Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Lidl DIY Offers

Options
  • 16-02-2006 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Link

Does anyone have any idea what that vice is made from? Cast Iron or Steel? Does it look like good value?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's a mechanics vice, and these are usually made from cast iron, with steel jaws. For a comparison, a similar vice from Axminster costs £17 (approx €25), so it looks good value to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So no real use for woodworking then? :o

Depends :) The jaws on a mechanics vice are usually smaller, both in width and depth than a woodworking vice, and are usually serrated to grip metal better which might mark any wood you put in them. That having been said, you could just put something over the jaws, like a few folds of paper, or simply replace them (they usually just bolt/screw onto the body) with a couple of hardwood blocks.

I don't know what you're planning on using it for, but if it's to hold pieces of wood for carving, it might actually be better than a woodworking vice. It's bench mounting (which means it's higher up) and swivels around too, although not as versatile as a proper carvers vice which usually has a ball jointed construction to allow you to move the piece into any position you want to.

Yup, I was thinking of it for carving alright. I think €14 is good for what I may be using it for anyway:) I remember seeing sinilar in Aldi, and the guy who was buying it was asking the manager if it was Cast Iron or not, he was telling me a Cast Iron one could shatter with the hit of a hammer:confused:

Thanks for the feedback:)

Well, there's cast iron and there's cast iron. Usually for things like this, it will have been heat treated in some way after casting to increase it's strength. You can also get forged iron vices, which will be a lot stronger, but you'll pay for it many times over. Unless you're going to take up blacksmithing and bash at it with a 10lb sledge hammer you'll be fine :)

• Advertisement

hehe, grand, thanks:) Think I'll get it then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

cormie wrote:
    hehe, grand, thanks:) Think I'll get it then!

i bought one last year, there good for the money. youll always fine a use for it. better if u could bolt it to a work bench..

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Aldi is selling a cement mixer for €200. How much would one cost elsewhere

Narromy, is that on a new leaflet you got? I'm constantly checking their page. Waiting on their powercraft router for €30 to be back on offer:) Any chance it's in the same leaflet as mixer? Haven't got a clue about prices of mixers myself:o

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

If it's an electric mixer, a good new one would cost you about €450/€500.

• Advertisement

I see the site is updated now:) No router:( Angle grinder for €14 though!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

cormie wrote:
    I see the site is updated now:) No router:( Angle grinder for €14 though!

I regret not buying that router myself. There was also a router table the week afterwards. My wife said "and what would you use it for" I since had to get one for something she wanted me to do.

It's an electric one. Don't think i could afford it for € 200 but I will need one in the medium future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Hey Narommy,

I could make use of a mixer for a couple of months basically to save hassle when I'm mixing cement here and there during my renovations and extension. I'm not sure whether I'd be on for splashing out €200 on it though, but if you want to arrange something we could do a deal where I buy it and you agree to buy it off me for a certain price after a few months (I'll be finished with it in the summer). You on for it?

Advertisement