turned out money and time was against me.
    I'm gettin my bottom one pulled on Monday by him, already on antibiothics to keep any gum infections at bay. I'm also aware not many dentist pull wisdom, but my dentist has done it many times, and pulls teeth out regulury. Now I'm just ****ting the fact, what could happen. I want to go private, but if it cost more than 500 euro I can't pay it? and going Via the Healthboard on a waiting lists is another risk, ie the time ? Two years, not a chance....
    anybody know a few places?
    PM the details of any? I need to get two of the others out in the near future
    The wisdom teeth are so annoying especially when its costly to fix the problem they bloody cause, like giving you unreal pain, gum probs, crooked teeth and serious fullings if ever experienced a filling on it.

well it's gonna hurt your wallet more than your mouth man, i had 2 taken out last week and it was 500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

VHI cover this, and you should not have to be on their dental plan for it.
    I had all four fangs takn out about 5 yearsago. I went private - got them pulled in St. Gabriels Hospital in Cabinteely - was checkedin for the day - got the gaz - knocked out like a pancake.

It cost me 200 irish Pounds. Worth every penny of it - I felt instant relief after getting them out.

Step one - If you want to price going private and have private health insurance, then you should give Bupa or VHI a call.

The two year waiting list does not surprise me in a coutry that left my Grandmother on a trolley all confused after breaking her hip.

Mary Harney is a cheap scummy knacker!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I recently had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled. Within the space of an hour.
    Got it done in the north, where it was a hell of alot cheaper than anywhere in the republic.

Thanks for all the info and updates.. :)

Well My Dentist pulled my last bottom one on Monday, not in to much pain, I was extremely numb and almost passed out with the panick of half my jaw being parazlysed.. :eek: but it seemed to wear off quicker than I expected.

Know probs at all, I'm even eating sandwiches :D

My top ones are going private! I must check out the place in Cabinteely! 500 euro is a alot of money but its a life time job! and We live in Ireland for heavens sake!!!! surely we couldn't complain :rolleyes:

For all thoese who had them pulled

what was the reason for it ?

A. overcrowding
    B. not worth the hassel
    C. severe pain
    D. Cavities
    E aching gums
    F other.

please sugguest your reason, as this will prepare my decision and back my options for keeping them or getting rid of..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

mysterious wrote:
    My top ones are going private! I must check out the place in Cabinteely! 500 euro is a alot of money but its a life time job! and We live in Ireland for heavens sake!!!! surely we couldn't complain :rolleyes:

For all thoese who had them pulled

what was the reason for it ?

A. overcrowding
    B. not worth the hassel
    C. severe pain
    D. Cavities
    E aching gums
    F other.

please sugguest your reason, as this will prepare my decision and back my options for keeping them or getting rid of..

I got all of mine pulled in St. Gabriels in Cabinteely. I kept getting swollen sore gums - infections all the time and they didn't seem to be budging. That went on for a fair few years - from the time I was 18 or so. My parents kept saying "Ohhh, don't get them pulled" .. as soon as I had a job paying enough money after college i got them pulled. Best thing I ever did. Haven't had any infections since - and don't miss them a bit.

I would say a bit of A and a bit of C and maybe E in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Zena

Hi there,

3 years ago I had all of my wisdom teeth extracted. I was always told by dentists that I would have them removed as there was no room in my big gob for them. :D Got it done in Mount Carmel Hospital in Dublin. I had to wait 2-3 weeks for the operation date. Got it done thru VHI.I had to pay a proportion of cost, but it was minimal(can't remember how much)I was just in for the day - Gums and jaw area were a little swollen afterwards, but I had pain killers to keep the pain at bay. I was able to eat soup that evening, so it wasn't at all as bad as I thought it would be! I had heard a lot of Horror stories, but to be honest I thought it was fine.

You will be fine, try not to worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joeblogg1

Had two pulled under general anest with a guy in Dalkey a few months ago.
    History was I was scared S*****less as I had bad experience of dentist as a child. So 20 years later passed out with pain of toothache one night so had to bite the bullet so to speak..
    my dentist sent me private to clinic in Dalkey (nice young guy from N Ireland there did the job). In and out in a few hours with minimal afterpain.

Cost some € 600 aside from what the VHI covered. You can claim back I think 42% of the 600 on end of year Tax Form Med1/Med2:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I had a minorly impacted wisdom tooth 11 years ago, I left it be, it grew sideways and I ended up getting tooth infections on a regular basis. Eventually I went to a consultant who freaked me out so I left it, the tooth was so badly impacted that there was little chance that I would not have nerve damage...I still got the tooth infections...I went to another dentist who took out the tooth beside the wisdom tooth and let the wisdom tooth grow, it still got infected as it never recovered from growing sideways...I got it removed today :) I wish that I had got my tooth removed years ago before it became badly impacted. Too early to say how I feel, it was taken out under a local anesthetic, am having tea and soup but at least the horrible tooth is gone. I got the other ones taken out under local anesthetic and was fine, though I needed at least a days rest afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I got a impacted wisdom tooth pulled in Galway under local anest.
    It cost €150 (though they might have had a special on at the time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Slinky>

I have an impacted wisdom tooth that may need to come out, Where in Galway was this done, Id much prefer local anast
    RedPlanet wrote:
    I got a impacted wisdom tooth pulled in Galway under local anest.
    It cost €150 (though they might have had a special on at the time)

Slinky> wrote:
    I have an impacted wisdom tooth that may need to come out, Where in Galway was this done, Id much prefer local anast

Go to your local dentist and they will refer you to oral surgoen..

I had two pulled out by local anesethic, and my top ones are now coming down, but no problems yet.

I my top one is down already, another one on the way my orthodontist said it's impacting? but I don't feel anything, no pushing either?

Does impacting mean it's out of place? overcrowding? or hitting the jaw bone?
    All i know is that my bottom ones were overcrowding my teeth and i wanted em out, so now everything is fine. I was told though if your wisdom is not giving any hassel then don't get em pulled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Slinky> wrote:

the Gate Clinic it's on Dock Rd, which is obviously by the docks it's new building there. Facing the harbour.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Impaction is when the tooth is prevented from erupting because there is something in the way of its eruption path. The tooth can be butting up against bone or the tooth infront of it. It is usually caused by an abnormal eruption path so the tooth comes up at an angle other than the vertical. Sometimes wisdom teeth can be pointing the opposite way to the way they are supposed to!

It is speculated that wisdom teeth are an evolutionary remnant and that most people don't have room for them in their jaws. Also speculated to contribute to this evolutionary problem is the change in our diet over thousands of years which has reduced the amount of tooth wear between our teeth, which takes away room for the wisdom teeth to erupt. Wisdom teeth are the most common teeth to be missing from the jaws.

Any general dentist in Ireland is qualified to take out wisdom teeth. Most elect not to extract wisdom teeth that require surgery because of the inherent risks involved in that or because of their self-estimated inexperience. Why risk it when you can send the patient to a person who does tons of them every day and has way more experience at removal of wisdom teeth than you? Particularly in cases where the dental nerve in the lower jaw is close to the roots of wisdom teeth or where other associated problems exist (such as cysts). Other advantages of sending a person to an oral surgeon is the availability of general anaesthetic and conscious sedation and the controlled environment of a hospital setting. If something goes wrong during surgery (extremely rare for this type of surgery), do you have backup in a dental surgery? Likely not as good as a hospital.

Surgical extraction of wisdom teeth is considered fairly routine (for oral surgeons) and is not a complicated procedure. It can be complicated by the type of impaction, the relationship of the wisdom tooth to other structures (inferior alveolar nerve in particular) presence of other pathology (cysts, etc) and how deep beneath the gum the tooth lies (if at all).

As far as contribution of wisdom teeth to crowding, most oral surgeons and orthodontists agree that wisdom teeth do not contribute to this problem, however it is a controversial issue in dentistry. In the lower jaw, front tooth crowding is caused primarily by forward growth of the jaw (which can persist a long time into adulthood), narrowing of the distance between the canines and the direction of forces on teeth during chewing. This problem of late development in crowding can occur in people who never develop wisdom teeth. Crowding can also be caused by relapse of orthodontic treatment, particularly if retainers weren't worn for as long as they should be.

As far as different peoples reaction to wisdom tooth surgery, of all the surgeries I have seen (never seen under G.A., but I had all 4 of my own out under G.A. so I can sympathise) under both sedation and local anaesthetic and just local anaesthetic on its own, the surgeries are never performed differently because of the level of consciousness of the patient.

However, if your surgeon recommends general anaesthetic or conscious sedation it is an indication of how difficult the surgery might be for you to tolerate if you were awake, because of bone and soft tissue removal needed in order to extract the tooth. This in turn will contribute to healing time. While under sedation or general anaesthetic, the surgeon will likely use rubber mouth props which can contribute to jaw soreness after surgery.

Advertisement