Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check you BT bill for overcharging this month!!

• 16-02-2006 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Just looked at my latest bill from BT online for my BT bb+ and phone line package and it seems at first glance to be about €30 more than i expected. Thought maybe the gf had been making more and longer calls than usual but after checking the call details she hasn’t (well she had a bit but not €30 worth so we'll let her off with that)
    Looked at bill again and the rental was way more than it should be. rang up customer support and as soon as I’d said "ye've charged me too much" she said that there was a problem with the billing for “some” customers this month and that i should receive a letter in the next day or two about this and saying how much i was over charged by and that it'll be deducted from the next bill. Just before i hung up she asked for my landline number.
    This struck me as suspicious. Maybe the only people getting the letter "in a day or two" are the ones who notice and ring up complaining.
    Might be overly suspicious of me but I’m not going to give them the benefit of the doubt given their sh1te track record so i urge all BT customers to check their bills and ring up if ye you’ve been overcharged!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A real live investigation of BT Billing is underway thru here should you wish to give more detail and get it sorted faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

good man sponge bob, I put my own overcharging complaint in , lets hope they do somthing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They have a live file on BT and on IBB , nobody else really at present. If they could help fix those two alone this would be a better country overnight !

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Thanks for the heads up on this - just checked my bill and yes I've been overcharged as well. They have not discounted the line rental to €10 per month as they are meant to do with the Broadband and line rental bundles.
    Waiting for them to call me back now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

Yeah the same thing happened with me. As soon as I saw it on the on line billing I called them. The discount that should be applied for the bundled line rental and broadband was not added. They promised to raise a credit note for the amount overccharged (around €25) that will be deducted from my next bill. Although I'll beleive that when I see it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

I had exactly the same thing, they had not discounted my broadband since i added my phone line. Seems a silly way("convenient" way perhaps?) to do it by doing a Credit rather than just invoicing l lower line rental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭federerfan

I get overcharged every month !

I havent paid a bill since nov 05. Wont either till its sorted...

fedfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

It looks like it happened to everyone. I phoned BT and they said I'd be credited with the line rental discount that wasn't applied this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭KeithMur

bhickey wrote:
    It looks like it happened to everyone. I phoned BT and they said I'd be credited with the line rental discount that wasn't applied this time.

How did stop them, they said that the only way's of payment is either DD or credit card??

They are a pack of muppets.

My account is 100 in credit and cant get it off them. Its my money for God sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Funny, I brought this issue up two weeks ago with BT after my first bill with them and two emails later they still haven't said anything to me at all...

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm pleased with the service itself I'd have cancelled the account straight away. Pack of muppets....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Scruff wrote:
    Just looked at my latest bill from BT online for my BT bb+ and phone line package and it seems at first glance to be about €30 more than i expected. Thought maybe the gf had been ............................................................deducted from the next bill. Just before i hung up she asked for my landline number.
    This struck me as suspicious. Maybe the only people getting the letter "in a day or two" are the ones who notice and ring up complaining.

Surely they should have your landline number? Isn't that how they actually supply Broadband to you?:rolleyes:

On the subject of being credited (eventually!) Why should customers be giving involuntary 'loans' to a big company like Esat BB - why can't they arrange immediate refunds or would that be far far too complicated for them? As I understand it they are very quick to call in debt collectors when they consider they are owed money. Wouldnt it be very interesting if a group of overcharged customers should decide to call in the debt collectors for Esat?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

KeithMur wrote:
    My account is 100 in credit and cant get it off them. Its my money for God sake.
    Sue them for it in Small Claims Court. Also include the interest you would have earned while it was in their hands, and miscellaneous expenses.

Seriously, do it; all of ye. They deserve it -- they need it.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I hate seeing threads like this. I'm waiting on my forms to sign up for BT, I rang them mid week last week and I was told they'd be posted out, rang them on Monday and asked where they were, I was told they would be definitely here yesterday morning, still no sign. Their BB+Landline/Talk Plus package is just so tempting though, €49.82 per month is just a great price for always on BB and free local/national anytime calls. What % of customers do you reckon they mess up billing with?

cormie wrote:
    I hate seeing threads like this. I'm waiting on my forms to sign up for BT, I rang them mid week last week and I was told they'd be posted out, rang them on Monday and asked where they were, I was told they would be definitely here yesterday morning, still no sign. Their BB+Landline/Talk Plus package is just so tempting though, €49.82 per month is just a great price for always on BB and free local/national anytime calls. What % of customers do you reckon they mess up billing with?

It is far better to be seeing threads like this if thats the way they are behaving!!!

Who knows theh percentage - but don't say you have not got enough warnings about them!

Any moderately well run company would have sorted out this mess a long long time ago.

No company that requires a deposit from a customer and whose staff cannot say what conditions apply to the payment and refund of that deposit deserves support - never mind their appalling billing.

Yeah I know, but the price is what is attractive:o May I ask who you are with Dub? I often see you posting in this forum, I presume you know your stuff:)

cormie wrote:
    Yeah I know, but the price is what is attractive:o May I ask who you are with Dub? I often see you posting in this forum, I presume you know your stuff:)

I am with Smart. I hate to see a company like Esat mess people around thats why I post so much against them - attempting to warn people about them.

No matter how good the price is its useless if you have to constantly worry about your billing being off the wall.

dub45 wrote:
    I am with Smart. I hate to see a company like Esat mess people around thats why I post so much against them - attempting to warn people about them.

No matter how good the price is its useless if you have to constantly worry about your billing being off the wall.

I agree, sadly Smart or NTL isn't available in my area yet. How long has all this been going on for? Is it likely to be sorted soon? The savings are quite substantial going to BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Bt still think I owe them 186 euro which i paid via billpay.ie
    They sent us a load of nasty debt collection letters, until i rang them and explained fully. And now they are not sending us any bills, i dunno whats going on with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

cormie wrote:
    Their BB+Landline/Talk Plus package is just so tempting though, €49.82 per month is just a great price for always on BB and free local/national anytime calls.

eh??? whats this about free calls? What option is that??
    I'm on the BB+ and line rental for €50\month and it says nothing about free calls.

Oh and i did register a complain with the CSA as SpongeBob suggested. hope everyone else did too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

i signed up for BT BB in December - took about 1 month to get it sorted then mid way through January I get a bill for €166. At this stage I've called and called and no response... Is there any way to cancel the contract after just two months with them and not get billed for the other 4 left on the contract?

(Also am with Smart in my college house - Best service ever IMHO. I would advise anyone who's considering going with BT to think long and hard about that decision - then look at boards and be convinced they're a useless shower...)

• Advertisement

so i've checked my bill for the next period and BT have refunded me the €23.44 that accounted for the overcharging on the last bill.

however, they didnt refund me the €4.92 in vat i paid on the overcharged amount. Am i entitled to have this refunded too?

Hate the thought of having to ring about their billing again but am loath to let such incompetents away with €0.01 more than they are owed.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

They charged you VAT on a fictitious item so they have to refund it as well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Scruff wrote:
    however, they didnt refund me the €4.92 in vat i paid on the overcharged amount. Am i entitled to have this refunded too?

I'm in the same boat, and I think the sums work out.

The amount you overpaid was 23.44 + vat

This month, your bill should be (let's say) 100.00 + vat.
    They subtract 23.44 from the pre-vat figure.
    So this month, you'll actually be paying 76.56+vat.
    They've subtracted 23.44, from the pre-vat amount, so the nett total on your bill has been reduced by 23.44+vat

Hope I haven't made it even more confusing!!

ah yes, i see what you are saying. too early on 1st day back in work to be doing complicated financial calculations :p

Advertisement