Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test thread (again)

Options
  • 16-02-2006 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭

Lo all, first off i'm not new to driving. I'm 24 and have been on provisionals since I was 17. Finally after applying for my test a year and a half ago it's due on WEd the 8th in Rathgar (Dublin). I've booked in road tests and all the lark

Trouble is i'd like to study for the test (I have ordered a rules of the road book) but i'm looking for a good online resource which shows the roadsigns and and what you will be asked. Possibly test papers.

There is one thing however that no one seems to be sure on and that is 'progression'. I'e doing 60k/h in a 50k/h zone etc... when is it ok to do this? have you got a limit on how fast you should be 'progressing'.

Any help on the two problems appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's never ok to break the speed limit. Don't delay by taking too long to work up to 50km if you have just stopped, don't stay at 25km, just do 30, or less if unsafe to do 30.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im just going to rewrite your thread:-
    I have been driving for 7 years and am finally going to try and pass the test next week.
    I am planning on getting a copy of the rules of the road before the test and want to find out what the various road signs are.

etc.

Shouldn't this all have been done 7 years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Chris P Duck

I done my test in October and found this book really helpful. It tells you exactly how to drive during your test.

When I was getting lessons I was told to keep the car at around 54kmph in a 50kmph zone, unless it was safe to do so (i.e. Do not do it for example on a wet road).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

If you've been driving for that length of time on a provisional my advice is to read through the rules of the road book a couple of times - and from then on scan it. I had my test yesterday and I was asked about 4 questions from the book along with what 3 signs were. The important point to this is to answer confidently - Id imagine if you're unsure or incorrect the number of questions will increase. Also check the online test http://www.soyouwanttodrive.com/ - this is designed for those applying / sitting the theory test for a provisional license - in the real test you wont get 3 options but I found it useful as a sanity check.

I did a couple of pretests at or around the time of the test a week before in the same area in an attempt to preempt common traffic issues in the area - such as parked cars for footie training, road works or shopping traffic etc.

I also went with a driving school Id never used before to simulate driving with a person Id never met. Since this is what will happen during the test.

The area of progress is very grey - the key to this is to know the general routes where the test is - and to try to associate a gear in your car with around the speed limit ... the idea being that you spend more time doing observation and preempting problems ahead than glancing at your speedometre. But the rule of thumb should be on the limit or a little under. The advice I was given was 'progress' if the phrase 'Ill chance ...' doesnt preceed a decision ... and during the test ignore anyone behind you that seem intent of driving in your back seat

I passed my test, first time out, 12 weeks after getting my first provisional. I took a cancellation and got 10 days notice - practicing the route, and getting the right habits for observation, road positioning and gear selection. Having a good cd in the car made the often boring repetition a little easier and trying to put the test in perspective with tougher things we all have to go through helped alot.

Best of luck with the test - hope some of this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

I was told to keep the car at around 54kmph in a 50kmph zone, unless it was safe to do so

This is just an example of the test in this country!:rolleyes:

Personally i was told that if you break the limit it's an instant fail, because you BREAK the LAW... Just like not stopping at a stop sign or running a red light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

During my driving test I drove 40-45mph in a 30mph zone but was keeping up with traffic, if I had been going slower I would have had a huge queue of beeping angry motorists behind me. I was not told to drive fast by the tester just did it myself. Passed the test anyway. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

My test is Monday the 6th, if anyone knows a driving instructor in Cork with a Nissan Micra, let me know.
    I'm still waiting to get my car back from the garage after being crashed into 3 weeks ago :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

esskay wrote:
    During my driving test I drove 40-45mph in a 30mph zone but was keeping up with traffic, if I had been going slower I would have had a huge queue of beeping angry motorists behind me. I was not told to drive fast by the tester just did it myself. Passed the test anyway. :D
    grrr, angers the blood!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

LundiMardi wrote:
    grrr, angers the blood!!!

What do you think I should have done? Hold everyone up? The tester knew that in everyday life that is the speed people drive on that road, if I was to do the posted 30mph it would have caused mayhem and would that would not have helped my nerves on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I wonder about this too, I sat in the passenger seat earlier and without leaning towards the driving seat I couldn't see the speedo, so in a situation where the rest of the traffic is doing 60kph in a 50kph zone its going to look like i'm not keeping up with the traffic..so will probably have to just judge it on the day and hope for the best.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Well there's no difference in the person ahead of the 45 group letting everyone do 45 and you making a new group with everyone doing 30. You're not breaking any laws and your group will be safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Re Making Progress

You will also be expected to overtake slow moving vehicles if it is possible and safe to do so. The tester will not be impressed if you seek refuge behind a tractor/digger etc. doing 35/40 KPH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

layke wrote:
    Lo all, first off i'm not new to driving. I'm 24 and have been on provisionals since I was 17. Finally after applying for my test a year and a half ago it's due on WEd the 8th in Rathgar (Dublin). I've booked in road tests and all the lark

Trouble is i'd like to study for the test (I have ordered a rules of the road book) but i'm looking for a good online resource which shows the roadsigns and and what you will be asked. Possibly test papers.

There is one thing however that no one seems to be sure on and that is 'progression'. I'e doing 60k/h in a 50k/h zone etc... when is it ok to do this? have you got a limit on how fast you should be 'progressing'.

Any help on the two problems appreciated.
    First of all - 7 years driving and you still haven't passed your test? I hope you aren't driving unaccompanied buddy.

Also, you should know the rules of the road backwards, and you should definately have had the book for the last 7 years. Is there a written test now? If not, you dont need to study, the questions they ask are basic common sense. Make sure you know the stopping distances and things like that (which are ridiculous as they are well out of date).

Progression basically refers to how quickly you get up to speed and being able to maintain that speed. Dont rag your car, and try to keep the revs below 3500rpm, as anything above that is generally classed as boy race :rolleyes: I was told to stick within 10% above the speed limit but never to go above that.
    Lundi - if you think doing 54kph in a 50kph zone makes you a law breaker, then you are very silly :) Your cars speedo generally over reads by 10%, so you'll only be doing 50kph anyway.

Just make sure that your observation is 100% when pulling away for the three point turn and parallel parking stops, make sure you do the 6 point check.

Finally - make sure you get some proper driving lessons, and a lesson and pre-test on the morning of the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I chose to do a pre-exam course and a mock test. As the instructor said, "you'll never drive this way again"( not really the way it should be but you can only pass the test you're given). I listened and got through first time. Agree with all the advice to date and strongly recommend practice, practice, practice. Personally not sure about a lesson on the day. It can work for some people and cause others to panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

esskay wrote:

I know someone who failed because he didn't do what you did.

Thats why i'm so concerned about progression.

I'm doing a few pretests before hand so i'll ask them just in case.

Thanks for response everyone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Oh and the reason I didn't do my test until now was because I went from car to bike then back to car again needing diifferent licenses.During my 1st and second years I was on off the insurance. After I got my second provisional I applied, now i'm on my 3rd.

There was a bit* of lazyness on my part when I was younger i'll admit.

Advertisement