Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

receipt photocopied

Options
  • 16-02-2006 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

Last week I returned an Item to a shop with valid receipt but the attendant informed me that because I purchased the product in another store that shee would have to hold on to the receipt and give me the photocopy. What is the story, I told her a photocopied receipt is useless... i needed the receipt as warranty against other items on the receipt.
    Has anybody ever encountered anything like this before

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

That is very strange, if the store needed a copy of the receipt, they should hold on to the photocopy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Why'd you both need a copy of the reciept? Surely you left the store with your refund?

And if you didn't, you were heading to the other store so there was no need for store A to have a copy of the reciept at all?

And yeh, photocopys of reciepts are useless unless they have reciept numbers or whatever on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ciaranfo wrote:
    And yeh, photocopys of reciepts are useless unless they have reciept numbers or whatever on them.

If it's a photocopy it will have all the details exactly as it is on the original, so its as valid as the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Stekelly wrote:
    If it's a photocopy it will have all the details exactly as it is on the original, so its as valid as the original.
    No it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ciaranfo wrote:
    No it's not.

Unless the shop are deciding to be complete arses about it (they can't really seeing as they gave him the copy) theres no reason to not accept it. plenty of cash-back or similar freeby offers by manufacturers require the original receipt to be sent to them. They recommend the customer take a photocopy for guarentee purposes, this would indicate its a valid receipt.
    The main thing here is common sense, a shop wont refuse it, for no other reason than refuseing it would cause more trouble than it's worth. It will have all the relevant details so theres no reason not to accept it.

Iv'e seen worn receipts (faded due to heat transfer paper) with the receipt number barely visible, accepted numerous times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Stekelly wrote:
    Iv'e seen worn receipts (faded due to heat transfer paper) with the receipt number barely visible, accepted numerous times.
    Of course, since it is the real receipt.

Accepting photocopies opens them up to scams. If I could buy an item €100 less online than in argos (highly probably), I could buy 10 online and 1 in argos, copy the receipt and return them all to argos for a cash refund. Maybe receipts have individual code numbers but some shops may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's very little wrong with a photocopied receipt. Since a receipt is simply a piece of paper detailing what you paid, then the photocopy would suffice. There are no conditions (such as a watermark, company name, etc) which are required to make a receipt "valid". You can write on an A4 sheet, "Joe bloggs paid me €100", and it's a valid receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Trx wrote:
    Last week I returned an Item to a shop with valid receipt but the attendant informed me that because I purchased the product in another store that shee would have to hold on to the receipt and give me the photocopy. What is the story, I told her a photocopied receipt is useless...
    Has anybody ever encountered anything like this before

Why do you need the receipt since you returned it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Trx

Because there was other items on the receipt that I needed a warranty (proof of purchase) For
    Called Customer service and they are dealing with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I would have requested that the shop attendant hold on to the photocopy of the reciept as he/she has seen the original reciept - after that they only need it for their own records and for the details. Normally they would just cross out the product that they have refunded you for with a pen or something and leave the rest alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

You don't need a reciept you need proof of payment. A credit card statement will sufice. In theory the phocopy would do but I would want to keep the original if I was not gettting my return. If I was getting it I wouldn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

So I have a receipt printer and it's not hard to print another receipt out with whatever details.. Most EPOS systems have the ability to trace a receipt by its transaction codes. Also if you pay by credit card then a lot of retailers have the ability to trace back any transactions that the card was used for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

seamus wrote:
    There's very little wrong with a photocopied receipt. Since a receipt is simply a piece of paper detailing what you paid, then the photocopy would suffice. There are no conditions (such as a watermark, company name, etc) which are required to make a receipt "valid". You can write on an A4 sheet, "Joe bloggs paid me €100", and it's a valid receipt.

I cant see how a photocopied reciept is worth anything? I mean the potential for fraud there is immense, its not too much different to photocopying money IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

All receipts are similarly wide-open to fraud though. As jimmy above points out, most modern retailers will have enough info to positively identify a transaction and verify it.

Even if the retailer is using a slightly older till, it should still be possible to trace transactions at the relevant date/time. Failing that, your receipts are easily forgeable anyway.

You could be pretty sure that in cases where big money is involved, the retailer will verify the authenticity of the receipt - you couldn't bring €1000 worth of goods back to Argos and expect to be refunded on the spot - they'd check whether they actually sold that stock today.

Receipt fraud in smaller doses is actually quite common - people claim that they were charged for something they never took, or bring back expired goods, and claim they bought them in the shop that day. Retailers will rarely check up on these, even though the receipt is technically a valid one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

yeah well put Seamus, wasnt thinking of it that way, they would be quick to check on a €1000 return, but something like a cd or something would pass easily, i still cant get it into my head though that shops would actually accept a photocopy of a reciept.

Advertisement