Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rexton RX290

Options
  • 16-02-2006 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Anyone driving one of these seem very cheap , cant seem to find a proper review on parkers or the like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bennyc wrote:
    seem very cheap

For a reason. The 2.9 is an ancient tractor type diesel with very poor performance, the 2.7 is better but more expensive. Looks crap too imho, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

Here's a review showing it's not so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Yeah it does look like a bit of a dog alright, but I was looking at changing the wifes car currently a focus so found my self in the opel garage looking at a Zafira and was then advised on the Rexton. Safty wise the Rexton may be a better deal. But it would have to be a lot better to go for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Indeed the 2.7 litre one is actually more refined, but I wouldn't advice getting the manual box one, the gear shifts are rough (it's like they got the gearbox from a truck or something). The automatic is a far better buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

well the Automatic is the same as used in the Merc ML270, it's bound to be good, shame about the rest of the car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

All the engines and gearboxes are from Mercs. Even the 3.2 V6 petrol is from an S-Class! The Rextons aren't that bad compaired to what else Ssangsong has to offer, like the Rodius and Kyron, now they're hideous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did you look at the Kia Sorento as an alternative? It looks and drives alot better than the Rexton. They are around the same price too and the diesel is 2.5 rather than the 2.9 of the Rexton. Build quality is also better than the Rexton.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=364499
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=339650

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

bennyc wrote:
    Yeah it does look like a bit of a dog alright, but I was looking at changing the wifes car currently a focus so found my self in the opel garage looking at a Zafira and was then advised on the Rexton. Safty wise the Rexton may be a better deal. But it would have to be a lot better to go for one.

The Zafira has a 5-star NCAP rating (5/5, 2/4, 4/5 for adult/pedestrian and child safety respectively)... safety isn't in the size of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

and the Zafira may be actually worth something in a few years..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joeblogg1

Geez BAZZ26 you must be a farmer and well used to driving a tractor

I have a 2.7 Xdi Rexton (2.7 diesel not the admittedly crap 2.9 Petrol) and I wouldnt swap it for the world. To date I have done over 30,000 miles in the last 12 months in it aqnd its brilliant. I have driven the Sorrento and a Pajero on many occassions and both sound and feel like a tractor in comparison to the Rexton

I agree with what was said earlier on the gearbox, the SSangyong manual box is rubbish but the Merc Auto gearbox fitted in mine is the bees knees

joeblogg1 wrote:
    not the admittedly crap 2.9 Petrol

The 2.9 is a diesel too as I pointed out...

• Advertisement

joeblogg1 wrote:
    Geez BAZZ26 you must be a farmer and well used to driving a tractor

I have a 2.7 Xdi Rexton (2.7 diesel not the admittedly crap 2.9 Petrol) and I wouldnt swap it for the world. To date I have done over 30,000 miles in the last 12 months in it aqnd its brilliant. I have driven the Sorrento and a Pajero on many occassions and both sound and feel like a tractor in comparison to the Rexton

I agree with what was said earlier on the gearbox, the SSangyong manual box is rubbish but the Merc Auto gearbox fitted in mine is the bees knees

No not a farmer but my uncle drove one for a company and hated it, he complained it was noisy and that the interior rattled like crazy. Maybe he had a bad one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joeblogg1

Sorry Bazz26 no offence intended (I used to be a farmer until I moved to the big smoke)

I reckon uncle definitely got a Monday morning one as I aint heard even one rattle in the 18 months I have the Rexton and the engine is definitely a lot quieter than the Sorrento. I have had a few passengers comment on how quiet it is for a diesel engine. One of the guys at work has driven my Rexton also. He has an E200 Merc Auto and he is amazed at how much more poke is in my Rexton

joeblogg1 wrote:
    Sorry Bazz26 no offence intended (I used to be a farmer until I moved to the big smoke)

I reckon uncle definitely got a Monday morning one as I aint heard even one rattle in the 18 months I have the Rexton and the engine is definitely a lot quieter than the Sorrento. I have had a few passengers comment on how quiet it is for a diesel engine. One of the guys at work has driven my Rexton also. He has an E200 Merc Auto and he is amazed at how much more poke is in my Rexton

No offence taken at all, without different opinions this forum would be boring. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

A mate of mine wants to spend 37k on a new one of these things.

I've tried talking sense to him... I've tried telling him a new Landcruiser will cost 4 grand less and he will lose about €1,000 on it in a year but he's convinced because the Rectum has a few bits from the Merc parts bin that it'll be rock solid. Oh how I laughed. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling these bargin SUVs will have lots of hidden costs.

Big Balls wrote:
    he's convinced because the Rectum has a few bits from the Merc parts bin that it'll be rock solid. Oh how I laughed. :rolleyes:

LOL :)
    Big Balls wrote:
    I've tried telling him a new Landcruiser will cost 4 grand less

Well in fairness, the 2.9D Rectum lists at €37k, the cheapest 5 door Landcruiser is €64k. Where did you get that the Landcruiser is cheaper? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Liquid Gold

Big Balls wrote:
    A mate of mine wants to spend 37k on a new one of these things.

I've tried talking sense to him... I've tried telling him a new Landcruiser will cost 4 grand less and he will lose about €1,000 on it in a year but he's convinced because the Rectum has a few bits from the Merc parts bin that it'll be rock solid. Oh how I laughed. :rolleyes:

I can't see how you could find a comparable land cruiser for 4 grand less. Not unless you are taking a top of the range Rexton 7 seater TS against a bottom of the range bog standard commercial Landcruiser. Which is a bit like thinking a Garden shed in fox rock beats a 5 bed mansion with swimming pool in tallaght hands down. Hey.. but it is fox rock after all! ;)
    For example the 2.9TD Rexton is 22,500 ish ex vat/works V's 30,750 ish ex vat/works for the land crousier. And that "gap" only broadens as you take each model up the spec tables. The same gap also apllies to second hand values.

There is no doubt that the land cruiser is the top of its class. It is a work horse like no other, and as such it gets a premium. Which does not mean it has the comparable "value".
    But you have to compare like with like. The current Rexton is not in the same segment as the Land Cruiser/Range Rover. Though as far as 4x4 technology goes the Rexton out performs all the competition (including the land cruiser)bar the good old Land rover defender. I believe the guys over at http://www.irelandxtreme.ie/ can confirm that. I believe they even used Rextons at the recent RDS xtreme show.

Benny if you want to look at a comparable vehicle the the Kia/Hyundi is where you should be looking. Personally I only like the TOD Rextons as they have the flat wheel hubs. I have also driven the 3.2 petrol top of the range. I was quite frightened that some thing that big could move so fast. Seriously.

I wouldn't go for the 2.9TD unless you were looking for one second hand for around the farm/building site. It is commercial orientated tbh and as far as I am aware is *cough* no longer made.
    The 2.7 xdi is a different story. It is a fine thing. So much so I believe about 840 were sold in ireland last year, making it the 4th best selling 4x4. I can't remember if it was the land cruiser of the Range rover that came third by four units.

It may be worth your while looking at the Kyron too if you are re visiting the opel? :confused: dealer. It only a 2.0 xdi though. But it does come in 2wd. Unless you intend your wife to go off road :) I'd recommened re spraying that stupid silver back bit though. I dunno why the Koreans always put a weird bit on the vehicles!

best of luck with what ever you get!

Advertisement